Disable New Members Thread Creation

Post your suggestions here
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Disable New Members Thread Creation

Post by SMR 510RR »

The game is getting new members all the time. While that is great in general one of the not so great side effects is that we are seeing new members start thread after thread. These threads are all stuff that has been either answered before or asked by the thread starter multiple times in multiple threads sometimes more than one per day.

I am a member of a number of forums and some have had this problem and came up with some good ways to deal with it. The most successful IMO is that new members must have x number of posts (say 30) and must have been a member for at least x number of days (60 maybe) before they can start a new thread. This is good for a couple reasons. First, obviously it cuts down on the number of similar threads (this is good because we don't all have to read them and because it makes information easier to find). Second, it encourages new members to seek out existing threads on the topic they want to know about before starting a new thread. Even if their question is not answered by the existing thread they can post within it and then the information is there for the next guy who comes along.

JLV I know you don't want to police the forums and moderate the place to death. This is a great way to not have to do that and still have the forum function as it should with little to no moderation.

What does everyone think?
MotardMatt220

Re: Disable New Members Thread Creation

Post by MotardMatt220 »

Seems like a decent idea, i can see it working pretty well
Scotty226
Team: Crisp Graphics

Post by Scotty226 »

Perfect. Incase you never noticed im getting pretty fed up with all the useless topics too haha
0 | 1 | 0 | 4
2014 Loretta Lynns 250 Pro Sport 2nd
jbrandmx85

Post by jbrandmx85 »

Good idea IMO
barrington314
Team: me

Post by barrington314 »

Liked
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

I've also seen some that have the FAQ as part of the member sign up, made that the first place you went after your first log in, or even use the FAQ as a "you must post here before you have rights". I guess anything to force them into looking there but if thats what we do I'd want to update the FAQ more than what it is, not necessarily saying we have to move everything there but atleast more of a rounded "Looking for PC help - HERE Looking for Track editing help - HERE" and link them to the correct places.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

The extra topics don't bother me. I find the noob hazing more annoying than the noobs.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
WellsMX524
Team: Aspect Visual Co.

Post by WellsMX524 »

I've been a member of communities that have had a post count limit before you could create a thread, worked wonders.

Thumbs up for this idea.
slowngreen
Team: MotoPin Racing

Post by slowngreen »

jlv wrote:The extra topics don't bother me. I find the noob hazing more annoying than the noobs.

:lol:

I agree. Half the members act like wanna be mods and it is actually effecting them in some way that a noob has asked a question thats been asked before.
Im a mod on a forum that had so much noob bashing going on for a while that there wasnt much good info being posted without threads being derailed almost instantly that we finally just started giving warnings with point then permanent bans. Runs so smooth now without all the bullshit.
James_122
Team: Channel 4 News

Post by James_122 »

jlv wrote:The extra topics don't bother me. I find the noob hazing more annoying than the noobs.
Scotty226 wrote:Perfect. Incase you never noticed im getting pretty fed up with all the useless topics too haha
l

o

l
Dumont#11

Post by Dumont#11 »

+1
New Track Releases:
Dumont's Compound (To come.. Much better than my old tracks.)