MXS Bike Setup Application (v3.1 01-Aug-2010)

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
Servatis

Re: MXS Bike Setup Application

Post by Servatis »

Version 2.0 is here! Please read below, some important changes have been made.

Changes:

- Much more intuitive way of loading and deleting setups.
- The new suspension settings.
- A main menu and a help menu.(help not finished yet, due to the ammount of time it takes to make, comming soon!)
- Shorter default width of the columns so more settings can be displayed on the overview.
- Setups folder and MXS personal folder can now be accessed through the application.
- All setups can be manually loaded again through the main menu, if a setup is pasted into the setups folder it can be loaded into the application without having to restart it.
- The names of the settings are now similar to the ones displayed in MX Simulator instead of the ones in the config file.
- And last but not least, an AWESOME new little icon in the top left corner! (which made the application take up twice as much space :P) ©Servatis

The new suspension settings:
Old xml files can still be used in this version. The new suspension settings will just show blank. On the “setup editor” tab these setups can be opened and given a value for the new settings just like you normally would edit a setup.
The old setups can also still be loaded into the game, but the default value of 50 will be given to the not yet defined settings.
I recommend going into mxs with the setups and find the best settings for that setup, once you have the right setup you can just grab the settings from the config file to edit the setup you want.

Deleting and Loading setups:
Both of these, can now be done via the overview tab.
Loading a setup can simply be done by double clicking the setup in the overview, or selecting a setup and then pressing the “load setup” button.
Deleting a setup goes in much the same way, select the setup then press the “Delete” key on your keyboard or click the “Delete setup” button, after a confirmation the setup will disappear from the overview and is deleted from the hard drive.

The main menu:
From here you can choose to open the MXS personal folder or MXS Setups folder.
Also there is an option to “Reload XML files into the application” this is for when you have the application running and you get a setup (.xml) file from someone, you can just paste that setup into the “MXS Setups” folder and then click the “Reload XML files into the application” in the main menu. So you won’t have to restart the application. There is also a hotkey for this like it says next to the menu option (F5).
The last option is Exit.

The help menu:
The help menu has not been finished as of yet. Due to time restraints I want to get the new application out before I insert the help sections because writing the help is quite a lot of work.

The rest has pretty much stayed the same.

PS. Really hoping for a sticky or a mention in the "Scripts, Software and Other Stuff" topic this time :)
MXS Garage 0.9 download here

---

Everytime you post something, a stupid baby gets punched in the face. Please post, for the smart children.

MXS Cares
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

btw. the download link is on the first post. forgot to mention that.

and i know the overview page can sometimes be a bit slow to load, I'm looking into that (not a very experienced programmer).

---

Everytime you post something, a stupid baby gets punched in the face. Please post, for the smart children.

MXS Cares
LuKe
Team: Privateer

Post by LuKe »

i have to say this has to be one of the best additions to this game, GREAT job kev :wink:
totorox

Post by totorox »

Nice tool, thx. I hope anothers tools like this are coming too and maybe I can help... So, can i ask you to send me your sources ? I'm not a C++ coder, but maybe i can use your work to learn and maybe adding simple functions , like adding a start buton for mxs and startup options (editor, etc), adding help references page, detecting setting changes and prompt to save them or not, compare tool, there's a lot of things to do but i can't swear i will make anything now... :x
Lucas.715
Team: Privateer

Post by Lucas.715 »

weellllll soo good man ^^,,,thanks so much

but ... we really need change this with mxs running.....heheh

when we are playing online....if we can change running...will be so good ^^;...

but anyway,,,congrat man"
totorox

Post by totorox »

Config file is used by mxsim process while playing, it will not be easy to do it.
He will need to hack memory values or have to ask JLV for adding new functions to MXsim to share some datas (maybe with log file) and/or allow external program requests.
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

we really need change this with mxs running
that has to do with the game itself, I can't force the game to use the new settings.
Nice tool, thx. I hope anothers tools like this are coming too and maybe I can help... So, can i ask you to send me your sources ? I'm not a C++ coder, but maybe i can use your work to learn and maybe adding simple functions , like adding a start buton for mxs and startup options (editor, etc), adding help references page, detecting setting changes and prompt to save them or not, compare tool, there's a lot of things to do but i can't swear i will make anything now...
I myself just started somewhere with this, on a sunday I just got this idea and started working on it.
I don't have a lot of experencie programming either.
If you have any good idea's you should definatly try to work them out, maybe I would even like to help you :P.
but this application I just wan't to keep to myself for now if you don't mind.

anyway, thanks everyone for all of the positive comments, definately motivates me to keep going with this app :).

