New rider test

Post anything about MX Simulator here. Please. I'm begging you.
ddmx

Re: New rider test

Post by ddmx »

Wideopen6 wrote:oh you meant just in the game lol.

leaning forward helps soak up jumps i like that alot.

plus it helps being able to lean forward when you go nose high.
ddmx488 wrote: I think the rider leaning forward should be kept in for a couple of reasons even if i didn't find myself using it that much. 1. This is a sim and people would knock it if you couldn't lean forward. 2. It's fun to "style" with the leaning forward while whipping. 3. Off the starts 4. Nose wheelies 5. Front flips.
frederick
Team: Adept

Post by frederick »

Wideopen6 wrote: leaning forward helps soak up jumps i like that alot.

plus it helps being able to lean forward when you go nose high.
lol I always endo with the new physics..
Voutare
Team: Privateer

Post by Voutare »

Joe Sawler wrote:ya it did the same thing to me some times but over all i really liked it after i got used to it its really fun but i dont think it transfers enough weight to the back when he leans back because you still do nose dives when you still lean all the way back and you cant do wheelies not saying they are important just that in real life you can wheelie through whoops and stuff like that

That is realistic, though.

If you seatbounce a jump, and you sit too far back, you go over the bars, right?

To far forward, and you do the same thing.

It's hard to explain it standing since you don't really have a standup position where you'd be on the rear fender, but it's a spring. It's loading your shock, and rebounding faster, because it compresses faster. This forces your bike to go up and gyro forward. I haven't tested it yet, but I will.

And I'll say this first: Thanks JLV, you proved me wrong. I didn't think there was this much progress going on.
yomo195 wrote:well firstly i just want to say i absolutely love it. I play in 1st person so the torso doesn't bother me :lol:

Anyway a few points from me
Pro's:
The extra traction around corners is so much better
Soaking up bumps
Makes rough tracks much easier and heaps of fun
Overall just an awesome improvement i cant remember all the pro's

Con's
Rider position looks a little awkward - I think legs more upright and body more parallel to ground would be better (see picture below)

Making it easy to put in dead spots for the controller because it is really hard to pull directly back through a set of whoops (and if you lean a bit to the left or right you are going to eat dirt real fast)

Other random ideas:

On starts have the wheel pop up unless you are leaning forward (just in real life) (maybe add a hole shot button :lol: )
On flat corners have the rider stand up against the bike rather than lean against it
Not sure if it would work but try out sticky lean back and forward... for whoops and stuff
And obviously having the leg out will be awesome (even if it doesn't actually effect the bike)

Overall it is awsome and a real improvement on an already awesome game. Thank you so much :D
And to that, look at his knees. They are way above the seat, so he is most likely 6 foot 1, at least. Ever look at Travis Pastrana when he jumps? Legs, fairly straight, parrallel to he ground/45 to the ground torso. Then watch James stewart jump? He's practically 1 inch of the seat all the time, torso straight up and down.

The rider position varies depending on the rider. I always get 5 foot 5 people saying that I don't jump right, but it's different because I'm 8 inches taller than them.
http://www.theracingpaper.com/blogandt/ ... trana1.jpg
Same with Windham.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2228/227 ... a9242f.jpg
Me: (6'1")
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j102/ ... 0_0754.jpg

Funny how I can't find a picture of Stewart not whipping when he's in the air. Lol. :D
http://k43.pbase.com/g3/97/326897/2/527 ... ontiac.jpg
Last edited by Voutare on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frederick
Team: Adept

Post by frederick »

This is what I meant with the rocking horse, use the follow cam from the side and look when i lean forward and back, the rider stays in the sam position whith the bike moving under him.
Thats Not how it should be, the rider is supposed to lean back, the bike isnt supposed to move forward:/
I think that is what make the nose dive if you lean back while mid air.
And also when I overjump a bit and land the bike kinda shoots sideways.
Attachments
default.mxdemo
(165.71 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

That also depends on what you are doing.

