New rider test

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

New rider test

Post by jlv »

Here's a sample of the new rider code. I want to get some input on how it handles.

Don't replace your current mx.exe with this! This is incomplete experimental code that has some known problems. The demo format is incompatible with prior versions and there is no rider torso.

Don't download this if you don't know what you're doing.

Here are the urls:

Windows: http://mxsimulator.com/snapshots/mx-newridertest1.exe
Linux: http://mxsimulator.com/snapshots/mxbin-newridertest1

There are now lean forward/back keys in the control setup menu.
The suspension menu now has some settings that control how freely the rider moves and also let you set the rider's mass distribution. For the mass distribution the number represents how much mass is in the top half of the rider, so .33 is bottom heavy and .5 is perfectly even.

Again, this isn't a replacement for your current exe. This is just for testing purposes. If you mess anything up with this I'm not helping you! :mrgreen:
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Re: New rider test

Post by Pumaxcs »

im smart :D

it looks great took me awhile to get used to the fact i could lean but when he stands up you can tell hes actually standing whoops are so much more fun now

only problem i found was the frontwheel cant take as much like a lil bit of an overjump and youll eat it really quick
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Wow, this is quite different, in a good and bad way.

First off, this has a major improvement in the way the front end handles. I could hook into alot of the corners without the front end slipping.
Theres alot of options available to body positioning, which is great. But the rider looks like its too far forward, but thats probably because the legs are pushed back, which im guessing is the reason you didnt include the torso.
I just had a go on Dallas, and the rider absorbs hits really well, i wasn't going over the handlebars as often as normal. Watch the replay though, the bike looked was if it moves too unnaturally, which means that to rider is doing its job too well.
Then I configured the controls for forward and back movement, it became a bit more difficult to control, but that because I use a controller. I reckon i will have to set up some dead zones for this, so its not so touchy when i try and turn.
Anyway, I'll do a bit more testing with it, try out different settings. This certainly should be what people struggling with this game want.
rgaede
Team: Privateer

Post by rgaede »

The best improovement that I can feel is that, like dj said, the front end actually grips much better in the corners. Tracks like red bud are a lot less frustrating. Being able to get the front tire to actually grip is a huge improovement in the way the bike handles. Haven't had the time to check the replay on how it looks in riding and motion, but it feels a lot more like a real bike now.
Rgaede Past numbers #333 #19 Now #373

DILLIGAF
ShowtimeMx

Post by ShowtimeMx »

first off i went directly into mxsim and started playing without touching any settings. I absolutely loved it i thought the rider absorbs how a real rider should you still go over the bars if you dont jump right and you can take whoops like a champ. I then realized after playing about 15 laps on my sx track that i hadnt configured my controller for forward and backward lean, after doing that it was like a whole new world and it actually wasnt bad without the lean. but i really feel that this is going to bring a ton of people to MX sim while still keeping the learning curve. After playing it for a bit i got a little bit of a bug as it became very jumpy and stuttered and looked sketchy.

JLV i really think you have done a great job with this feature and i can honestly say that with some tweaking and once you update the rider model its going to be the best mx game ever.
keep up the good work and im sure everyone agrees that we appreciate you letting us test and give you input on this very important feature.
"this community has more little kids than michael jacksons neverland ranch on easter" -ddmx
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Yeah, its surprisingly good without the leaning forward and back. That doesn't mean I don't want it, in fact, there were a few places the lean back was extremely handy, like on the whoop jump parts on Paradise Raceway. The lean forward though, I don't really see a purpose for it, sitting does a good enough job.

In 1st person mode, it looks like the rider pushes himself back too far, and it pushes back too fast, but it seems ok in 3rd person. I think this is why the leaning feels weird to me.

