MX Jones: The REVENGE

Post your tracks here
Forum rules
If your topic doesn't contain a track link, this is the wrong place to post it.
Garasaki

MX Jones: The REVENGE

Post by Garasaki »

http://puremxs.com/Tracks/TrackViewer.aspx?TrackID=189

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?5gfoybek4uyzqwz

4 years ago, I sat down to start work on a track for the Rainbow Studio's Track Contest for MvA. I decided to bring the darkest and most sinister track making idea's I had rolling around in the back of my mind to life. I wanted something difficult, technical, different, and unexpected.

I was rewarded with my efforts by placing...wait for it...2nd...to last!!

This track......is The REVENGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beta feedback was unanimous:

This track is too rough
This track is too confusing
This track is too hard

Do you think you can survive MX Jones:The REVENGE ?????????

Thanks to DJ for tons of help. Seriously - thanks man!!!!!! Thanks to DDMX for some object help. Thanks to JLV for some troubleshooting. Oh, and making the game.

Put the J,O,N,E,S saf files in your personal folder.

PS - I added a few things that I hope will decrease the frustration level, increase the fun level, and help you learn the track layout all at the same time (or perhaps it would be better to say, all at different times!).

Use the link at the top of this post to download the track. Clicking on the puremxs download track button will allow you to download 2 demo's I did - not great riding, but it might help you learn the track layout and show you my lines.
Last edited by Garasaki on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
Garasaki

Re: MX Jones: The REVENGE

Post by Garasaki »

Track pic, for the visual learners out there :wink:
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
MX196
Team: Privateer

Post by MX196 »

Wow. 115MB. Looks fun! Cant wait to try it!
mxbiker
Team: FSK

Post by mxbiker »

the name is even better now, since hes been perma banned
Proud MXS member since 2008
Still a MXS 125CC rider!
2011 SMA nationals championships leader
5th at the GP replica series 2011
3th overall with team Holland at the MXSON 2010
mxbiker

Post by mxbiker »

the name is even better now, since hes been perma banned
Still a MXS 125CC rider!
MX196

Post by MX196 »

I love this track!
Everything 5* except realism. Its 4*. Wher do you jump over rocks in real life? Really fun though. Worth the wait!

I like all 5 tracks. My favorate is The REVENGE!
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

Just to clarify, I started working on the track 4 years ago, and Jones has only been around a year or 2, so obviously I didn't name the track after permabanned Jones :roll:
MX196

Post by MX196 »

Almost as long as the games been out. Wow.
jw4duke#19

Post by jw4duke#19 »

i like them all
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

I'll start with the disp. A lot of the sections seemed kind of random, like there isn't any good way to get through them or an intended way- just a bunch of weird place bumps or small elevation changes. A few of the faces of jumps are kind of peaky, or start abruptly, but on the other hand there are some faces that are giant. I didn't like the rock jumps, they would have been fine if they were just filled in (I'm one of the guys that really likes realistic tracks). It's definitely a disp that has to grow on you.

Track was wide in some places, where I can't see it benefiting the racing at all. In some corners wide can be good but on a straight with jumps in it, it makes riding it feel awkward. Atmosphere was great, it really shows what can be done with skies and lighting. Textures seemed good, I'm using onboard graphics right now though so I can't see them in their actual level of detail.

Objects were pretty good, a few places could have been marked better (the angled rock jump in the back section, I couldn't figure that section out first lap). The different races or layouts were a good idea, but they take away from the actual main track to me. Maybe just one other variation but 4 is a little much. I would say out of all of the variations the West Loop is my favorite. The starts on those were really weird though, I went backwards on the track on 2 of them (had to look at the timing gates to see where to go in some places).

This track, like Pottawattamie, is a track that has to grow on you. Once you figure out the lines and remember where the track goes I think it'll be a lot more fun. It's frustrating the first few laps though. Overall it's a great package, just a few things could have made it better to me.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
toonys66

Post by toonys66 »

wow, so much work on these tracks!! but the result is really nice!! a mix between mx and enduro!! i like it!!!
it s a track perfect for beginner.... :lol: just joking!quite tough track but fun!! wow so many line.... really nice work and great track!! lot of fun coming on !!!
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

yzmxer608 wrote:The starts on those were really weird though, I went backwards on the track on 2 of them (had to look at the timing gates to see where to go in some places).
Yes, looking back, I definately agree that making wholesale changes to the starts was a mistake.

At the time, I think I decided I had to change 1 of them to fit a new layout, then was like "4 tracks with the same start is going to be boring, lets have each one with a different start!!". The result is added confusion that dosen't really add to the experience of the track. Some really nice custom objects might have helped alleviate that issue, but that would have added months into the timeline and I just didn't have that in me.

Since you only ride the start once per race, it's just too hard to learn the different start routes. I actually have trouble myself knowing which was to go off the starts :roll:

If I could do it over again, I would change the starts on the variants to be pretty much the same as The REVENGE.
mxbiker

Post by mxbiker »

Garasaki wrote:Just to clarify, I started working on the track 4 years ago, and Jones has only been around a year or 2, so obviously I didn't name the track after permabanned Jones :roll:
yeah i know that, i just find it funny :P
Still a MXS 125CC rider!
jasper125

Post by jasper125 »

they pictures look great i wanted to download it but it said damaged or invalid file what to do?
Thanks alot for making this track :D
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

I need atleast 4 hours to play this track before giving it a fair review. Do you plan to put up on PureMXS so we can officially review it?