People Should be getting paid for their creations!

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
yomo

People Should be getting paid for their creations!

Post by yomo »

I think I just had a good idea.
Firstly permission would have to be granted from JLV but in my opinion all these creations are helping the game.

On PureMXS near the download link could we set up a Donate button to the creator. Obviously the creator needs to put in there pay-pal details and the donation goes straight to them. Maybe a small percentage could go towards PureMXS and to JLV?

IMO here are a few things that should get some money recognition.

Any new models such as wilsons CRF, these helmets.
Awesome tracks/skins
Track objects
etc...

This would also encourage people to upload to PureMXS and if everyone gave $5 here of there we could really get some awesome stuff being created. Obviously this wont become people's income but it would be nice for people to get $15-$20 or more for there efforts (which they would be doing anyway)

Basic Maths:
100 people who regularly visit the forum.
Each people give two donations of $5
Thats $1000 which can go to all the creators here.

Again this should just be a nice little recognition for there efforts rather than the often meaningless "oh wow that sick nice work
Not sure if a limit should be put to give a better spread?

Anyway what do people think?
Judan

Re: People Should be getting paid for their creations!

Post by Judan »

theres just one thing i dont think people will do, which is donate
Scottooo#607

Post by Scottooo#607 »

True Judan!!!!

But if i wasn't a poor bastard who scabs of mum i would donate :D
"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep the score?"
Jack 984
Team: Privateer

Post by Jack 984 »

I like the way you think yomo...
adhkcrfhonda

Post by adhkcrfhonda »

another problem is people might make some shitty creations to try to get money. but then they wouldnt get any :roll: idk
yomo

Post by yomo »

Well if its shit and they dont get any money they can toughen up and deal with it. Life aint fair.
Judan wrote:theres just one thing i dont think people will do, which is donate
Atleast make it an option for people that do want to help out... (and not be stingy bastards :P )
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

I think your general concept is really right on.

It would be nice for people who make really top notch creations to get payed somehow.

I would be willing to pay. Just a little bit, ya know - not a lot - but for some really good stuff I wouldn't mind paying 5 or 10 bucks.

Take this thing with Messiah - if he put together a package of several models, skins, etc, sort of similar to what he's doing with MvA09 (minus anything having to do with the actual program), I'd be happy to pay 20 bucks or so for somethign like that. It'd be awesome. The only thing is you can't really police it - once someone down loads it, they leak it - just look at MvA09 or DJ's models - they get leaked and they are free things.

So the only way to do it that dosent start a bunch of leaking and accusations of piracy and what not is to do it voluntarily. In which case there aren't very many people who will really donate, I don't think.

I sort of wish JLV would come up with a way to package add-on packs. Where he would take really quality stuff, and sell it for like 20 bucks - again I don't know how in the world it would get policed.

Anyway, enough rambling - I do think it'd be nice for those who make quality content to get real recognition, ie cold hard cash.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
yomo

Post by yomo »

I think i may have an idea about people selling there products.

Firstly this would have to be 100% consented by JLV but i do think this would push the community and game to an all new level.

On this site (MX Simulator.com) have a tab called User contributions.

A list of all contributions that people wish to sell would be listed.
Tracks
Models
Skins
Also a good item would be a shading template or a track pack.
Etc.

Each item would have a price listed which would be decided upon by the the creator.

Once someone has selected the item they wish to purchase all they need to do is put in there email address and pay for the item. This email address would need to be the same as the one they purchased MX Simulator with and basically the item would only be useful to the registration key that that email address was given.

This would also help to stop piracy of the game as people would need to have a registration key entered to use items.

The problems would lie in the coding of this and people wanting to much money for their creations. I think people would be happy to pay say 5-10 dollars for something but as DDMX said some skins should be worth $100. People obviously will not spend this much money on a skin.

Again this idea should be a source of recognition and to help people part with the time it takes to make these models and tracks. That said even if it was only $5 and 60 people bought it. That is still a decent amount of money ($300 for those who dont want to do the maths) for something that would have been for free.

