2010-09-03 snapshot

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Re: 2010-09-03 snapshot

Post by Pumaxcs »

Figure of speech combined with the wrong word. By model he meant engine but they don't exist, thats why he said "it gives the illusion".
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

TimFerry15 wrote:
jlv wrote:Changes:
  • Added new mipmap mode. Put "[mip_max_alpha]" in the png comment and the mipmaps will use the max alpha value instead of the average when downsampling.
This is very noticeable to me. Unless I'm noticing something different, textures (on objects' and tracks') that use a lot of alpha look more defined.
Doubt it, as you have to put in that statement into the images comment for it to work. So unless people had the power of foresight and put that statement in before this snapshot, I believe you are just seeing things
jlv wrote:
DJ wrote:With the new billboard statue lod thing though. I can make the model do the rotating thing, but how do you make the 3D model go to a flat plane? Does this work well for trees that have the leaves and trunk in a separate model? Cheers
You need to make the last LOD be a plane. I'll post an example tree in a bit.
I did try that. It just rendered the bark texture and leave texture to the planes.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

jlv wrote:
dearnhardtfan7 wrote:Nice snapshot JLV. The only problem is that weird clanging noise on the 250s. No matter what I do I can't get it to go away. It almost sounds like there is a washer floating around inside the exhaust. Honestly I can't even ride the 250s now because its really giving me a headache. Going up on the reverb makes it better but it seems like it maxes out at 1.0 I think. After that when I make a change it actually cuts the sound off. If I restart the game the sound is back on but no matter how high I go with it, it doesn't change. Any suggestions?
It's not happening to me. The low pass filter is slightly different though. I'll see if I can make it match the old one exactly.
I've updated the filter. Should be almost exactly like the old one. Let me know if this fixed it.
http://mxsimulator.com/snapshots/mx-2010-09-04.exe
http://mxsimulator.com/snapshots/mxbin-2010-09-04
DJ wrote:
jlv wrote:
DJ wrote:With the new billboard statue lod thing though. I can make the model do the rotating thing, but how do you make the 3D model go to a flat plane? Does this work well for trees that have the leaves and trunk in a separate model? Cheers
You need to make the last LOD be a plane. I'll post an example tree in a bit.
I did try that. It just rendered the bark texture and leave texture to the planes.
All it does is change the rotation. You need to have the billboards in the texture.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Hmmm. Maybe I can fit it into the leaves texture
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

Wow...

Started messing with the sounds a bit.

Try using the default 2stroke setting for the 4 strokes.... it actually sounds decent.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

/pipe4 1.5 0.5 -0.6

Closest I could find to the original four-stroke sound. Incase the new sound isn't your thing.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

Me and puma were testing 2 stroke sounds.

3.0 0.3 0.75 sounds fricken sick for the 125's
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

OK, here is a tree thingo I did. Its not even worth the hassle to render the billboard in blender or whatever. You are better off drawing a tree in photoshop.

jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

You can definitely do better than that. In this screenshot, the three trees in front are real geometry and the rest are billboards.
The main problem is the lod popping is still very visible. I'll post the blend file for this once I clean it up a little. The correct material settings to render the normals are a little hard to find.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
jbob23
Team: Privateer

Post by jbob23 »

awesome update. messing and trading with sounds is awesome!

one suggestion for it maybe..... Make it so where when online the sound i have for my 250f doesnt automatically make everyone else's use my setting. maybe its already like this. i just did an online race with 1 other guy and his sounded modded exactly like mine. it'd be cool if everyone's setting that they are using is noticable and different or whatever.

maybe im way off. its way past my bedtime lol.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

jlv wrote:You can definitely do better than that. In this screenshot, the three trees in front are real geometry and the rest are billboards.
http://mxsimulator.com/junk/treelods.jpg
The main problem is the lod popping is still very visible. I'll post the blend file for this once I clean it up a little. The correct material settings to render the normals are a little hard to find.
Did you render the billboard? I had so much trouble getting the alpha to work, but I got there eventually.

But anyways, really love this feature. With the track I'm working on, I get about 50,000 triangles on MGD of 80. At 20, its cut down to 15,000.
JB323
Team: Privateer Life

Post by JB323 »

been playing around and i came up with pipe4 .3 .5 .9
has that loud cannister echo/high pitch on high rpms. I think this would be awesome to figure out a way to have people transmit there sound setup clientside to the server so other people could hear the variety having a few different bike sounds would definitely change the feel of multiplayer.

http://www.grindtv.com/moto/video/fiole ... aap/#41312

side note

also picked up a new tv and was in the config file and the xres/yres was at 640x480 even tho ingame its not and it is at my current resolution. I changed it manually and it did kinda look better so maybe something not registering, just something to look at maybe.

Privateer Life # 323 Support from Motosport | Race Tech | 180 Decals

http://instagram.com/jbolen323/
twentythreemx

Post by twentythreemx »

How can you set it so that it keeps the sound change after a restart of the program? tried adding to the shortcut but that doesnt seem to work unless im doing it wrong..
Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

I'd like to know as well how you can make the sound change stick after restarting the game.

Here's what I came up after a bit of playing around. I'm really liking the 125 settings but not too sure on the 4-stroke sound.

pipe2 2.25 0.27 0.81

pipe4 2.99 0.18 -0.48

Great update jlv, the smoothing out of power curves was much needed. :D
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
Duckstream

Post by Duckstream »

yeh it would be nice to be able to leave the sounds there, i tryed what nybrok did and changed it to :1.99 0.5 -0.5 and it sounds good to me now, thats what i would use

on two stroke, the one shack posted is sick but i hate two strokes anyways tho :/