Suggestions for Mx Sim Editor

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
Motoboss

Suggestions for Mx Sim Editor

Post by Motoboss »

1. First and foremost please make it where we can paint the dismap in PS ....I was talking with Wingman and we both unanimously agree that tracks would be so much more detailed if it were this way.
2. It would be nice if there were other brushes besides circles maybe squares and different shapes to choose from
3. Shadows if we could change shadow direction by moving the sun direction and even do the shadows in a different program... This would also make the tracks much more detailed.
4. The smoothing tool shouldn't make the track slick every time I try to smooth something out it is as slick as ice when i ride on it.
5 It would be nice to have a height scale and terrain scale that you could adjust easily in the editor.

I'm sure Ill think of more just wanted to get this Rolling.

I know some of you wont agree with me but I have been making tracks for a long time and when I tell my thoughts on this subject you should believe I wouldn't suggest these things unless I knew they would benefit everyone.
With the things I ask.. the difference in track Quality would be outstanding
Dont get me wrong I like the Sim editor in some ways its really great to use.

Thanks
Motoboss
Appreciate my hard work? Buy me a beer,
https://www.paypal.me/Motoboss
Check out my Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR5gAn ... z59ykqiKyA
Garasaki

Re: Suggestions for Mx Sim Editor

Post by Garasaki »

Motoboss wrote:1. First and foremost please make it where we can paint the dismap in PS ....I was talking with Wingman and we both unanimously agree that tracks would be so much more detailed if it were this way.
Do you mean create textures outside of the editor or do you mean create a disp map outside of the editor. Because you can make your disp map outside the editor.
Motoboss wrote: 3. Shadows if we could change shadow direction by moving the sun direction and even do the shadows in a different program... This would also make the tracks much more detailed.
You can edit/create the shadow file in photoshop. I am not sure anyone (else) has really explored this yet. I don't really know if it improves the shadows or not, but I suspect it does. I believe you can also define the sun location in one of the track config files.
Motoboss wrote:5 It would be nice to have a height scale and terrain scale that you could adjust easily in the editor.
I agree with this for sure. It is adjustable now thru the track config file thing but that means you have to close and open the game each time you want to tweak it (right? or am I missing something) which is very annoying.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
Motoboss

Post by Motoboss »

Yep I meant for Textures I know about the dismap Ive done it many times I dont make my dismaps in PS but I do do some things IMO it is way easier to do in the editor and with the MVA editor I could do just as good quality if not better because I didnt have to do extra steps just to test it
As for shadows even if there is a file somewhere for it It shouldnt be that difficult to adjust IMO
wakestyle21

Post by wakestyle21 »

I think the way the shadows are done now is really good. As far as i know you can just render shadows in an external program and just put the generated image in your track folder and name it shading.png. I don't know how this could be any easier.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Motoboss wrote:1. First and foremost please make it where we can paint the dismap in PS ....I was talking with Wingman and we both unanimously agree that tracks would be so much more detailed if it were this way.
I was thinking that it would be nice to have a button to auto update the disp while the game was still running. I mean like if you put the game in windowed mode, jumped into ps real quick and updated the disp, then you could go back into the game without closing it and hit a little button that updated the disp.

I have thought this before, and I will say it again, I strongly believe that this game would benefit greatly from a separate editor. One that gives more and better options for object placement, a 3d viewport to easily navigate the track, realtime updating of decal files and disp files, and an easy to use gui.
FactoryBR21
Team: Privateer

Post by FactoryBR21 »

Yeap , i agree and isn't fun make a track in PS , you need open game and the folder evertime
You Got tired ! I agree about the import buttons but i like the textures's way....
Mbutler183 wrote:I remember when we had to play mva instead of mxs, what a load of shit that was.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

The decals system I think is the way to go it seems. The level of detail obtainable is amazing, just untouched so far. We just need a better means of using all the editing options.
Motoboss

Post by Motoboss »

I could deal with everthing else but My main concern is painting the dismap in PS
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

i personally could never ever make a texture to cover my whole track i am just learning to make the lil squares telling me the whole track is the square just inst gunna happen
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

Motoboss wrote:I could deal with everthing else but My main concern is painting the dismap in PS
You can paint the disp in ps. Just make a new template sized 1025 x 1025 and then save your final as terrain.png in your track folder. Just make a note that any changes you make in game, and then save, will change your disp map colors that you made in ps. After saving, the game always reverts your disps "lowest" color to black, even if it was gray. When doing this it also changes your terrain.hf file. This is really annoying imo but it still happens. It's kind of hard to explain right, but if you have questions about it ask me on msn.
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

He wants to make textures in photoshop.

I'm not sure why he keeps using the phrase "paint a disp map in PS" but it is confusing.

He knows you can create a disp in PS. He wants to create textures in PS too.

I think it'd be neat to do both. :wink:
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
ddmx

Post by ddmx »

There is a technique I've been experimenting with that combines ideas from mva and mxs as far as texture painting. Goardy pioneered this idea which he is using on Donington, and I'm sure Lakewood. There are of course at least a couple of things you can do to allow this also style. I'll upload a pic showing what you could do.
FactoryBR21
Team: Privateer

Post by FactoryBR21 »

I want learn this way too , i'm noot good with decals
Mbutler183 wrote:I remember when we had to play mva instead of mxs, what a load of shit that was.
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

An "update displacement" button inside the editor would be incredibly helpful.

It is also frustrating have to paint over my track everytime I bring it in to update the shadows, it makes making even minor changes a very long and tedious process. It's also annoying when testing a track having to wait for the gate to drop every time. This process could be cut in half.

Current Process: (from testing to making a change to test again)
Exit to main menu
Close game
Open Photoshop (or atleast bring it back up)
Make changes
Save PSD
Save PNG
Open MXS
Select New race
Select Track
Paint over track to update shadows
Wait for the gate to drop
Test.
-----
It should be:
Open PS
Make Changes
Save PSD
Save PNG
Update Disp
Test
wakestyle21

Post by wakestyle21 »

Checkerz448 wrote:It's also annoying when testing a track having to wait for the gate to drop every time
You can use time trial mode to get around this. This method is actually very efficient I have found. You can place the second to last timing gate right before the section you are working on then all you have to do it press the "back up" button while testing to reset yourself and keep testing the section over and over.