Say I ran a track contest....

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Say I ran a track contest....

Post by jlv »

If you were one of the winners, what license would you be willing to release your track under? Would the Creative Commons Attribution License be good?

How would you want the prize money structured?

For example, Say the total purse was $100.

Would you want a the payout heavily biased towards the winner like this:
1st $80
2nd $10
3rd $5
4th $5

Or would it be better to have more payback to the runners up like this:
1st $40
2nd $30
3rd $20
4th $10
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jones221
Team: Trump

Re: Say I ran a track contest....

Post by Jones221 »

i like the second idea. The runner ups worked as hard as the winner.
only one to win something real from the game!
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Yep, I would doubt that 1st place would have beaten 2nd by enough to make it be worth 8 times as much. And it will make it more competitive if people knew that they might have a chance at winning 3rd or 4th, which still has some value. So the second choice for me

As for the license, well, the site is taking a really long time to load, but I'm not too concerned about how you want to go about that, I'll agree to it.

EDIT: OK, that license site loaded. Seems fair
kwic73

Post by kwic73 »

First one so that people will create exceedly great track so they can get decent amount of money not just 5 bucks. If we used the seconed one they will give up easier because they know they will still get 20 or 30 bucks if they dont win
Voutare
Team: Privateer

Post by Voutare »

Second because I know I can't win.
gordy

Post by gordy »

what if you were to distribute the money according to the amount of votes gotten(im assuming this would be a community decided contest)?
so the amount you win would be (amount of votes received/total amount of votes)x100
instupitious.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

I thought those agreements were just understood? Theres an actual law writen there?
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Nah, I dislike that idea. Messiah will probably enter this, and pretty much everyone will vote for him, leaving the next few people with like 3 bucks or what not.
kwic73

Post by kwic73 »

yeah so guess everybody's just going to have to step up there game
yomo

Post by yomo »

I would go with option 2

As for the conditions, I'm not exactly an A class lawyer but yeah they seem pretty fair... In the unlikly event that I win i would release on those terms

Would you use the track as part of the full game? or Just as an edition on the forums? Im sure anyone would be honoured to have there track in the game :D

Also what measures will you take to be sure all work is in no way copied form another person with out consent? Such as track objects etc...

What sort of restrictions will you put in place?
Motocross, Supercross etc..
Does it have to run on a certain computer? eg. Someone might make a really really good track with amazing surroundings but it might only run on top end computers
How long will it run for?
Will only the top 4 tracks "make it" or will the all the ones that you see fit?
Payment - Im assuming Paypal?
Replica's allowed/

Anyway I really like the idea...

If at least a general idea could be released some time this week (mainly if people can do Supecross tracks) I will defiantly have a go... I have 3 weeks off school starting next week so yeah now is a perfect time :D

PS... anyone see the message down the bottom of the contract? "This is a human-readable summary of the Legal Code"
Thought that was kinda funny
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

I'd say the second distribution as well.

Believe me, I know, I've placed 14th out of 15 in a track contest and god damn it I worked as hard if not harder then the 13 people who scored higher then I did.

Honestly the person who wins isn't going to care if you give him 40 cents or 40 dollars, he'll be happy knowing he won. If your talking prize money any less then the cost of a new silencer for your bike, the actual number really dosent matter.

As for the conditions, I personally don't care, I would agree to pretty much anything.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
Jack 984

Post by Jack 984 »

Option 2, this is sickkk.
DJD

Post by DJD »

I personally like option one....

All or Nothin baby! Thats how i roll.....

Im guessing this is what the extra revenue is for......hmmm.

Thought it would be something for further developing the game.....i have to say im slightly disapointed.....i can already pick the winner.... :roll:
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

I'm up for two. If there is money on the line, everyone is going to spend a ridiculous amount of time on their tracks, and to come out with 2 dollars isn't worth it. But, saying that, I like this idea.

As for track types, I think we should not allow replicas. All replicas do is limit the creativity and originality of who is making it, so you are only being graded on how accurate it is.

I say only Nationals, no replicas. And it should be voted on with different catagories, like how Pure does it. Disp, textures, ambiance, fun, replayability, realism.

And I'd like to expand on realism a little bit. Not having anything to do with this contest, but for everyone here:

When you ride in real life, you more than likely are not as fast as a pro, so you feel like you really need to go fast to make a lot of jumps, etc. right? Well, in case you haven't noticed, nearly everyone that makes tracks in this game are fast. (DJ, DJ Diehl, Gordy, me, JLV, Wilson is slow, Mittocs, BR21), and you apply the same principles to riding it. Pin it to make jumps, and you make your jumps fit the amount of speed it takes to make them. Don't. We are hauling ass, so you should make the jumps smaller sized so the slower players can ride, and then it allows the fast guys to have to use creativity to make their lines work. (Scrubs, whips, throttle control, etc.)
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

yomo wrote:Would you use the track as part of the full game? or Just as an edition on the forums? Im sure anyone would be honoured to have there track in the game :D
I intend to run a 4 race tournament with the winning tracks after the track competition.
Also what measures will you take to be sure all work is in no way copied form another person with out consent? Such as track objects etc...
That's a tough one. All I can do is disqualify them if anyone reports it.
What sort of restrictions will you put in place?
Motocross, Supercross etc..
Motocross.
Does it have to run on a certain computer? eg. Someone might make a really really good track with amazing surroundings but it might only run on top end computers
I'm not sure. I will limit the download size of the track to something around 20 megs. For FPS problems, I could either restrict the amount a geometry allowed, or just let people with slow computers give the slow tracks bad grades.
How long will it run for?
Once I've figured out what the rules should be, I'd say a month then one week for judging.
Will only the top 4 tracks "make it" or will the all the ones that you see fit?
I'll accept all tracks that basically work and aren't copyright violations.
Payment - Im assuming Paypal?
That's correct.
Replica's allowed/
I haven't made up my mind about that yet.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.