Disp Complexity

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Disp Complexity

Post by yzmxer608 »

Here's a question I've been thinking about. When disp maps are more complex (lots of small random hills/bumps for instance) why is that harder on your hardware (drop fps)? Does this happen with all games that render terrain? I just thought that the disp map is loaded and that's it.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Disp Complexity

Post by jlv »

A 1025x1025 map would use over 2,000,000 triangles if not optimized. MX Sim, like any good terrain engine, uses less geometry for flat terrain.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

So the game actually changes the geometry of the track depending on how complex it is? That's pretty cool, I just noticed a big fps hit if there is a track with lots of ruts for example. Is this how the terrain geometry graphics adjustment can be used?
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Yes. The terrain geometry setting controls how far out of the plane (in screen space) a vertex can be before that triangle is subdivided.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.