Models/Texture linkage

Post your suggestions here
DJ99X

Models/Texture linkage

Post by DJ99X »

We need a better way to link models and textures.

I've got over 100 mb of rider textures that I want to upload, all of which have a neck brace. If I want to have the option of no neck brace, I have to duplicate all of those textures, just so I can use them on another model. Not only does it double my upload size, but it also seems like a waste of memory in game.

Another situation is with the fences we have been making for the national tracks. We split the fence into something like 12 parts, because 12 different textures will be used. But every one of them use the same normal and spec map. So 1 normal/spec combo needs to be duplicated 11 times just because it needs a different name.

I'm not entirely sure what the solution should be; I just needed to vent my frustration more than anything.

With the bike/rider scenario, maybe it could have something like this:

List all of the textures like it already does. The user selects which texture he/she wants to use. A second menu can then list all of the models which are linked to this texture. This linkage could be done in the .info file of the texture, where a list of models could be written.

That would allow people to choose different shaped riders, whether they want a brace on or not. Could be similar for the bike
giopanda
Team: Privateer

Re: Models/Texture linkage

Post by giopanda »

totally agree.
Kamloops

Post by Kamloops »

giopanda wrote:totally agree.
And, if I can add something at that you said, I think it would be good to make another category for exhausts. Because many people use the same bike/skin but with a different muffler, which requires loading multiple different model. However, if we did like this, one could load the same model bike but charge different model muffler.

For example, it could be a new jm (eg : yzf250_exhaust-Akra.jm) with an skin.
I don't know if that's possible, but I think it could reduce the number of mb and maybe helps to keep the game running better.

(Sorry for not creating a new topic, but I think it was good to put it here with your idea.)
p2sta

Post by p2sta »

agree with that....

as Kamloops said separate exhaust for bikes would be pretty cool

for the rider I would like to see a possibility to have braces and boot as separate models too...since the way dj suggested will not really work effective IMO...if you have more then one brace model, you will still needs more skins...so if you have a brace as different model it will make things a lot easier, same for boots...if you want to have same gear with different boots then you are forced to do multiple copies of same gear which means to load more maps
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

i think seperating the models not only will help save space, but will give people that extra little bit of customizing without having to know anything about photoshop or anything. pick and click. then get a nice new looking name and number generator. and be able to view your "setup" of rider and bike. :D \
i know, this just went from a pretty simple idea to something totally complex. BUT I WANT IT! the game has to evolve at some point to this i do believe.
Tom cortvriendt

Post by Tom cortvriendt »

This would be so good, just to click no brace, with brace, protector, no protector, which boots, all of them.
motoxjeff#7 wrote:JLV do you ever just sit back, and say " DAMN I made this game"? lol
barrington314

Post by barrington314 »

yea, would be epic. but i think JLV ax'ed the idea already.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

I'm pretty sure the reason Jlv has everything in one texture, is that it reduces the amount of texture switching. I'm not sure if that's the only reason though.

Anyway, that is not what I'm asking for. My suggestion reduces texture memory usage, not increases it
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

giopanda wrote:totally agree.
Hi
barrington314

Post by barrington314 »

DJ99X wrote:
Anyway, that is not what I'm asking for. My suggestion reduces texture memory usage, not increases it
yea i thought having neck braces and boots seperated would reduced the amount of garbage. but i dont know shit about that. either way, would be cool. same with exhausts like p2sta said.
Scotty226
Team: Crisp Graphics

Post by Scotty226 »

don't forget handguards
0 | 1 | 0 | 4
2014 Loretta Lynns 250 Pro Sport 2nd
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Here's an idea that would be fairly simple. Add a new type of file that ends in ".links". It should be a text file that looks something like this:

sx2012.links:
filename-that-doesnt-actually-exist -> file-that-i-want-it-to-link-to
tufx2_norm.png -> tuf_norm.png
sx2012/ blackseats_norm-repeat.png -> sx2012/seats_norm-repeat.png

The game will read all the ".links" files and remap the file names accordingly. So in this case, opening "tufx2_norm.png" will give you "tuf_norm.png".

It should even be possible to make the texture loader notice links and share the textures without too much trouble. At least I think so. The editor uses texture ID's instead of file names internally so it would change the names when you saved if the name was a link. Not sure if that would cause trouble or not. Might be some other problems I haven't thought of yet too.

Actually, thinking about it a little more, I could just add links in the saf file's header instead of using separate files. Not sure if that would be more or less confusing.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
ShowtimeMx

Post by ShowtimeMx »

jlv wrote:Here's an idea that would be fairly simple. Add a new type of file that ends in ".links". It should be a text file that looks something like this:

sx2012.links:
filename-that-doesnt-actually-exist -> file-that-i-want-it-to-link-to
tufx2_norm.png -> tuf_norm.png
sx2012/ blackseats_norm-repeat.png -> sx2012/seats_norm-repeat.png

The game will read all the ".links" files and remap the file names accordingly. So in this case, opening "tufx2_norm.png" will give you "tuf_norm.png".

It should even be possible to make the texture loader notice links and share the textures without too much trouble. At least I think so. The editor uses texture ID's instead of file names internally so it would change the names when you saved if the name was a link. Not sure if that would cause trouble or not. Might be some other problems I haven't thought of yet too.

Actually, thinking about it a little more, I could just add links in the saf file's header instead of using separate files. Not sure if that would be more or less confusing.

This seems like it might fix the fence issues, but still does not fix the 2.1gb of rider gear I have installed on my hard drive because i have to select black thor gear with or without a brace and then go through 12 more of which color of boots and chest protector i want. I actually had on my last computer a total of 6.7gb of just textures, thats ridiculous. Is there anyway we can just try seperating the boots in a beta snapshot just to see the performance difference? its hard enough that we cant see any of the models were selecting but going through hundreds of skins because creators are making the same skin with 12 different variations is just getting old.
"this community has more little kids than michael jacksons neverland ranch on easter" -ddmx
mbork-1
Team: NOTEAM

Post by mbork-1 »

this was discussed many times i think but here is my fantasy

in rider menu

helmet-XXX
brace-XXX(or no)
gear-XXX
Chest protector-XXX(or no)
boots- XXX

in bike menu

BRAND:XXX MODEL:XXX BIKE:XXX Bar pad:XXX Wheels:XXX Exhaust:XXX Extra 1:XXX Extra 2:XXX Extra 3:XXX

*for rider is all easy just for each thing separate model,but for bike .....just an example ,we choose Honda CRF250>my crf 2014>SKIN>Fatbar(with handguards)>gold wheels>Procircuit>Skidplate>NO>cycra plate(3rd extra is detail which could be placed on front end only)
3rd MX2 EMF - AX Series 2011
2nd MX1 BMF - Friday Night Series 2012
1st MX3 - EMXs
8th MX1 EMF - MX Series 2012
barrington314

Post by barrington314 »

^^^ ill keep dreaming along with you man. but dont think its gonna happen ANYTIME soon.
maybe that can be the next big thing after terrain shadders.