Setup help?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Garasaki

Re: Setup help?

Post by Garasaki »

Took me a while to get used to the throttle on the right analoge stick too. I like it now - although to be honest 98% of the time my thottle is wide open.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
VMX_SKYmx99
Team: BOMR

Post by VMX_SKYmx99 »

Leaning back is my biggest problem. I am getting much better about it, but after YEARS of MCM2 and MVA it is a hard habit to break. :D
Griggsy

Post by Griggsy »

Garasaki wrote: although to be honest 98% of the time my thottle is wide open.
LOL :lol:
yomo

Post by yomo »

i just use the stick for throttle and use both triggers on the PS# controller for front and back brake... works really well for me.
VMX_SKYmx99 wrote:Leaning back is my biggest problem. I am getting much better about it, but after YEARS of MCM2 and MVA it is a hard habit to break. :D
heheh yeah i was thinking that MX vs ATV was the culprit for most people
Griggsy

Post by Griggsy »

Hi again, can I ask what buttons you use for the gears Yomo?

I have them on the front buttons on my gamepad but now have assigned both brakes(and throttle) to my analog stick and it feels a bit strange.

Griggsy.

In short

L1-Shift Down and rear brake

R1-Shift Up

Left Stick- Lean Left/Right... Forward and Back-Rider Position

Right Stick- Pull Back-Throttle. Push forward-Both brakes
yomo

Post by yomo »

Griggsy wrote:Hi again, can I ask what buttons you use for the gears Yomo?

I have them on the front buttons on my gamepad but now have assigned both brakes(and throttle) to my analog stick and it feels a bit strange.
I have my setup as this... and yes it is a little weird but it works for me.

On the PS3 Controller
Left Analog Stick - leaning/steering
Right Analog stick - Upwards - Throttle
L1 - Clutch
R1 - Sit - dab (and don't use sticky dab)
L2 - Front brake
R2 - Back Brake

As for gear changing
L3 - which is clicking the left analog stick downwards is my shift up
Square button - (of the 4 shaped buttons, circle, triangle, square, X) - Is my shift down

The way i normally play is...
Left thumb on the left analog stick and 2 fingers on both L1 and L2 buttons

Right hand
Right thumb on right analog stick with pointer and middle fingers on appropriate R1 and R2 buttons.

Here the fun part...
If i am in a sitting position (ie. into a corner) and need to change down, i will take my right thumb and press the downshift button (normally 5 times to make sure I'm in first gear. Basically i do not need to touch the throttle in this circumstance
If i am standing and need to shift down i will use my pointer finger from the dab button and press the downshift which is normally only once. (ie. upshifted an extra time or start to lose revs through whoops and need to downshift to stop wheel dropping into the face of the whoops)

Tips:
I would not assign 2 functions for 1 key. (L1 in your case)
Problems
1. In the air needing to brake tap with out wanting to change down a gear (yes you can change back up but in say an on-off table top section you'll have to be fast
2. To downshift from 5th to 1st gear (After the start stretch on a SX track for example) you will need to press L1 at-least 4 times. This means 4 separate taps which won't allow 100% effective braking. Also can put rider off balance
3. This one is very important -
Going into whoops/difficult jump sections you must be in the perfect gear. If on the run up you want to shift down to get the extra acceleration you will have to press L1. However in your case this will also stab the back brake ruining all advantage you may gain from downshifting.
Also during a whoops section if you lose rev and want to downshift you will have to stab the brakes which will make the rear tyre bounce sideways and end in a cart wheel.

4. Try using the click in method (if possible as i forgot what controller you were using)

5. Just find a setup that you feel comfortable with and just keep with it. Other wise you will just be braking habit and struggle to learn the new controls.

I hope that helped

Just ask for any other infomation
Griggsy

Post by Griggsy »

Thanks again Yomo. Your right I need to get a set-up and stick with it. I'm trying loads of ways at the moment and forgetting what button does what. :shock:

I like your idea of the push down stick to change gear, never thought of that.

One more question though :) what exactly is sticky dab? Is it like sitting or standing?

I won't pester you any more I promise!

Thanks for your time.

Griggsy :)
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

Sticky dab, as far as I can figure, is:

You press a button to sit. You stay sitting until you hit a button again to stand. Then you stay standing until you hit a button again to sit.

Vs "non" sticky dab:

You stand. You hit a button, you sit - but only as long as the button is depressed. As soon as the button is released, you stand. So it's standing by default, sit whenever the button is pressed.

I use non sticky dab, it just seems much more natural.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
Griggsy

Post by Griggsy »

Very Clear. Thanks! :)
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

my old setup before i lost my controller
X - Gas
Square - Front Brake
Start - Rear Brake
Left Analog -left/right - steer foward/back - lean
L1 - clutch
R1 - Sit
L2 - Downshift
R2 - upshift

Stick Dab - On
Manual shift
Antilock front Normal rear
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy »

i use a PS3 controller

throttle:X
front brake: square
back brake: triangle
dab:L2
clutch:L1
shift down:R2
shift up:R1
steering:left stick
back up: start
pause:select
and i also use the "non" sticky dab
kawirider238
Team: Privateer

Post by kawirider238 »

Yomo would your setup still work well on an XBOX360 controller?
Also:
It seems I am having the trouble of when I go into a turn I want to lean forward. When I lean forward with the stick it also makes me turn more which causes me to fall over often. I think 20 stab is perfect for me but I can't make a turn by leaning forward. Does this have to do with my secret setup or what?
yomo

Post by yomo »

Hey,

umm i assume it would but i've never really seen an X-box controller. Just play around but don't keep changing... other wise you will keep forgetting.

The main things is having analog throttle and steering. After that what ever you can do to make it comfortable.

As for the leaning forwards, i never really lean forward in turns just use the dab button. (I always fall as well :oops: ) Its not something that I've practiced

Also ive never really touched the "secret menu". Actually i did change steering strength in an effort to stop the front wheel getting hit sideways on whoops but it didnt really work.

Ask if you need anything else
kawirider238
Team: Privateer

Post by kawirider238 »

so you don't touch the secret menu?
yomo

Post by yomo »

Not at all...

Im not sure about others but for me its just a pain in the ass for no apparent gain. For the people that do... its all in there heads :lol: