Controls for MXS and other bike sims

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
doubledragoncc

Controls for MXS and other bike sims

Post by doubledragoncc »

So here is the full system for motorcycle games at 90% of finished design. I am still working on the cover designs, so it will look a heck of a lot better when I make up my mind. The stand for steering adjusts up and down by 40cm and comes with a monitor or laptop stand. The unit has NO play in it at all, I can stand on it and jump and it wont wobble !!!. The foot control stand has been reduced in size and is as stable as the steering unit. The final units will have increased distance between the foot pegs ca. 30cm. The front and rear brakes are both with potentiometers, but on request I will also make the brakes with load cells. I am still waiting for delivery of the handlebar switches so I should have finished pics by Tuesday. I will try and make a new video today. The system is 100% compatible with GPBikes with full controls to use. GP500 will not take more than 3 axis so the rear brake is activated by JoyToKey which will be shipped pre-programmed with the system. MX simulator only recognizes steering and throttle, but once again with JoyToKey it has all controls. SBK 09 is a pain and needed JTK to see any input at all and steering is very sensitive. I am trying to get in touch with Blackbean to send them a unit to make a patch that will make it 100% compatible, and the same with Josh for MXS. Fuel is being imposible so am working on that too. I still need to try GTA4 just to see if I can get the bikes in there to work too. I will definitely be building units to sit on too but expect to pay an additional $100 to $150 depending on the type of seat used. I am still working out the cost of the base unit as it is not cheap to produce so it will be at least $350 depending on my suppliers of electronics and materials. I am trying my best to get the price down as low as I can so please be patient. Well here are a few pics for now, more coming later today including some videos with luck. Let me know what you think.

Follow the link below to see the pics.

http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/viewto ... 108&t=1740
cpt_Slow
Team: Privateer

Re: Controls for MXS and other bike sims

Post by cpt_Slow »

Aww dang and there was me just about to order a PIC18F2550 to build my own one of these. :P I think you should place the pivot below the bars though. Seems like it would be unnatural in the way you have it set up.

What's the issue with the axes not being compatible with mxsim? Would analogue clutch still work? And is lean forward/back implemented in any way?

Nice to see somebody making at go at something decent, looks pretty high quality nice job.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Wow, very impressive indeed. Like cpt mentioned, any support for forward and back lean? As a student at The University of Akron in mechanical engineering I wanted to undertake a project such as this as well, was the wiring that difficult?
doubledragoncc

Post by doubledragoncc »

I know most wont realize until they try it but it is wrong to have the steering point between the bars, believe me, I have experimented and this is the best setup and it feels very natural as it is like the pendulum action of a bike changing from left to right and visa versa. I will be putting 4 buttons on each side of the bars for rider control and more, plus 10 buttons in the center. MXS has a few problems when it comes to recognizing controler axis, even logitech and others, but I can get MXS to read analog input as a digital signal via JoyToKey as I said before. I am waiting to talk to Josh about getting compatability sorted ASAP. Video should be out tomorrow.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

If you look in "lastlog.txt", does your device have the correct number of axes? It should be listed somewhere after "DirectInput roll call...".
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
doubledragoncc

Post by doubledragoncc »

The system has 5 analog axes, steering, throttle, front brake, rear brake and clutch. My board can supply upto 8 analogs, 32 buttons, POV hat and rotary switches. MXS only recognized the steering and throttle?
doubledragoncc

Post by doubledragoncc »

I could only get brakes and clutch levers recognized when setup with JoyToKey
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Did you check if it was recognized correctly in "lastlog.txt"? To find it choose All Programs > MX Simulator > MX Simulator Personal Folder.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
JB323
Team: Privateer Life

Post by JB323 »

ive always wanted to dismantle a xbox controller and wire it up to a set of handlebars somehow.

id like to see the end result of this fer sure, id prob order a set.

Privateer Life # 323 Support from Motosport | Race Tech | 180 Decals

http://instagram.com/jbolen323/
Cody Darr
Team: Start Your Systems

Post by Cody Darr »

wow thats sick cant wait untill final release
2011 LRS Monday Night local Series 125 Pro Champion
jlv wrote:What a dope! He should have saved that move for the last lap like Cody Darr!
cpt_Slow

Post by cpt_Slow »

doubledragoncc wrote:I know most wont realize until they try it but it is wrong to have the steering point between the bars, believe me, I have experimented and this is the best setup and it feels very natural as it is like the pendulum action of a bike changing from left to right and visa versa. I will be putting 4 buttons on each side of the bars for rider control and more, plus 10 buttons in the center. MXS has a few problems when it comes to recognizing controler axis, even logitech and others, but I can get MXS to read analog input as a digital signal via JoyToKey as I said before. I am waiting to talk to Josh about getting compatability sorted ASAP. Video should be out tomorrow.

I don't really have much expertise in this area but it seems like this would be nicer for road bikes, but for motocross I like to push the bike down rather than lean with it. For this having the pivot as close to the ground as possible would be what I would go for. (I picture JLV giving me a physics lesson now. :P ) I personally was going to try using a 2-axis accelerometer and have the bars free although aching arms would be a problem. :lol:

If it feels natural to you though I'll take your word, certainley blows any other bike controller on the market out of the water.

Oh one more thing, how does it feel with "Direct Steering" turned down to 0 (or up to 1 I forget, just the opposite of default anyway.). I'm thinking without it, you'll have to make small twitchy movement, but with it you can hold the bars at the correct angle.
smoookey

Post by smoookey »

Cool! There’s more people than me that has to much time on their hands 

I’m also building a simulator, I sacrificed my RM125 ’91 (yeah it’s ’92 seat cover) and mounted my steering wheel and pedals on it. The pedals controls the Gas, front & rear break. The gear shifter is pushing on a button to shift up and down. I also mounted a button under the seat so I can stand and sit to control the dab (Don’t know if this work 100% yet). Then I have a sensor (not mounted yet) that reads where my body is, so if I lean forward I will lean forward in the game to. The software is 100% done and working but the bike has a lot of hours left.

I can recommend my burglar alarm that is showing in the background 

Thanx for a GREAT game.

doubledragoncc

Post by doubledragoncc »

I am just doing an OS upgrade and will not be testing till next week but will let you know the results and with luck have a good video for you all
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I'd love to have the skill to make stuff like what you guys are making
Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

Damn guys! Those look awesome.

I'm with DJ, except I also lack funding, space and materials on top of the skill. :lol:
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.