Question for track designers

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Question for track designers

Post by jlv »

What software do you use to edit height fields and what formats does it output?

Would it be good enough if I could read in a 16 bit greyscale png?

Post by Guest »

i would use 24 bit tga's. I use Photoshop.
wakestyle21

Post by wakestyle21 »

Anonymous wrote:i would use 24 bit tga's. I use Photoshop.
That's me ^^^
Mayfly
Team: Privateer

Post by Mayfly »

I'm used to making some tracks for Mx Atv. For that I use photoshop / paintshop pro and .png files 257 x 257 res. I think they are 16 bit
nickmx

Post by nickmx »

i use photoshop
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

I wanna be able to build a track in 3ds max. Easiest to place objects, plus you can still use a height map if you are comfertable.
nickmx

Post by nickmx »

i got couple track designs for you JLV there isent any jumps or anything on the pics just the layouts but if you need any track ideas ill post some pics for you if you wish
BoNalls

Post by BoNalls »

Format is a very important aspect of track creation as we have found with MCM1,MCM2, and MVA.

PNG files are highly detailed and would be great to use when creating greyscale terrain maps. We have always used TGA format, though. One thing we hated about the track editors in past MX games was the limitation on the size of the greyscale terrain map... we've been stuck at 512x512 until people figured out how to trick the games and utilize 2 512x512 maps and produce high definition terrain maps. I would like to see ATLEAST 1024x1024 greyscale maps, and if possible a little larger. The higher in definition, the more defined we can make jumps, ruts, whoops, berms, etc, and that means better tracks and more fun... ofcourse this is all limited by the game engine which im sure you can manipulate since you are creating it :wink:.

You have already stated that friction maps are already being utilized which is great. Another cool feature would be wind, blowing riders to the side a little bit while in the air.

Keep up the good work!
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

All the tracks I've made so far are 1025x1025 with 2 foot resolution. The height field dimension and resolution aren't hard coded so you can set them individually per track. The dimensions are limited to power of 2 plus 1 (i.e. 513x513, 1025x1025, 2049x2049). The resolution isn't limited, but going much higher would make too many polygons for a good framerate.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

so when can we expect to make soem tracks for this game?because im really tired of the low res. mx vs atv tracks.
Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

jlv wrote:The height field dimension and resolution aren't hard coded so you can set them individually per track.
Now that's music to my ears! Seconding wilsonatv's question, can't wait to start making tracks for this game. Just wondering how well the physics can cope up with tire wide ruts and tons of breaking bumps :mrgreen:
nickmx

Post by nickmx »

is there any way that i can help build tracks for you jlv or ideas. i want to help out alittle. if so thanks man
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Look at this page: http://mxsimulator.com/editing.html

If you're enough of a geek to handle that, send me a PM and I'll give you a login so you can download the blank track and mx.exe. Please only ask if you are serious about making tracks.
FactoryBR21

Post by FactoryBR21 »

what autorization i need for dwl the Creator mod and etc??
MXF_Popopski

Post by MXF_Popopski »

I have send MP has jlv but not yet answer