---

MXS Cares
Trenton

Post by Trenton »

I Click ''load this setup'', but nothing happens, the setup doesn't get loaded into the game?
RaNDoM HeRO wrote:
NIKK SPILLANE #244 wrote:playing online is the best thing about this game
until theres little kids who bitch and whine when you tap there tire in the air or somthin
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

have you tried double clicking on the desired setup in the overview? does it load the setup then?

did you select the setup in the overview before pressing the load setup button?

---

MXS Cares
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Trenton wrote:I Click ''load this setup'', but nothing happens, the setup doesn't get loaded into the game?
Make sure the .exe is in your personal folder.
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

small request:

for the help section i'm making I need someone with a good understanding of the advanced stability settings.
there are a couple of things that I'm stuck on.

so if you want help me out, and give a brief explanation of some settings, just add me on msn (kevinoonkie[at]hotmail[dot]com) or if you don't have msn send me a pm.
would be much appreciated.

small update on the progress of the developement:
-greatly improved the performance of the application. no more slow loading overview.
-added a couple of cool things, that have to do with the metric values for suspension and the new landing damping settings.
-help section is almost finnished.
-made the application a bit more compact by removing some of the text on the setup editor. this can now be found in the help section.

you'll have to wait for the release of 2.1 to see that and more in action, which should be in the next couple of days depending how fast I get some help on those settings :)

---

MXS Cares
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Here's some explanation on the advanced stability settings, think jlv posted this:
Leveling - How much the bike wants to roll towards vertical.
Roll Damping - How quickly the bike leans over.
Roll Limit Angle - The angle when extra roll damping kicks in.
Roll Limit Factor - How much extra roll damping you get past roll limit angle.
Steering Damping - How quickly the bars turn.
Steering Strength - The force used to turn the bars.
Max Steering Force - The maximum forced applied to the bars.
Direct Steering - At 0, the steering control sets the target lean angle. At 1, the steering directly applies force to the handlebars.
Slow Damping Speed - Speed in feet per second below which you get extra roll damping.
Slow Damping Factor - Amount of extra roll damping you get below slow damping speed.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

thanks, i can work with that.
I also got an explanation from jlv this morning, so with that I can finnish the help.

---

MXS Cares
Servatis

Post by Servatis »

Version 2.1 can now be downloaded! Please read below, some important changes have been made.

Changes:

- The application, especially the overview tab, has been made much faster.
- The layout of the xml files has been changed, for the sake of speed. Your xml files will be automatically converted at the start of the application.
- Help menu is finished, be sure to read it when you are stuck.
- The new Landing damping settings have been added.
- Added the metric values of some of the suspension settings.
- Added a calculator which calculates the total preload in kilograms.
- Made the application a bit more compact.

The xml conversion:
The conversion will happen automatically at the start of version 2.1.
Read the message that appear on screen at the start of the application.
These new xml files don’t work with the old 2.0 version!
Old 2.0 setups can however be used in 2.1, they will be automatically converted.

The new landing damping settings:
These are now shown on the app and can be added to your setups.
Old setups without these settings can still be used though, they will be set to their default values once loaded into MXS.

The metric values calculators:
These values will be shown next to the setting once the setting has been given a value.
There are also 2 calculators that calculate and show the total amount of preload once both spring rate and preload have been entered for either front or rear suspension.

The help menu:
The help menu has been finished, there is help for both the application itself as well as the setting up of your bike.
I tried to go into as much detail as possible with the bike setup help, but if you feel I left something out please send me a pm about it.

If you get a chance to read through the help and tell me what you think please do so.
I tried, with the great help of others, to get it as detailed and compact as possible. But there is always room for improvement.

I would like to thank a couple of people that helped me out:
-Yomo, for replying to all my questions :).
-jlv, for helping me with a helpfull explanation of the things I didn't understand.
-yzmxer608, for posting that helpfull list on the forum.
-Luke#281 for beta testing.

---

MXS Cares
cclark

Post by cclark »

Thank you Servatis! The app' is immensely useful. :D