Supercross Track Comp - Discussion

All about making tracks for MX Simulator
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Re: Supercross Track Comp - Discussion

Post by checkerz »

Eliminate preview pictures, and tracks can be released without names being tied to them easily.
motoxlova#1
Team: Free lancer

Post by motoxlova#1 »

Such as like
Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
So on so on....?
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Yeah I guess so. It will be so hard not to post preview pics though :lol:

But yeah, it will be quite easy to tell who made what. And the track maker is obviously going to show at least one person their track. But if thats what you guys want.
Voutare wrote:Looking forward to this contest.

But I think being able to ride the track without a substantial amount of wrecks should be huge on the voting. Because there are some tracks which I can't do a lap on (honda test track), and it might look amazing and ultra realistic but it's harder than hell, thus making me not even want to bother playing it.
That would come under the category of Build Quality. If its hard to play, obviously it will recieve a lower score in this department. Although, this might also come under the categorie of track design. Regardless, people have the choice to mark it down if they cant ride it properly.
Wings
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Wings »

Also no vote for yourself..
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

How are track creators going to vote? If they leave a vote out for their track people will know which track is their's.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

I still think there should be preview pictures. However, let JLV or DJ make the previews so that each track has a similar picture. The picture can have the track name in it, but just leave the creator's name out of it.

As far as voting goes, maybe JLV can set up something on the site for voting anonymously. We should have to enter in our reg keys, which will allow only one vote per person. Kind of similar to how JLV's official track contest voting was done.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

I don't see why it's so important to have anymous (sp?) entries. If people are pissed off at you, then you should have to deal with the consequences. That's just part of life.

You are going to severly overcomplicate things in order to keep tracks nameless. It's not like we are competing for huge sums of money or some other prize. The main goal is to get quality tracks and motivate track makers. Eliminating or complicating preview pics is probably going to demotivate creators....
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
checkerz

Post by checkerz »

How about THIS idea. In order to enter the Tournament Race that is sure to follow the track contest, you have to judge the tracks to sign up for entry. Absolute BS how many people couldn't take 15 minutes to vote on the outdoor competition.
Voutare
Team: Privateer

Post by Voutare »

dxb_checkerz wrote:How about THIS idea. In order to enter the Tournament Race that is sure to follow the track contest, you have to judge the tracks to sign up for entry. Absolute BS how many people couldn't take 15 minutes to vote on the outdoor competition.
Agree 100%. And I agree with Garsaki in a way, with how the voting works, but it works both ways. Some people want to ride a certain creators dick for whatever reasons, etc.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

OK, I might get this comp started this weekend. Here is the outline of how it will go down, based on what has been discussed in this thread. Let me know if you think something should be changed (especially regarding the due date). I'll officially post it tomorrow.

Tracks must be sent to me by:

Tracks must meet the following restrictions:
  • Tracks must be Supercross tracks.
  • SX tracks can be set at any time of day
  • Tracks don't have to be in a stadium
  • Average lap times must be between 40 seconds and 1 Minute 30 seconds.
  • Tracks can be created by teams of any size.
  • Individuals may only work on one track (of course, minor help can still be given by individuals)
  • Tracks cannot be replicas. This comp is based on creativity
  • Tracks must not by made on natural terrain. It must be completely "man-made". Of course, off-track can be any sort of terrain.
  • Previously started tracks cannot be entered (I cant really stop you from doing this. But if I've seen the track before, I will not accept it)
  • Displacement map resolution can be up to a maximum of 1025 x 1025 pixels
  • Supercross tracks must be realistic. Ie, no 5th gear jumps etc. If your unsure your track fits this criteria, contact me.
  • Model Geometric Detail must be less than 50000 (I will subtract ~10000 from whatever reading I get riding my YZF)
  • If you use anything from a previously released track, please get permission to use it (like DDMX's stadium, yFMX's sky etc.)
  • Tracks will not be released anonymously. Feel free to post preview pics
Voting

The official method of voting is yet to be decided. But voting will be weighted in the following manner:

Design: 33.3% - This includes: Layout of the track, realism, fun factor.
Build Quality: 33.3% - This includes: How well the jumps, whoops and berms were made. Ie, dont make the jumps kick you, make the whoops do-able, make the corners catch you. Look at JLV's SX tracks for inspiration.
Visuals: 33.3% - This includes: How well the track looks overall (textures, objects, environment etc)
FehertyRacing

Post by FehertyRacing »

them rules sound good theres just two things i thinku should change?

but i might be wrong here as i have no idea how long it takes to make a track anyway but
really do u guys need till december?!?!

also Dj i think it should be man made.. i would love the idea of a Supercross track in a back yard but has alike a little up hill section etc etc
Sponsor's: Ds Ducts, Event Photos, Comp MX, Muk Junkie

Red Bull Kawasaki
FehertyRacing, NickMX,Z400JT
checkerz

Post by checkerz »

It's on like donkey kong. Rules look good.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Sounds good, is the geo detail taken at 20 in-game like before?
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
iceman967
Team: Aggressive Graphix

Post by iceman967 »

to level out the playing field even more, what about setting the terrain.hf to all the same specs?
"Just don't lose... ever" (James "bubba" Stewart-The Great Outdoors: A Constant War)
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

I am in for this...hopefully I can find the time...I may need someone to help with textures and shading though (looks around)