todo list - the evolution of mx simulator

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
WhMx179
Team: Privateer

Re: todo list - the evolution of mx simulator

Post by WhMx179 »

yeah i was thinking of that, seperating the rider from the bike could be really really hard. idk, but however much time jlv needs for not just this (if its ever gonna happen) or anything else, give it to him. i have so much respect for him. one guy. can create a game like this? impressive
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The rider already is a separate body. Disconnecting it would be one line of code. The hard part is getting the rider's body back to the bike in a believable way.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

Well I would say just have him run through objects but that means he couldn't get run over.Anyway possible he can run through only certain objects? I would guess not, just spitballin' here.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
WhMx179

Post by WhMx179 »

good idea puma, do you think maybe there could be a reset button? but the thing is what about tracks without timing gates or whatever where would you spawn? lol
staydown
Team: Building Tracks Only

Post by staydown »

just have a several second reset que from when the bail button was pressed
Sonnette
Team: Mspirit

Post by Sonnette »

Good day Gents,

At least I must Say it is really interesting how a thread with a total different topic is getting Hijacked with off topic stuff that doesn´t even belong really to the matter of that topic. Just my two cents but this is disrespectfull to the Author of the thread.

To stay on Topic here i would really appreciate the todo list at least that way Gio is absolute right that there are not hundreds of whishes flowing down the line since we can look closer on what is in Progress and what is missing in the game. Would generate at least a better workflow for JLV as well since couple of eyes see more then one pair and that way the double, triple and overlooked requests are done.

Kind Regards
Sonnette
THE MISSING POWER OF AN ENGINE IS BALANCED BY THE SICKNESS OF THE RIDER
IF YOU DON´T NEED TO BRAKE BEFORE A CORNER YOU HAD BEEN GAY ON THE STRAIGHT BEFORE
Ashes
Team: Privateer #65

Post by Ashes »

Sorry Sonnette - but I gotta put in my 2 cents...

-----------------------------
-- Start Official Hijack --
-----------------------------

I think the the rider seperation should / could:
1. Happen when the screen blacks out (assumes that's when he hit's his head?). The reason I say that, is there is obv already an event taking place in code for JLV's 1 liner!
2. I think that when the bike & rider come to rest, the rider would just spawn at the location of the bike & pick it up as is now. Running over to the bike etc could come later. The main thing is detatching. Running over to the bike, injuries ect could take a bunch of time to code, and frankly - there are other much cooler things the could be done before that level of detail is reached.

----------------------------
-- End Official Hijack --
----------------------------
stocksy129

Post by stocksy129 »

when you hit your head on say a tuff block, you don't get "knocked out" well that's what's happend to me, JLV can you confirm that? and i agree with the above post
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

JLV i think you should post your ideas for the future in hear so you can get some feedback about it all.

I think the game is progressing along nice, the things i would like to get put into MXsim are thing that will take time but heres one...
Tire pressure and tire tread chioces, So we can set it up to each track because there are 4 differant main types of surfaces we can ride on, Dirt(old tilemap),Dirt(new tilemap), Sand and Mud and even from there they all have minor tilemap changes, Because the best setup could really influence who wins.
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
yomo

Post by yomo »

Gee this didnt turn into a new game surgestions thread at all.... :roll:
giopanda

Post by giopanda »

yomo wrote:Gee this didnt turn into a new game surgestions thread at all.... :roll:
this is what i was talking about when i said that the thread was already out of control after 3 posts..
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

I could be wrong, but a to do list might make things worse. First off if JLV says here are the things I am working on, it will put a ton more of pressure on him to do those things, and many people on these forums will want blood if they do not come quick enough. I want to know whats coming as much as the next guy, but I know that the less we know, the less pressure on JLV, and the more "fun" he will have improving the game for us. A list will just add fuel to the, When is this being realeased!" fire. I am sure it would be ok for some people to know whats coming, but not the whole community. For example, I think it would be fine that Gio knows whats coming up, but might create problems if people like "he who shall not be named" know everything coming up.

just my 2 cents...about the actual topic.

(Basically I don't need to checkup or know what JLV is up to, I know he is making this game better)

+I like surprises! :D
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

I agree pretty much 100% with Sween. Reading the what's new section in new snapshot topics is something I enjoy doing, not knowing what's going to be there and the surprise of it is something I like. Plus all of the other reasons you stated.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
ReNNy

Post by ReNNy »

Everyone has some valid points for and against ragdoll's.. good discussion. JLV has read the Thread, so i guess giopanda = mission well done dude.

I dont know how i am in terms of understanding the 'real' difficulties of programming physics. I don't program stuff. lol. But my idea of determining when a ragdoll dismount of the rider occurs would be, for example.. excessive vertical forces on suspension, there must already be numbers in there somewhere as the forks must have a limit to prevent the wheels from clipping through the front fender.

So when force would otherwise exceed the vertical compressed limit of the forks. BAM rider gets owned! Maybe look at average G forces, riders sustain before the breaking point of a bottomed out scenario, resulting in dismount.

Horizontal force limits could be applied to the rider body movements on the horizontal axis. Of coarse we would need horizontal body movements first, those being left and right body movments. An example of excessive horizontal forces would be when the ass end starts swapping.

Other triggers of dismounts, could be the already black screen after a blow to the head and also cases of extreme body contact, such as a rider being hit by another rider or bike.

My idea for recovering after a crash.

I understand it is a simulation, but i dont believe we need to 'Simulate' walking back to our bikes, thats really a bit extreme. All sim games have simulated error, for example, a car racing sim has vehicle damage, loss of tires, etc. Flight sims have Explosions, ejections, engine failures, etc etc. Whats an exciting part of watching motorcross? CRASHES! My opinion, whether it counts or not, we need them. I could set 15 Ai riders on a few laps of a brutal track and just sit back and watch them get owned over over, laughing my head off! Take outs online, or even just plain old user mistakes would be pure awesome.

I would say the best way to deal with recovery after crashing would be simply spawn the rider back onto their upright bike where it came to rest after crashing. This would be less obvious than a complete spawn of the bike and rider and would save spawning into the line of another player who may be unaware of the crash.

A situation might be, player #1 crashes and his bike lay in the middle of the track ahead 20 meters, player #2 knows hes crashed there and is already adjusting to ride around him, player #1 bike uprights with him spawned on it. Player #2 is uninterrupted. (unless player 2# is noob and plows into player #1 regardless)

Penalties for crashing could be, (just an idea!) headshot crashes, players could lay KO'd on ground for 10 seconds before spawning. Regular crashes, players could spawn after body comes to a stop after rolling.

I do believe that adding a ragdoll system would be quite a bit of work whichever way its done. probably warranting a new version of mxsim. Maybe i Don't know what im talking about.I think Everyone will love it, even those who have doubts. Its why most games have ragdoll physics.

Some ragdolls doing their thing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oozLwv1_ ... re=related
WhMx179

Post by WhMx179 »

wow renny you really said it all there, verry intelligent replay imo
im with you if we had ragdoll crashes that would make this game like 6million times better