New Collision System

Post your suggestions here

Do you like the New or Old system of collisions

Old System (before front end lock up/rider in front bias to get up faster)
92%
New System (after front end lock up/rider in front bias to get up faster)
8%

Total votes: 49

Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

New Collision System

Post by Sweendoggy »

Many people dislike the new collision system, with the front end locking up, and the rider in front bouncing back up un-naturally...but the new system is intended to keep people from making bullshit passes...I personally think the game has MORE bullshit passes/racing since the front end lock up, I like the theory behind it, but it is ruining close racing most definitely, and I think there was nothing wrong with the old system, let the rammers ram, technically they could do that in real life too if they had the balls...
DJ99X

Re: New Collision System

Post by DJ99X »

I like the idea of it. It just needs a higher threshold so a slight tap isnt going to ruin you.
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

The front end locking has got to go. It has done much more harm than good in organized races lately. I think its going to take some of the fun out of the Sx series

I think instead of locking the front end, have the front end jolt a certain way depending on the force of impact. That way, there's still a negative effect of ramming someone, yet theres a chance to save it.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

OK, but before I take it out, could someone go try one of those front wheel bump passes in real life and post a video of it here?

Seriously, I might gradually tone it down but it's not going away. Best to learn not to run over people.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
MX196
Team: Privateer

Post by MX196 »

Can someone post a vid of a top on the swingarm and ride away with it? Yes...
Sweendoggy

Post by Sweendoggy »

All I'm saying is close racing will be impossible this way...most likely due to lag, it is impossible to not touch your front end to people when riding close. I will start gathering demos of what I'm talkin about.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

Try this. This only limits the stabilizer strength instead of cutting the total steering strength. The client version is 3 so it won't work on 19802.

http://mxsimulator.com/snapshots/mx-2010-12-31.exe
http://mxsimulator.com/snapshots/mxbin-2010-12-31
MX196 wrote:Can someone post a vid of a top on the swingarm and ride away with it? Yes...
Do it! Have someone take a video of you giving someone a swingarm bump!
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Sweendoggy

Post by Sweendoggy »

Watch that video, I feel like most of those crashes would be accurate with the old system, but when you see chad and james riding next to eachother in berms and stuff, chads front end is about halfway up on james bike and in MXS right now you would crash for sure there, mostly due to the lag and not realizing you are so close or w/e, but it still kills close racing....

Then other times, you can clearly see that one of their front ends clips the other guy and they are fine, like when they clip in the air, like when james falls in that turn and chad hits him, in mxs you would most definitely hit the ground after those 2 insidents...

Maybe the threshold should just be lessened, or changed slightly, but after these past few organized events, it has def. sucked out the fun/closeness of the racing.

btw I will try that eventually. Also, sorry to be spearheading this campaign JLV, but I hear people complain about this all too often, and no one speaks up
Whipped
Team: Giles

Post by Whipped »

yea but isnt that racing? bangin bars? getting rough? i understand the people slaming each other and what not but not just for some good battles in some races? i mean thats just racin
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

At :27, watch Reed guard his front wheel. Again at 1:29. Once people learn to ride like that there won't be many issues. The question is whether people are smart enough to figure that out. Right now everyone just blindly plows ahead and then wonders why they went down.

At :48 the old system would usually let you survive that when you should have obviously gone down. The collision at :54 is another one that most people seem to think should be survivable in mx sim.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

BTW, when I said post a video, I meant of yourself. Once you guys prove that you do that in real life I'll believe it. :D
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

What about the pass at 1:10? Its impossible to do anything like that at the moment as the slight lag will count that as a front wheel collision.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

100% agree with DJ. With "lag" even if you get close to another person and don't touch, you fuckin swerve all over the place because your steering strength goes way down. Ever since this has been implemented, it's made close racing impossible. As much as you argue it's fair, to the "competitive yet fair racer" who doesn't aim for takeouts, moreso close passes, it's impossible to keep it up while passing. This has got to go. Videos showing that it's possible to avoid these types of collisions on the "attacked" riders end are erroneous, because like mentioned before, due to lag it's impossible to compensate for. Show me a server with 0 lag for all riders across the world and I'll show you close racing in mxs.
i_Bite#21

Post by i_Bite#21 »

Yeah this bugs me too because whenever i tap someone barely i go down. then it takes 15 seconds to get up
Sweendoggy

Post by Sweendoggy »

JLV -

Yea don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you from a Theoretical perspective, but it just isn't working right in game. I still haven't tried what you posted, but I know that right now there are a lot of very strange/unnatural things happening now. What you have set up works great for T boning, or when you just push someone off the track, but for most other things it is quite frustrating, like hitting downed riders (they pop back up and leave you in the dust), hitting side to side with someone (No chance of saving it, you are pulled straight into the dirt), and slight contact at medium speeds in the corners (the guy trying to make the pass always loses, which is a HUGE problem for SX as most passes are aggressive/block pass or w/e). also when my front wheel gets hit in real life, I usually can see it coming and am able to recover/avoid/hold my bars straight really well, that or they hit me hard enough to completly clean out my front wheel (which could be done with the old system), and I have also, unintentionally, ran over a downed riders bike before and came out ok, other than my bike obviously bouncing off it, and me getting a bit out of control, my front end steering didn't completly go away from it either. It SOUNDS like using stability is a better plan than strength, because hitting your front wheel doesn't make you loose strength, but I DO agree that you would lose stability, and I DO agree that you should have to protect your front wheel, I think lag is the biggest issue here, as I have gone back and looked at a few demos of things that happened strangely to me, and found that I was a TON closer to the other riders than it appeared...Obviously nothing we can do about that, but it would be nice to be a little more lenient because of it.