Background Color System

Post your suggestions here
KTM57

Background Color System

Post by KTM57 »

Whenever we get around to the point where number skins can be chosen, it would be nice to have a background color system as well. I've thought of two. Keep in mind, I have no experience with scripting or coding or writing anything other than HTML in some computer class last year where the teacher made up our grades.

1. Naming of PNGs

Pretty much, you would have crf450-model-skin_whitebg/crf450-model_whitebg or something of the like for each color, probably just white, black, yellow and red seeing as those are the main background colors used in racing. Each background color might refer to a different numbers.png, which would be named similarly like the bike texture and would probably just be white or black depending on the color. For example, crf450-model-skin_whitebg would refer to numbers_whitebg.png, which would probably be black. Seems simple enough.

2. (This one may be a bit far-fetched, but hear me out here. This is coming from a skinner's perspective and would be really nice)

This would involve another choice in the bike setup screen called numberplate background or something like that. There would be a .png in the same size and format of the bike texture to be overlayed onto the bike texture. A background overlay could be included for each bike skin or each model (crf450-model-skin_bg/crf450-model_bg) and be in many different colors, choosable under the bike setup menu and named similarly to the bike (crf450-2012 Team Limited Decal_whitebg) so that the user could easily find the corresponding background. This would make it so that less .pngs would need to be included in a bike pack. A menu where a color of numbers would be chosen between white and black would go along with this as well, or it may be specified which background color has which numbers in some type of file included with the saf.*

*This type of a file would be useful for other stuff, too, I'm sure.

Feel free to bounce ideas around, just wanted to put this out there. If it's stupid, then don't be afraid to overlook it.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
DJD

Re: Background Color System

Post by DJD »

Ashes
Team: Privateer #65

Post by Ashes »

I proposed a "skin mixing" model similar to your point number 2 a long time ago.
Check out my post here... http://forum.mxsimulator.com/viewtopic. ... start=1545

I STILL think that that idea could really work - AND it'd give flexibility on not only bacgrounds, but on things like pipes, bar pads etc.

Anyways...
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

I didn't read the suggestions, if it's more than two sentences, it's too complicated.
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Skins named accordingly to background color, i.e. crf450-model-skin_whitebg or crf450-model_whitebg.

Numberplate overlay included which is named accordingly to the skin, i.e. crf450-model-skin_whitebg would be overlayed on crf450-model-skin. Number color option added or file dictating which numbers go with which backgound.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Mona
Team: MotoOption

Post by Mona »

KTM57 wrote:There would be a .png in the same size and format of the bike texture to be overlayed onto the bike texture.
Bike files loaded now:
-Skin (2048x2048)
-Norm (2048x2048)
-Spec (2048x2048) (Sometimes 1024x1024?)

This idea would add another 2048x2048 texture that would have to be loaded to each bike.
KTM57 wrote:This would make it so that less .pngs would need to be included in a bike pack.
[Less files loaded, per bike, ingame] > [Less files in .saf]
KTM57

Post by KTM57 »

Yeah, I thought about that. Lots of texture memory used, I guess.