helmet painting

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
WhMx179
Team: Privateer

helmet painting

Post by WhMx179 »

I've been wanting to start painting my own helmets for awhile now and i have the perfect test subject, a hjc clx-5n helmet. the only problem? i have little to no idea on what i have to do to begin and i was thinking that maybe id ask some fellow gamers on mx sim. if anyone knows the process, has done it before, or knows where to find a good tutorial and could share that i would much appreciate it.
thanks in advance,

-WestHillmx
hvpunk62

Re: helmet painting

Post by hvpunk62 »

im no pro but id say get everything smooth with like a 220 grit sandpaper and get some plastic primer paint and put multiple coats of clear coat on im also considering doing it as i am cheap and dont feel like buying another helmet and also have a hjc ....ironic :shock:
motoXjunkey

Post by motoXjunkey »

i painted my lid too
but then when i showed people it they said that i probaly shouldent wear it because paint weakens the helmet :? :?
dont know if there is any truth to this, but quite alot of people said that it did
noly opelep atht anc ucfk ylrael gdoo cna dnesrtnuad wtah tshi gesmeas syas
haha
WhMx179

Post by WhMx179 »

i doubt it, if you use the right paint it should be fine
LuKe

Post by LuKe »

yes in some helmets the paint reacts with the plastic and glue in the helmets which weakens them=easier to break
i dont know of any tutorials as such but there are some helpful tips in here
http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.php?t=44607
oh and leatt brace stuff
http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39263
epik

Post by epik »

Hey, Im a painter and can give you some advice. Whenever I do used helmets I will sand them down past the factory applied decal system, useing a mid-heavy grid and a orbital sander, then hit it with a medium grit by hand and prime. I usally use duplicolor high build formula, applied with a spray gun. Then back to the med grit to work out the high spots and thats about it for prep. I also recommend stripin off the rubber, i use a razor blade and take my time and re-glue it on with CA after its finished.

I no longer use eurothane based paints like ppg and house of kolor, I now use Auto Air exclusively (http://www.autoaircolors.com). Auto Air is non-toxic, water-based, and dries in minutes with heat and there is no re-coat or flash times adhear to. Once you work with it for a while and take the time to actually get to know how to use a waterborn paint and you will never go back, its alot cheaper, easier to work with and cleans up with dish soap.

For clear coating I typically use the mid-grade PPG system, its great stuff. Usally 7 coats gets a nice thick glossy layer that covers up all your tape lines and paint layers. Whatver kind of clear you pick up just follow the directions on the can or website, can seem tuff at first but it is alot simpler once you actually do it.

If you want to do it right I reccomend picking up a cheap airbrush, will make the job a million times easier, and dont cheap out on tape use 3M white automotive mask and be sure to pick up a few rolls of fine line tape for laying out your design. Shoot me a pm if you get into it and need some help and be sure to post some pics when you get it done.

Here are a few of my paint jobs, all with auto air:

ddmx

Post by ddmx »

If I wasn't such a poor mother I'd have you custom paint my helmet.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

ddmx488 wrote:If I wasn't such a poor mother I'd have you custom paint my helmet.
X2, i would love to have a Monster Energy "factory" helmet like RC, Hill ir J-Law.
My mate paints helmet and he dose a nice job, when i go to his house next ill have to take some pics of his but the only problem is that when he paints them he kinda wrecks them 1 ride after lol
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
WhMx179

Post by WhMx179 »

woah, big thanks for the post epik. definatley you know what to do, ill be sure to go to you if i need help thanks alot dude! :D