Prerelease 2 is out

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Prerelease 2 is out

Post by jlv »

Go to the download page to check it out.

Here's a little demo to try out the new playback feature: x1b_71_5.mxdemo

If you're wondering where your own recordings are kept, they are stored in the local application data folder under "MX Simulator\demos\default.mxdemo". The local app data folder is hidden so you will have to have show hidden files enabled to see it. The full path will be something like "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\MX Simulator\demos\default.mxdemo".

If you have trouble, you can just type this into a command prompt:

Code: Select all

copy "%LOCALAPPDATA%\MX Simulator\demos\default.mxdemo" my_demo_name.mxdemo
Replace "my_demo_name.mxdemo" with whatever name you want to use.

Post by Guest »

Hell Yeah :D
tobz173

Post by tobz173 »

Oops, that was me.

Your onto a good thing man, this game is really addicting.
BoNalls

Post by BoNalls »

Couple things i was thinking about....

The backup feature is great, definetly needed that. However, i think you should implement a way to disallow people from backing up on the start, atleast disallow them to back up any further than the point where you start from.

The start gate needs to be randomly dropped. Right now, you can actually time when its going to drop after you catch on to it. This happened all the time in MVA, you could time the start. Hell, in MCM2 it didnt even work half the time LOL. Start gates are meant to test your reaction time and give everyone a fair chance.

There needs to be some sort of feature where you can slide the bike off a haybail if you happen to get stuck on or right behind one. This has happened to me alot because i really try to narrow down every corner, but then i may hit one and be stuck on it, and have to restart the race to fix it.

Are you working on any sort of track selection screen (with a preview picture), and bike/rider selection screen (with previews)? This makes for a lot cleaner look and will allow gamers to more easily select their preferences. I know there are already plans for user track creation, so i think it would be a great idea to have a very nice looking and organized track selection screen. I'm pretty sure there are plans for bike and rider skin creation aswell, and a similar bike/rider selection screen should be implemented. For the purposes of beta version, it is alright in its current for right now. However, if the objective is to work our way to the full version (or atleast full version 1.0), then things like these need to be tackled early so more important things can be focused on (tweaks to the physics, etc...whatever else).

-Bryan (as i go run another 30laps :lol:)
Pro_MX_Rider
Team: Privateer

Post by Pro_MX_Rider »

what is this ?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I was hoping no one would notice the fixed gate drop...

There was a reason for it being like that, but I don't remember what. It might have been for repeatability when testing. I'll look into it.

You're probably right about the track selection screen, but I hadn't been planning on it. It really wouldn't be too hard though.

As for the bike/rider skinning, you can re-skin them right now by putting a .ppm image file in the "MX Simulator" directory (e.g. crf250.ppm). But to make a preview screen where you can mix and match graphics on different bikes would take long enough that I won't bother with it until the game is actually complete and selling.
rewrew421

Post by rewrew421 »

hey jlv, can we get a template :)
D.Eckels #421 "The O-G"
nickmx

Post by nickmx »

jlv wrote:But to make a preview screen where you can mix and match graphics on different bikes would take long enough that I won't bother with it until the game is actually complete and selling.
well jlv you dont have to worry about selling. its seem to get a crowd of people that like the game, which im one of them.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

[quote="jlv"]As for the bike/rider skinning, you can re-skin them right now by putting a .ppm image file in the "MX Simulator" directory (e.g. crf250.ppm).[quote]

how do we do this
nickmx

Post by nickmx »

Pumaxcs wrote:
jlv wrote:As for the bike/rider skinning, you can re-skin them right now by putting a .ppm image file in the "MX Simulator" directory (e.g. crf250.ppm).
how do we do this
by putting a .ppm image file in the "MX Simulator" directory (e.g. crf250.ppm).
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

nickmx wrote:
Pumaxcs wrote:
jlv wrote:As for the bike/rider skinning, you can re-skin them right now by putting a .ppm image file in the "MX Simulator" directory (e.g. crf250.ppm).
how do we do this
by putting a .ppm image file in the "MX Simulator" directory (e.g. crf250.ppm).
u said what he did... if i didnt understand him y would i understand u?
rewrew421

Post by rewrew421 »

a .ppm file is a type of image format. Just like a .jpg or .bmp or any other format. Ive yet to find a simple way to edit a .ppm image file but google it and theres a few complicated tuturials out there. But placing a file name crf250.ppm in the folder(textured in the spots shown in the template) will texture the bike ingame.

Hope this helps
D.Eckels #421 "The O-G"
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

all ya gotta do is flatten the image before you save it.
Pumaxcs

Post by Pumaxcs »

ill just leave it 2 the ppl who no wat ther doing