What is necessary?

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Jlillywhite23
Team: 42 Motorsports

What is necessary?

Post by Jlillywhite23 »

Hello. I am getting a laptop. I want to be able to run sim at good graphics(Model Detail at 8 or 9. Ground Texture at 70 and 7. I don't care about shaders or roost. Resolution set at 32x32 or 64x64.) I don't want to run rF ot EmF races. I just want something to mess around on. I just want something I can hop into a 19800,19802, or 19803 server with very little lag.

What is necessary in a laptop to do this. I AM
NOT GOING TO GET A DESKTOP OR A $600 laptop. I am just looking for what I need in a laptop. What processer? What graphics(not going to buy a graphics card). What size memory and ram?

I know this is possible. On my 8 year old Toshiba M35X-S149 with the stock Intel (R) Extreme graphics without updating the drivers. It was slow on videos, but I could still run a little less than I wanted.

Please help
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Re: What is necessary?

Post by SMR 510RR »

You need another thread.
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

He didnt like the answers in the other thread. Trying for better ones here.
Jlillywhite23

Post by Jlillywhite23 »

barrington314 wrote:He didnt like the answers in the other thread. Trying for better ones here.
No. I'm getting new info on what I need and instead of reying to my own thread I created a new one. A thread that had all the info.
Jlillywhite23

Post by Jlillywhite23 »

The laptop I'm looking at buying has the following:

Intel Dual Core Celeron Processor N2820 with Intel Burst up to 2.39GHz
4GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive
Windows 8.1
Intel HD Graphics
$400
SMR 510RR

Post by SMR 510RR »

Instead of starting a new thread you could have just asked "well since that computer is not going to do what I need what do you recommend". That would have been better than clogging the forums with 2 threads in one day.

What is your budget or are you just trying to get something as cheap as possible? We have jumped up $150 so far.

What I would look for in a laptop:
17" screen
I5 CPU
8gb ram
dedicated graphics (not intel HD) Nvidia x50m+ (aka 650m or 750m etc) w/ 2gb graphics memory

Now is that necessary? I don't know exactly. Most of us have not run the game on 20 different computers to see how it runs on each. The majority of people here have desktops, they are cheaper for the same performance level as a laptop. The people who know enough about computers to give you advice have built their own computer for a specific purpose by working backwards from a budget.

I would advise you to figure out what the real definite maximum price you can afford is and then find the best computer in that price range. Spending more up front may not get your any better performance (if you aren't lagging you are getting all that you need) but it will future proof you a bit. I personally really like MSI laptops but gaming models start around $800 so that may be out of your budget.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

A Celeron isn't a strong CPU, much less the mobile version of it. Add on that it is also the graphics processor (Intel HD isn't a "graphics card" as so many people think, its taking the CPU and telling it to also complete the GPU work while also doing the CPU work) with low RAM and guessing its also at a low clock speed. Bonus graph, the specific Celeron you've chosen is the lowest on the totem pole out of all the Intel integrated graphics (scroll down for the 720p benchmarks and you'll see the highest is 45FPS, guarantee that wasn't a stable number but a spiked number and most games have a added note saying if the game was playable or not)

If you were looking for reasons we are telling you to spend more, there they are. As we've said before, you'll be disappointed with that laptop.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
FlyinHigh

Post by FlyinHigh »

Jlillywhite23 wrote:I AM NOT GOING TO GET A DESKTOP OR A $600 laptop
But see thats the problem, that's what is necessary lol.
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

FlyinHigh wrote:
Jlillywhite23 wrote:I AM NOT GOING TO GET A DESKTOP OR A $600 laptop
But see thats the problem, that's what is necessary lol.
Hi
DBRider251
Team: Elevated Motorsports

Post by DBRider251 »

Jlillywhite23 wrote:I AM NOT GOING TO GET A DESKTOP OR A $600 laptop.
Well, that's definitely a problem, as MXS is going to be pretty choppy on a sub $600 laptop, but you can get good performance out of a $600 desktop. IMO if you're looking for mobility, is to buy a cheap laptop and use that for whatever you need the laptop for, then buy and build your own desktop. If you're wanting to game on your laptop, its not going to be very mobile anyway. It's usually going to sit in the same place and need to be plugged in to get max performance. I would get THIS LAPTOP, then build THIS DESKTOP. No, it doesn't stay cheap, but you get what you pay for. You might be able to go with THIS and keep decent framerates and be cheap, but I'm not sure. You could add a good GPU if you needed. Puma is really good with computers and could tell you though, I'm just going by stuff I've learned from Puma and August (KTM57).

Jlillywhite23 wrote:Please help
I tried, but doubt you'll like my response. Good laptops are expensive, and desktops are best.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:it's all the liberals fault
Jlillywhite23

Post by Jlillywhite23 »

Thank you all for your responses, but I'm going to try the laptop out. If my 8 yea old toshiba can run simulator on decent graphics in a server with only 5-10 people, i think I'm good. I'll just buy a graphics card and I'll be fine. Thanks to ALL
Jlillywhite23

Post by Jlillywhite23 »

Pumaxcs wrote:A Celeron isn't a strong CPU, much less the mobile version of it. Add on that it is also the graphics processor (Intel HD isn't a "graphics card" as so many people think, its taking the CPU and telling it to also complete the GPU work while also doing the CPU work) with low RAM and guessing its also at a low clock speed. Bonus graph, the specific Celeron you've chosen is the lowest on the totem pole out of all the Intel integrated graphics (scroll down for the 720p benchmarks and you'll see the highest is 45FPS, guarantee that wasn't a stable number but a spiked number and most games have a added note saying if the game was playable or not)

If you were looking for reasons we are telling you to spend more, there they are. As we've said before, you'll be disappointed with that laptop.
Could I just buy the laptop I'm looking at and just put in a $100-$200 graphics card?
SMR 510RR

Post by SMR 510RR »

You cant just add a graphics card to a laptop like you can with a desktop. That is why desktops are the prefered platform.
Jlillywhite23

Post by Jlillywhite23 »

SMR 510RR wrote:You cant just add a graphics card to a laptop like you can with a desktop. That is why desktops are the prefered platform.
Oh. You can't put a graphics card in a laptop?
jbrandmx85

Post by jbrandmx85 »

Jlillywhite23 wrote:
SMR 510RR wrote:You cant just add a graphics card to a laptop like you can with a desktop. That is why desktops are the prefered platform.
Oh. You can't put a graphics card in a laptop?
Trust me, I used a laptop for a long time in MXS. I did everything I could to better performance. Stay away from them if your using it for mxs. Get a desktop. Laptops have integrated graphics. So even if you buy an expensive laptop eventually its gonna be crap.