Changing height scale?

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
z400jt
Team: Privateer

Changing height scale?

Post by z400jt »

Alright, I've spent some time looking around on the forum and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. If I missed it sorry for repeating a question.

Is there anyway to change the height scale? Like right now I have to use a 1-10 opacity level form photoshop and that makes it tough to get the detail I want out of my terrain.png. Is there anyway to make it so that I can use higher opacity levels and just adjust the scale in the editor?
DJ99X

Re: Changing height scale?

Post by DJ99X »

Check out this

http://www.mxsimulator.com/editing.html

This is the part you want-

blank/terrain.hf
Text file that defines the height field size and resolution. The format is "[dimension] [resolution] [lowest point] [highest point]". For example, a height field that is 1025x1025, with 2 feet between each point, with a low point of 0 and a high point of 500, would be defined like this: "9 2.0 0.0 500.0".
z400jt

Post by z400jt »

SWEET! Thanks man, I figured it was something in that file but I just wasn't sure what numbers did what.
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

What does the "dimension" do? Could somebody please explain the dimension to me?
Thanks
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Thats for the size of the terain image. Say that number is n, then the 'dimension' of the image has to be (2^n)+1

So, as the stock number is 9, (2^9)+1=1025, the dimensions of the image must be 1025x1025 (includes terrain.png, shading.ppm)
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Does this mean that a track scale of 11 would be a very high def track? The terrain image would be at 2049 X 2049. What else would you have to change? Would the game be able to handle it?
gordy

Post by gordy »

no, the "definition" of the track relies on two things, the tilesize(which acts as a multiplier of sorts) and the dimensions.
the standard settings of 9 and 2 mean that each pixel on the disp map represents 2 feet, and thus the map size is 2x1050, or 2050 (although i think it may compress to 2048 in the game?).
to create a high definition map within the game, you have to reduce the multiplier and, depending on your desired mapsize, upsize or keep constant the size of the disp.
For my indianapolis sx replica, for example, i used the stock disp size of 1025, but reduced the multiplier to 0.7, thus each pixel represented a smaller portion of the actual map, and it was possible to use much smaller ruts than usually possible.
instupitious.
yomo

Post by yomo »

z400jt wrote:Alright, I've spent some time looking around on the forum and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. If I missed it sorry for repeating a question.

Is there anyway to change the height scale? Like right now I have to use a 1-10 opacity level form photoshop and that makes it tough to get the detail I want out of my terrain.png. Is there anyway to make it so that I can use higher opacity levels and just adjust the scale in the editor?

So to be-able to use opacity 50 - 70, would i reduce the maximum height to say 200?
Does that effect anything if i want to put in a stadium later on that is higher than the maximum height?
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

its a statue it has nothing to do with the terrain
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
yomo

Post by yomo »

ok cool...

i thought the terrain.hf was like a "3d box" and everything had to be inside the box

thanks