New dynos?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Justin Bubba Wood
Team: MMoto Suzuki

New dynos?

Post by Justin Bubba Wood »

I was just wondering if jlv was going to do new dynos? Like last year we have no 14 bikes. Now 15 are coming out be great to have them dynos.
Scotty226
Team: Crisp Graphics

Re: New dynos?

Post by Scotty226 »

Whats the point of having 'new' dyno's if everyone is going to use the same few anyway?
0 | 1 | 0 | 4
2014 Loretta Lynns 250 Pro Sport 2nd
damon99
Team: MXSG

Post by damon99 »

Scotty226 wrote:Whats the point of having 'new' dyno's if everyone is going to use the same few anyway?
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

I remember reading somewhere that JLV generally likes to update them every two years. It could have been speculation, it could have been a JLV quote, or it could have been something I made up in my head.

I think everyone just rides the same bikes because they're trying to be competitive in races, which is funny because I have been able to race pretty well on the entire spectrum of bikes over the past few years. :lol:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

I just wish the skins showed up on all the dynos instead of having to choose and stick to one particular dyno all season. Think of it as engine tuning.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

That would be pretty cool, but I'd want to have some sort organization in the bike setup menu first. Would be pretty great for team packs, though, so JAG doesn't have to release new stuff every time someone wants to ride a different dyno.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
barrington314

Post by barrington314 »

KTM57 wrote:so JAG doesn't have to release new stuff every time someone wants to ride a different dyno.
Exactly.
Maybe set it up so that you just name the JMs as "450forkupper.jm" ,for example, and that would be good for any 450 dyno. Or if you want it to be a specific dyno then you follow the current naming. But I also agree better organization would be needed. Its already needed.
isacult
Team: BakerMX.com

Post by isacult »

barrington314 wrote:
KTM57 wrote:so JAG doesn't have to release new stuff every time someone wants to ride a different dyno.
Exactly.
Maybe set it up so that you just name the JMs as "450forkupper.jm" ,for example, and that would be good for any 450 dyno. Or if you want it to be a specific dyno then you follow the current naming. But I also agree better organization would be needed. Its already needed.
I like this idea! That'd be super easy to setup for several riders who use different dynos or something.
Justin Baker | BakerMX.com #51
AWood wrote:WOOO BAKER
AWood wrote:Your excuses are about as shitty as mike Alessi on pulp MX show
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

KTM57 wrote:I think everyone just rides the same bikes because they're trying to be competitive in races, which is funny because I have been able to race pretty well on the entire spectrum of bikes over the past few years. :lol:
Remember when EVERYONE rode the Honda 250's? Tbh I'm really surprised more people don't use the KTM dynos (especially the KTM, 6 gears).

[nostalgia]
I always use this example (and it's one of the only wins I have so I have to flaunt it as much as possible ;)) I used the 2008 RMZ to win a moto and the overall at Budds in 2012 (I thought it felt smoother for that track), hell Mikey won that title on the 2009 RMZ. The only time I remember feeling like I was at a disadvantage on the RMZ was at Red Bud where I could not do the leap on it, but could on the Yamaha (I don't think most were doing it in the race anyway, but that first moto was the one I was leading until the straight before the finish when I went off track and Smith got by :( (btw, Smith WAS on a RMZ that moto!)).
[/nostalgia]

The only place where you can definitely tell a difference is some of the big rhythms in SX where it is noticeably easier to do them on certain bikes over others, outdoors I don't think matters too much tbh. What I'm really waiting for is a 300 and 500 two stroke to make an appearance in game, that would be awesome (also the ability to stop on them, I still SWEAR I stop easier/faster on the 450s than I do on a 250 2 stroke).
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Yeah, I remember the Honda 250 era, and I bought into that one, as well. I have raced the 2009 yz250f, which is the bike that pretty much everyone obsesses over, and I have never felt like it was any better or worse than the 2013 KX. I find that 450s are all pretty similar, except for the KTM, which has too much for me to handle on rough tracks. :lol: There is definitely a substantial difference in the way the different dynos feel, and I don't doubt that some are better than others, but I think most people ride certain dynos because of the people who win on them and placebo effects.

I remember before we had 450s or 2010 dynos, everyone used to say that the 2008 bikes were the fastest, then JLV said that he had buffed the 2009s by something like 5 hp from the charts he had found and that they were actually faster because of that. Lately, I've been riding the RMZ450 instead of my usual KX, and it does feel snappier, but it's not as godly in comparison as people seemed to think during SX this year.

I just wish the 250 two strokes didn't handle so funky. I feel like something is off as far as the balance between the rider mass and bike mass that throws stuff like the gas gyro off; you can't even pull a boner air just with the gas on a 250 two stroke unless you're sitting down in the air. I might ride them if the handling issues could be fixed by placing the rider mass somewhere between the masses of the 250Fs and 450s, (I think 250s are 150lbs and 450s are 175 or 180lbs, so 160 might work well) but as of now, I just can't ride a big bore two stroke anywhere near as well as a 250F. I would love to try out a 300 or 500, though. A KTM 200 two stroke would be awesome, too. :D
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

When I have new dynos from the same source I put them right in. The problem is there isn't a reliable source for dyno charts. I originally used Transworld's numbers, then they stopped publishing them. Then I switched to Moto-USA, but they switched to a dyno that read lower in 2013 and seem to have skipped the 450's entirely for 2014.

Ideally I'd have everything done on the same dyno at the same temperature/humidity/pressure.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
barrington314

Post by barrington314 »

JLV, what do you think about my posts in this thread? Is that something you'd be interested in trying out or not so much into that?
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Running one brand's model on another's dyno is stupid IMO. I'd be more interested in stopping it than facilitating it. I guess one option would be to have a "factory" version of each bike that uses the max torque value of all bikes at each point on the curve.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
dylan22

Post by dylan22 »

Yeah do that! Make the factory bikes sound beefy as.
Grip'n'Rip
Team: AirTech Decals

Post by Grip'n'Rip »

damon99 wrote:
Scotty226 wrote:Whats the point of having 'new' dyno's if everyone is going to use the same few anyway?
Join my Team speak which is full of happy players brandontippins.servequake.com
Making free HD Renders for free! Message me if you need one!
Subscribe to my channel! http://youtube.com/thehertfullgamer