And to all those people that don't want to buy anything and will complain that it should all be free and what not or that there parents wont give them money etc etc etc. I do not mean to sound mean at all, but in all seriousness, Thats Life. As messiah said, "nothing comes for nothing" and people will have to learn it sooner or later. If you want it either save up some money and buy it or make it yourself.

I also think that some of the money should go to JLV but he can work that out.

Well please comment if you think this would work.

Also JLV is this even possible regarding the coding and if so would you be happy to support this. I do think this would encourage a lot more quality user made items to be released. (maybe even some of the MVA guys to come over) Also would any copyright stuff have to be organized?

EDIT:
Goardy seems to think people will not pay.

So to prove him wrong.
Post your name if you would be happy to pay anything for models/tracks/skins etc.

I was thinking if people could scrounge 10 dollars together they should be able to get most stuff. therefore
Say it was 10 dollars for a set of models or 2.50 each bike model
$1 for helmet models
$0.50 for a skin
$2 for a track

This way for someone on a budget. They could get
The bike they want - $2.50
The skin - $0.50
Rider Skin - $0.50
Helmet - $1
Helmet skin - $0.50
2 Tracks - $4

That is a total of $9

The problem would be for skinners who probably wouldn't get much money for there stuff as everyone would like different skins.

Anyway who would be happy to scrounge $9?
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Basically dlc is what your saying, like on xbl. It could work and it might not work. One thing I do know is that I might make a little bit more of an effort to finish some of my models if I was getting paid to do it. Right now there is nothing pushing me to finish them.
Turbine951
Team: Privateer

Post by Turbine951 »

If my .02 means anything, I am for this idea. I agree that completing top notch projects takes a lot of time and effort. I think a more efficient way to do something like this would be to get the top creators together and create a pack. Included in the pack are several bike models, bike skins for those models, and then some helmet and gear skins as well. Then you put an overall price on the pack itself, say 10 dollars. Then you get another pack going of tracks with the same principles in mind. Then have those new tracks on an online server, and if you don't have the tracks, you don't play. I would be more willing to donate for something like this rather than paying .50 here or 2.00 there for miscellaneous pieces.
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

Turbine951 wrote:If my .02 means anything, I am for this idea. I agree that completing top notch projects takes a lot of time and effort. I think a more efficient way to do something like this would be to get the top creators together and create a pack. Included in the pack are several bike models, bike skins for those models, and then some helmet and gear skins as well. Then you put an overall price on the pack itself, say 10 dollars. Then you get another pack going of tracks with the same principles in mind. Then have those new tracks on an online server, and if you don't have the tracks, you don't play. I would be more willing to donate for something like this rather than paying .50 here or 2.00 there for miscellaneous pieces.
Practically thinking, how do you keep the pack from getting distributed from person to person without them paying for it?
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
yomo

Post by yomo »

@ turbine

Yeah I'm sure people would make a discounted pack which would supplement the individual items for people on a real budget.

@ Garasaki
yomo195 wrote: Once someone has selected the item they wish to purchase all they need to do is put in there email address and pay for the item. This email address would need to be the same as the one they purchased MX Simulator with and basically the item would only be useful to the registration key that that email address was given.
JLV would have to code it so that that pack only works for the persons registration code. Again this would greatly reduce piracy of user creation and of the game.

I do hope this would be relatively easy for JLV to implement and not have re-write every bit of code that looks for files.

It might be something that once the file is uploaded by the creator the .saf has an empty line for the registration code. This is filled before it is sent off.
BTW if i sound like a total idiot its because i have no knowledge of coding at all.
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

You guys just love complex solutions to simple problems don't you? I like Rube Goldberg too, but I don't think it's a very good way to run a game. Donate button at MXS is the best possible solution. We don't needs JLV's permission, you wouldn't be selling anything of his.
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

Phathry25 wrote:Donate button at MXS is the best possible solution. .
Donate = no one pays
yomo

Post by yomo »

Yeah im just afraid that no one would pay.

Wake style (You made PureMXS right?) anyway how many donations have you received? I doubt not many if any. Its just a fact tbh.

Also your right, we might not need JLV's permission, more just his help to get it working.