What MTB Should I Buy?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
RubberBandSnap190
Team: Team??WTF?! haha

What MTB Should I Buy?

Post by RubberBandSnap190 »

Hey, I have seen a few of you guys talking about your mtb stuff, so I know that I am not shooting in the dark here. I have ridden BMX for the past few years, but, after riding a couple of my friends bikes, have decided to get into mtb. It was time for me to either replace my BMX bike as it is pretty much shot. Everywhaere you look there are broken or dysfunctional parts.....anyhow, what mtb would you recommend? I am a ;little on the short and light side, and I want something that I can jump and not ruin, but, on the other hand, be able to go on distance rides.....The most I want to spend would be around $450...What do you guys suggest I buy?
Baboobeats
Team: MXSP

Re: What MTB Should I Buy?

Post by Baboobeats »

RubberBandSnap190

:evil: :roll: +1 ... well played sah, well played indeed... any SERIOUS suggestions, though?
KTM880

Post by KTM880 »

I think you're going to have problems with that budget. Single suspension is the best for jumping but is pretty shit when you get out on the trails.
Are you looking at any brand particularly? I would suggest Specialized, never had problems with my DH rig or my brothers so they are good quality. But they only have two bikes in your price range,http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... e=Mountain and http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC ... e=Mountain first one would be better for dirt jumping though.
The purpose built dirt jumpers are over $1000. There's alot more out there but i don't have the time right now to keep looking. I can help some more when i get home.
MX181 wrote:one of them bop it toys from when I was a child that taught young girls how not to give a hand job?
adhkcrfhonda

Post by adhkcrfhonda »

hate to break it to you, but to find a decent bike for $450 is difficult. it is also near impossible to find a bike that is good on the trails and on dirt jumps.
mace-x
Team: your sister´s fan!

Post by mace-x »

go and buy an used dobermann pinscher if you can, those frames are awesome and comfortable!
Massacre ftw!

the human stupidity and the universe are unlimited, and im not totally sure about the universe...
JNaz642
Team: MotoXAddicts

Post by JNaz642 »

Your not getting shit for that cheap. You better save up and raise that bar and i can help you out a lot ive been racing mountain bikes for a few years
http://mxsimulator.com/servers/allservers/players/2157/

Joseph Nazarak
PA Dutch

6th Place Overall Points In 2014 Race Factory Outdoors Pro 250 Class
KTM880

Post by KTM880 »

For around $1600 you can get a decent dirt jumper.
I'd go for a freeride bike of some sort though. There's plent of good used bikes out there for just over $1000
Jumps: yes
Uphill: yes
Downhill: yes
Road: sorta
MX181 wrote:one of them bop it toys from when I was a child that taught young girls how not to give a hand job?
RubberBandSnap190

Mmkay...well, I have more that I could spend on a MTB, but I simply didn't think that it was gonna cost really too much more...I suppose the most I would spend would be like $800-ish...maybe a little more, but not much.....Thanks for the help though...
Ballsfalsky
Team: Tim Hortons

Post by Ballsfalsky »

If your looking at dirt jumpers, I'd look at a Doberman pinscher or a Dartmoor 2 6 player. Since your budget is somewhat low, I'd check on pinkbike. Lots and lots of bikes on PB.
joe_389
Team: Collective Family

Post by joe_389 »

you'll find that it will be hard to find a really good dirt jumoer that can climb. I race XC for motocross training and also do dirt jumps for fun. I have found that you will be much more succesfull to just buy two bikes. Beacues the erginomics of a DJ bike are no were near that of a XC bike. There also alot heavier. Im talking about long XC rides though like 3 - 6 hours even 12 24 hours. Although if your talking about riding a couple of km's to the DJ's then a normal dirt jump park, just a normal DJ bike will be fine. Also it will be really hard to find a bike for yourself in that price range, that wont break any time that you ride it.
Save for a little longer, sell your bmx. Do something to try and get your price range to around 1000, you will have much more luck finding a good reliable bike.
The brands that i suggest are.
Scott bikes (the have the voltage, completley out of your price range but a good idea on a good cross bike)
Cannondale (great XC bikes, i have a flash 2 29er)
Commencal (good cross bikes)
Rocky Mountain
Morewood

Hope this helps
The Family:Lane 199-Alex 526-Dylan 14-Daniel 421-Brady 21 AUS
marco87
Team: Privateer

Post by marco87 »

Rockrider FR6 2011
About 799,95 €
http://www.btwincycle.com/EN/rockrider- ... 172043638/