multiplayer skins

Post your suggestions here
Serjovax
Team: Privateer

multiplayer skins

Post by Serjovax »

:roll: I was thinking, i remember back in old days when i played quake 2 that the skins and models of each player where downloaded automatically when the game was loaded (not in game).... so my question is, Is it possible that this feature get implemented on this game :?: . :? Well I guess this would slow down the loading time the first time you join and don't have a skin, IDK if it will lag in game ether... and maybe putting an option to toggle this feature on or off (thinking of does with slower PC's or Internet Connection) would be cool...
i mean, i would love to see the other people's gear and bike not the stock bike and default gear when im racing online. and show of the gear and skin im using...

ATT.
Sejovax 8)
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: multiplayer skins

Post by jlv »

Definitely plan on doing that. The main issue will be what to do about copyrights.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
bdownen323

Post by bdownen323 »

What sort of copyrights could be placed on that feature? Like from the companies involved in the making of the skins?
m121c

Post by m121c »

Ya but I don't want to have 20gb of noob skins in my personal folder. Unless its just downloaded for that race and deleted after?
Ryan_Tate172
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Apex Photo/FWR

Post by Ryan_Tate172 »

m121c wrote:Ya but I don't want to have 20gb of noob skins in my personal folder. Unless its just downloaded for that race and deleted after?
I like that idea.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

bdownen323 wrote:What sort of copyrights could be placed on that feature? Like from the companies involved in the making of the skins?
You're thinking of trademarks, which protects against impersonating someone else's brand. Copyright protects against copying someone else's original work. Anything you create is automatically under copyright.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Serjovax

Post by Serjovax »

jlv wrote:
bdownen323 wrote:What sort of copyrights could be placed on that feature? Like from the companies involved in the making of the skins?
You're thinking of trademarks, which protects against impersonating someone else's brand. Copyright protects against copying someone else's original work. Anything you create is automatically under copyright.
:? Yea, maybe that could be a issue in some way... :roll: but most of the gears and bikes people are using are downloaded from mx puere and other pages.
i've always thought that when it downloads the skins its from the users not an actual mxsim database (im just guessing this is the process quake used).
what if it downloads to a protected folder and u cant use any of the skins in ur game, just like a cache folder that u can clean up any time you want to free hard drive space, you are not adding nothing to the actual game folder (i mean its not been added to the game its just a deacal in a outbuilding folder) :| i dont know if u get what i mean..
Mayfly

Post by Mayfly »

maybe in the meantime there could be a .txt file created when you go online which list's the skins that you are missing? That way you can manually search for them online afterwards? I know I've been trying to dl a lot of skins so everyone's look right online but I'm still missing a lot =P
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Didn't know you were still around Mayfly!

I don't know if this would work, or how feasible it would be, but something similar to what Mayfly suggested, but when someone releases a skin have some sort of a tag (in the .info file?) that you could place a url for the texture. Then that link could show in the txt output file (even better if it was an html file ;)).
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I'd probably just make an online database and have the game ask that about missing files. E.g. When the game doesn't find rider_body-l33t-red.png, it asks a web server to look that up and map it to the correct saf file or url.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
Serjovax

Post by Serjovax »

Mayfly wrote:maybe in the meantime there could be a .txt file created when you go online which list's the skins that you are missing? That way you can manually search for them online afterwards? I know I've been trying to dl a lot of skins so everyone's look right online but I'm still missing a lot =P
dosent sound like a bad idea wile the feature is added
:idea: :idea: