Separate high and low speed compression damping

Post your suggestions here
Shadow
Team: FSK

Separate high and low speed compression damping

Post by Shadow »

Well like the title says, separate sliders for adjusting low and high speed damping would be nice. If you look at a properly tuned suspension, say in a pro mx race, it reacts quickly to small bumps and at the same time still soaks up the big stuff.
Right now it's not exactly possible to tune one's suspension like that in mxsim, when adjusting the compression to be soft enough for small stuff, it doesn't work on square-edged and big bumps and vice-versa when it's stiff for the big stuff.

Besides, who doesn't want a few more things to figure out and tune in mxsim? :mrgreen:
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
ShackAttack12

Re: Separate high and low speed compression damping

Post by ShackAttack12 »

To add on to this, I'd also like to see a broader range for the front and rear springs as well.

Most simulation racing games allow you to go to pretty much both extremes (soft and hard) as far as settings go.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
Stormz

Post by Stormz »

I've been wanting something like this for a while now, but always forgot to post on here.

I think you've both got excellent bits of improvement. It's hard for me to know how to tune my suspension because I can't really determine what does what. I'm used to the RL way (H/L speed compression) and the current MXS version just throws me off as to how it works even though I've read and read about it.
Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

It's not that different from a real bike's suspension setup.
I think jlv mentioned that it's only low speed damping, or both low and high on the same slider, can't remember which.

Just think of the 0-100 slider as clickers with a shitload of clicks. :lol:
Or first adjust by 10 point increments, so you'd have 10 "clicks" on the damping settings, until it starts to feel sort of right, then drop to 5 point increments until it feels almost right, and then to one point increment until it feels dialed in. :D
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

ShackAttack12 wrote:To add on to this, I'd also like to see a broader range for the front and rear springs as well.

Most simulation racing games allow you to go to pretty much both extremes (soft and hard) as far as settings go.
For the springs I based the range on what springs were available at Race Tech.
Shadow wrote:It's not that different from a real bike's suspension setup.
I think jlv mentioned that it's only low speed damping, or both low and high on the same slider, can't remember which.
It's both. I would have done separate low and high speed but I wasn't sure exactly how the clickers change the damping force curve. If I had the data the actual code would be simple.

For what it's worth, the shock dynos I've seen go for a flat curve like MX Sim uses.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

jlv wrote:
ShackAttack12 wrote:To add on to this, I'd also like to see a broader range for the front and rear springs as well.

It's both. I would have done separate low and high speed but I wasn't sure exactly how the clickers change the damping force curve. If I had the data the actual code would be simple.

For what it's worth, the shock dynos I've seen go for a flat curve like MX Sim uses.
There is a small chance I may do a simulation project on a motocross fork (simplified slightly of course)....if I go through with it I can give you the information from it...
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

jlv wrote: If I had the data the actual code would be simple.
Checkerz, get on it
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

jlv wrote:

I believe one is position sensitive and the other isn't, but I'll have to get some info.

Have you checked out the Motorcycle SUspension Bible JLV? And would you be interested in attending one of our seminars?
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I don't think I can find the time for a seminar but I'll buy the Suspension Bible. What I don't know is how many inches per second is considered low speed and how many inches/second is high speed. Based on the speeds covered by the dynos I've seen I guess low speed would be under 6 in/sec for the shock and under 10 in/sec for the fork. But that would be a pure guess on my part. I'm also not sure exactly how much the adjusters change it.

It would be cool to see how moving the adjusters changes the damping force curve on the dyno.

Also, as far as I know this stuff is all speed sensitive. The only position sensitive part is the bottom out cone in the fork.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

If I can get some time scheduled for you to speak with our head of R&D to ask questions and for explanation, would you be interested? No promises, but I'd be willing to try and set something up. I don't know the answer because I'm still learning.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I don't need explanations so much as numbers. A low speed open / low speed closed and high speed open / high speed closed chart would be incredibly helpful.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
DK662

Post by DK662 »

jlv
This might help you out figuring out numbers. Its not cut and dry but may help you.
http://www.shimrestackor.com

Race tech doesnt show as much about numbers than this program does.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

That's pretty cool! I'm amazed that they only charge $63 for it. You would think it would be a few thousand considering how small the market of suspension tuners that could use it must be.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

DK662 wrote:jlv
This might help you out figuring out numbers. Its not cut and dry but may help you.
http://www.shimrestackor.com

Race tech doesnt show as much about numbers than this program does.
Wow, that is truely amazing. There is tons of information there and could be very useful for tuning. I agree with JLV that 63$ for that seems like a bargain considering all the information it provides.

JLV, any plans on implementing more damping adjustments in the settings? I'd personally like to be able to adjust low and high speed damping for both suspension and rebound for both forks and the shock. I think by using that program and obtaining some stock valving number for the bikes, you could make adjustments in game possible.

I'd personally like to be able to fine tune the damping.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Yeah. Still a little unsure of what velocities are considered high speed and low speed though.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com