I use 4 basic movements when I ride.

1. Lean back.
2. Lean forward.
3. Push back.
4. Push forward.

Pushing back would be pulling on the bars, pushing with the pegs back through the swingarm, pushing forward is getting yourself out of a sticky sit-i-aton. (I.E. front end high.)

Lean back is pulling the front up, lean forward is pushing it down. See, two types of forwards, two opposite movements. Same with back.

Right now, the rider isn't leaning as much as he is pulling and pushing.
mace-x
Team: your sister´s fan!

Post by mace-x »

well, i like it a lot

pros:
-the ability to preload
-almost choose how far do u want to go
-the grip is a lot better
-its easyer to control

cons:
- i cant scrub or whip :cry: :cry:

im sure that jlv have changed the wheels "stickness"
Massacre ftw!

the human stupidity and the universe are unlimited, and im not totally sure about the universe...
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

Well since quoting yourself seems to be cool now, does someone want to read what I wrote on the first page? Stop whining that the dude moves too fast, set your forward spring slider to 0 and then move him fore and aft...
Phathry25 wrote: From what I can tell the spring adjustment controls how quickly the dude moves, 100 is fast, 0 is really slow. I'm not too sure on damping.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Well i really like it, it wasnt that great at first when i used the keyboard but once i got used to using the controller it really flowed well. I could do everything i used to. Now its alot more stabil in whoops and you can save it alot more if you mess up.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

anyone else notice that you can pretty much hit anything as fast as you'd like with no repercussions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToAKb1sreNg
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

As far as it looking like the rider is moving the bike too much, I think it's just because the chase camera is attached to the rider rather than the bike. It should look better when I attach the camera to the bike's frame instead.

The whips are a little slower because the total moment of inertia is higher now. To counteract it you can sit down in the air to reduce the moment of inertia.

Voutare has it right about why leaning back can cause an endo. If you look at the rear suspension you'll see it's getting too much preload and kicking you over the front. You want to lean back just before you leave the ground. The act of leaning backward will push on the bars and force the fork to compress which will keep the front up. If you lean back too soon the fork won't compress.

The friction hasn't been touched. The reason the front sticks better is the bike pivots under the rider better so the front wheel has more consistent pressure.

Are you guys happy with the 50,50,50,50,.33 settings?
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

I did a cool whip on Sonora, a lot like how I style my whips in real life. (I.E. no upsidedown backwords freestyle whips.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYs9hH-rQf8
Theres a video for comparison.

It's in the demo on the second lap, on the first tabletop.

I also seatbounced the double-double section, and it looks really cool.

Also, how it feels going 4th pinned hanging off the rear fender off the back table is an awesome feeling, even for a videogame.

EDIT: Yes, I like it how it is.

It would be nice if the forward lean was faster though, so I can do the whole lean forward and scrub thing that you see in movies and shit.

But yeah, it's ok. I don't know why, but it feels like even when neutral, it nose-dives a little too much. Maybe something with how I'm riding, but I'm waiting until the lip to lean back. Probably because I'm not taking into account the amount of time it takes to get back.

EDIT2: Why isn't there a torso? I want to take really nice screenshots so bad. :D
Attachments
Voutare.Oddwhip.mxdemo
(728.94 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

I think 50 on the forward spring is too fast, personally I've been running 25 there. The rest seem fine at 50.
Joe
Team: MXSP

Post by Joe »

Phathry25 wrote:anyone else notice that you can pretty much hit anything as fast as you'd like with no repercussions?

ya but you could do that before the rider lean
Wideopen6

Post by Wideopen6 »

Joe Sawler wrote:
Phathry25 wrote:anyone else notice that you can pretty much hit anything as fast as you'd like with no repercussions?

ya but you could do that before the rider lean

hahah beat me to it.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

not on some jumps, now I can get away w/ it on every jump.