Say I ran a track contest....

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
DW434

Re: Say I ran a track contest....

Post by DW434 »

wait so is this what the advertisement is for if everyone else already knew this i feel really stupid
"90% of the game is half mental"-Yogi Berra

MXS Online Racing #434
The Whole Mxs Community wrote:Take off the kidney belt shading
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

I'm just expecting it to lag for me! my computer pretty slow, but i've just put up with lag for so long I can kinda ride through it.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hells yeh but i think option 2 is more fair because some people have school or jobs or whatever you know so its 10x more fair.
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
Wilson
Team: Privateer

Post by Wilson »

I like the second choice better as far as the prize money goes. Two months is enough time to be able to make a decent national. What about teams, will two people be able to make a track together and if so how would you split the winnings? I think it should be limited to only 2 people in 1 group, this worked well for the contest rainbow put on as it created the best tracks possible. What about a finish date/deadline?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

If a team wants to enter they would have to choose a representative to enter and handle dividing the winnings themselves. Limiting the team size sounds confusing. What if a third person made some minor contribution? It would seem stupid to disqualify them for that. My main concern would be that everyone agrees to the license.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

JLV,

Is this 4 race tournament you mentioned going to be something that gets placed directly into the full version of the game? To me, it sounds like you are trying to set up a 4 race "series", like in the MVA Untame's "X-Cross Tournament". That seems to be the only logical reason you would need the license agreement, since you can set up races on here on whatever track you want. Im not meaning to be nosey, but is this kinda what you are doing here? I do think option 2 is the way to go. Would you allow the track makers to use ddmx's object pack and DJ's countless trees? Sounds like it will be a fun contest.

wheels
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

A little more description of how you plan to use the tracks would be helpful.

I don't see too many people complaining about the agreement just for the fact they usually release their stuff for full use for free and you are offering a prize.

As far as time, atleast 2 months is necessary, especially if you want people to create custom models and such as well as a great track.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Yeah, my biggest thing is are these tracks going to become stock tracks with the game? If they are then I would most likely enter the contest. If they aren't then I'll just finish the track whenever I want and not really worry about the money. If you break it down I'd spend about 30 hours on the track and that's $1.33/hr if I win. Not saying it's not worth it, just not worth it to me.
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

I think if the track became a part of the game, a stock track, then it would look severely out of place. All JLV's tracks have the same level of detail, same textures, same styles, corners, jumps. It's JLV's style. To throw in another creators track, it would stick out like a sore thumb. I dunno. I'd be all for it being put in game though.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

On the use of object packs, only if they can be distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License or something similar. The license is required for me to distribute the tracks. With no license copyright law would prevent me from distributing the files.

Just because someone is distributing something for free doesn't mean they have disclaimed their copyright on it. They still have the exclusive right to publish the work. If you wanted to distribute it yourself you would still need the author's permission.

Usually for a contest like this, the fine print will tell you that by entering you have assigned the copyright to the contest organizer. It seems outrageous to me that you would lose the rights to your own work just for entering a contest. So I'd like to let the entrant keep their rights but grant permission to distribute with attribution (i.e. a credit).

As for putting the tracks in the stock game, the Creative Commons Attribution License would let me do that, but unless the track is pretty easy the AI riders won't be able to do a decent lap and will prevent me from including it. If your only interest is getting a track in the stock game, wait for the supermoto competition. The main purpose for these tracks will be for the tournament that will follow.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

If that is the case then I would see no reason anyone would have a problem with it. Of course I can't speak for everyone.

I think the community judging might get a bit messy, biased, etc., but I'm sure you could find a nice panel of 6 or 7 judges who can be non-biased and also who aren't entering.

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.
LuizH

Post by LuizH »

i do agree about judges because just by checking puremxs you can see tha some people exagerate a bit on their judge :lol:
but i think it would be hard to found those so let people vote would be easyer
FORMER SUPERCROSS LEGEND
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

What about replicas?
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

I say no. Because it limits how well the track can be rated. No creativity or ingenuity, which should be a part of the grading.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Also, what about brand logos in track objects? I'm thinking you might not want to distribute if the tracks have unauthorised usage of brand logos, as that could cause problems for you? If that is the case, then replicas might be out of the question, if we want them accurate in terms of objects