But anyway, its still hard to do wheelies

moorin

Post by moorin »

excellent job jlv the bike feels more stable but i dont think the leaning front to back does too much because in real life going over a jump if you sit down and lean back before the takeoff you will seat bounce and i wasnt jumping any further then usual, also it seem the bike moves too much over the jumps and on the landings like dj said it looks unnataural. also when you press the sit button he should move forward like he does but maybe sit a bit more upright because his arms are right back and looks un-natural. but apart from that it feels amazing and i think it would be even better with a torso lol cante really concentrate with a see through body :lol:
YAMAHA privateers moorin,
if you aint rubbin you aint dubbin!
MXF_ATOC-x111
Team: Privateer

Post by MXF_ATOC-x111 »

Thx a lot JVL this is the best pré - snapshoot
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

Look at the rider from the side moorin, I think his upper half is way too far forward for the time being, thus making his arms look unnatural when he sits, if you look at his leg position which I believe is updated they look about right.

My question is why does the bike steer so much better in this version? When I'm not leaning fore or aft is the riders position different than in previous versions? I really like how you can compensate for poor jump faces that previously would kick you over the bars you can do a quick pull back near the top of the lip and it'll be fine now, I love that. So much less frustrating. I'm not using lean forward so much for turning as much as I am in the air to adjust the bike. I'm also using it for turning standing up through sweepers. I guess sitting works just as well, but in the future I can see it coming in handy. When the rider sits he is already pretty far forward, this seems to be by design, since we'd all be doing it anyways to get the bike to turn. From what I can tell the spring adjustment controls how quickly the dude moves, 100 is fast, 0 is really slow. I'm not too sure on damping. While the rider weight adjustment is nice I think it would be better to just go w/ one set in stone rider mass distribution. Eventually someone will find out what works best then we'll all just be running it at the same ratio anyways.

Thanks for letting us preview this update, its freakin' sweet.
yomo

Post by yomo »

well firstly i just want to say i absolutely love it. I play in 1st person so the torso doesn't bother me :lol:

Anyway a few points from me
Pro's:
The extra traction around corners is so much better
Soaking up bumps
Makes rough tracks much easier and heaps of fun
Overall just an awesome improvement i cant remember all the pro's

Con's
Rider position looks a little awkward - I think legs more upright and body more parallel to ground would be better (see picture below)

Making it easy to put in dead spots for the controller because it is really hard to pull directly back through a set of whoops (and if you lean a bit to the left or right you are going to eat dirt real fast)

Other random ideas:

On starts have the wheel pop up unless you are leaning forward (just in real life) (maybe add a hole shot button :lol: )
On flat corners have the rider stand up against the bike rather than lean against it
Not sure if it would work but try out sticky lean back and forward... for whoops and stuff
And obviously having the leg out will be awesome (even if it doesn't actually effect the bike)

Overall it is awsome and a real improvement on an already awesome game. Thank you so much :D
Kawasakis

Post by Kawasakis »

its just awesome i like it.. :) little to shaky camera.. :D
MXS Cup Winner
AX MX2 Champion

frederick
Team: Adept

Post by frederick »

Like DJ said, I think the rider does his job too well absorbing some bumps.
And the bike moves too easy in the air and still its not easy to handle your bike in the air(while whipping).
When I lean forward and then back the bike responds immideatly, I think it should be heavier to move around.
Wich will also make it alot smoother to move around in the air.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I don't think the rider does his job too well anymore, I like not front flipping over bumps now :D
frederick
Team: Adept

Post by frederick »

I just tried jumping over some of voutares smooth jumps @ donnington.
I stayed neutral going up the jump and while in the air.
Then I leaned back and that made the front go down is it supposed to be like that? :?
EDIT: I tried racing some more, and I think that this new physics works way better while on ground. Soaking up the bumps and stuff. But its almost impossible to whip, the rear doesnt go out, I just endo(most of the times)
So in my opinion you should make the air movement handle like it was before, kinda, and the leaning function shouldnt make the bike endo eventhough I lean back. When I lean back I front to rise.
It feels like a rocking horse while midair sometimes.
Last edited by frederick on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joe
Team: MXSP

Post by Joe »

ya it did the same thing to me some times but over all i really liked it after i got used to it its really fun but i dont think it transfers enough weight to the back when he leans back because you still do nose dives when you still lean all the way back and you cant do wheelies not saying they are important just that in real life you can wheelie through whoops and stuff like that