Medically Minded People, please read

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Dank_Vapours

Medically Minded People, please read

Post by Dank_Vapours »

Okay, so here are the symptoms: All of them cleared up within an hour and a half of initial onset, except nausea.
numbness in left hand, lips and tongue, (first symptoms)
nausea,
dizziness,
tunnel vision,
shakey/weak muscles
general tiredness,
throbbing headache (centred above right eye)

Other information: no additional medication, 18 years of age, fit and healthy. Symptoms immediately preceded by 15 minute sprint mountain bike ride; very little sleep the night before, but eaten well. Had drunk 3 bottles of glucosade before.

Any ideas people?

"the only disadvantage on a two stroke would be between the seat and handlebars. the rider...

that usually is the case."
ShackAttack12

Re: Medically Minded People, please read

Post by ShackAttack12 »

You sure you were hydrated enough before the workout?
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
die996
Crushed Dissenter
Team: Privateer

Post by die996 »

My 2 possibilities :

· A : you're not that fit. I'm used to make 3h long non-stop mountain bike rides with my heartrate usually well over 120bpm and I tend to drink very little. Most people say I'm nuts and that I'll faint one day or another but right now I can cover over 30 miles with no problem at all

· B : you don't know how to control your rythmn. Are you the kind of person that doesn't know how to slow down his own heartrate?? Most people can't and if you're going to make extreme physical efforts you need that

Btw, my last ride was Ripollet (270ft above sea) - St. Llorenç Savall (1600ft above sea) - Ripollet, about 36 miles long non-stop in less than 3h 40'. I have to admit I'm no superhuman and the 2nd half of the ride wasn't as easy as it may seem since I took quite a different route. The first half was 21 miles long and it was a constant slope next to a river, the 2nd half was like 5-8 miles flat, then some big downhill and then next to the river again. That was made with only 0.4 gallons of water and I think I have to buy me some 0.5 gallon-size camelback
Howcanyoubesofuckingdumbthatyou'rereadingthis??
BuddyTheElf

Post by BuddyTheElf »

Whats glucosade? Is it a good idea to be drinking 3 bottles of it?

Also if you dont have a good base level of fitness then sprints will be really tough. Lack of sleep definitely isnt something you want if you are going to be doing hard exercise like that either.
stevoktm

Post by stevoktm »

Dank_Vapours wrote:Okay, so here are the symptoms: All of them cleared up within an hour and a half of initial onset, except nausea.
numbness in left hand, lips and tongue, (first symptoms)
nausea,
dizziness,
tunnel vision,
shakey/weak muscles
general tiredness,
throbbing headache (centred above right eye)

Other information: no additional medication, 18 years of age, fit and healthy. Symptoms immediately preceded by 15 minute sprint mountain bike ride; very little sleep the night before, but eaten well. Had drunk 3 bottles of glucosade before.

Any ideas people?
sounds to me like that shitty glucosade drink. All of the sugar in that will of made you feel sick, im pretty sure those drinks are only meant to be used once all of your primary energy resources have been used up. The headache and dizziness sounds like dehydration from not drinking enough prior to the excercise, did you drink any water before or was it all glucosade drinks?
Dank_Vapours

Post by Dank_Vapours »

Believe me, i'm fit enough that my heart rate isn't concerning, although i'd be interested to hear how to slow your heart down... I know holding your breath does it, but that doesn't seem like a great idea when you're trying to get rid off any lactic acid build up. Anything up to... 200bpm is considered safe during excersize for an 18 year old. I think i'll go with the drinks... i was drinking it because i liked the taste btw, not because i'm some sort of believer in advertising xD about "extreme sport performance". But i suppose there was a fuck lot of sugar and caffiene in them.

I just find it really strange that i had this last year, without the drinks/excersise. The only common factor was about 5-6 hours sleep, although the night before last i had 12 hours so i felt well-rested and non-tired when i first woke up. Blood/urine tests came back fine, EEG and ECG were fine; But the symptoms make for a seriously disturbing and uncomfortable day.

Cheers for the thoughts gentlemen, thanks.

"the only disadvantage on a two stroke would be between the seat and handlebars. the rider...

scheeve3

Post by scheeve3 »

Holding your breath to let your heartbeat go down is the most dangerous thing you can do. Because you hart will go in saftey mode first because it doesn't get enough air. And the moment you start taking a breath again it starts to work in overdrive to get that air back into the muscles.
The best thing you can do is taking deep breaths trough your nose, if not possible is a mouth also ok, and lay down well streched out or stand up with your arms above your head so you're standing up well streched out.
But that streching out isn't as easy as it sounds. When you're tired the last thing you're going to do is try to extend yourself. 100% of the ppl has the reflex to put their hands on their legs and rest like that. Like this.
But that make's the area of you chest a bit smaller.

And if you don't want to be stiff the next day you can put your arms into the air and walk around. So your muscles doesn't do an instant stop.
Frederik Van Eeckhoven - UID 326
1st Team @ MXSON 2009 & 2nd individual (125cc)
2012 DRT-Sandseries winner (MX1)
2012 DRT-spring SX series winner (OPEN)
2012 BMF-Friday night series winner (MX1)
Dank_Vapours

Post by Dank_Vapours »

Well, i've had a very pleasant nap, and i'm feeling much much much better. Headache comes back with a vengeance if i move my head sharply, or just going down stairs for that matter.

And cheers Scheeve3, you learn something new everyday; and no, i didnt think holding ones breath would be a good idea ha ha.

ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

Dank_Vapours wrote:Believe me, i'm fit enough that my heart rate isn't concerning, although i'd be interested to hear how to slow your heart down... I know holding your breath does it, but that doesn't seem like a great idea when you're trying to get rid off any lactic acid build up. Anything up to... 200bpm is considered safe during excersize for an 18 year old. I think i'll go with the drinks... i was drinking it because i liked the taste btw, not because i'm some sort of believer in advertising xD about "extreme sport performance". But i suppose there was a fuck lot of sugar and caffiene in them.

I just find it really strange that i had this last year, without the drinks/excersise. The only common factor was about 5-6 hours sleep, although the night before last i had 12 hours so i felt well-rested and non-tired when i first woke up. Blood/urine tests came back fine, EEG and ECG were fine; But the symptoms make for a seriously disturbing and uncomfortable day.

Cheers for the thoughts gentlemen, thanks.
The same feeling you get from not having enough sleep can occur after sleeping for too long. IE, if you got 5-6 hours of sleep but really need 8-9, then you probably felt nauseous due to lack of sleep. So make sure you are getting enough rest. How much rest is enough rest? Whatever the average, uninterrupted amount of sleep over the course of a few days you get throughout the night after waking up naturally.

I think your problems are more due to your diet and hydration.

Caffeine before a workout is fine, and can actually be beneficial. So no worries there.

However, sugar before a workout is an absolute NO NO. Consuming simple sugars that are found in energy drinks and candy (etc) an hour or so before a workout can actually lower your blood sugar. The effects of low blood sugar include reduced energy, headaches, nausea, and cognitive distortion. These effects are pronounced during and after exercise because your blood sugar drops even lower as your body uses sugar in the blood for energy.

Guess what the symptoms of dehydration are? Pretty much the same as low blood sugar. You need to drink lots of water every day. Let's put it this way.... If your urine is golden yellow or yellow, you haven't consumed enough water. If you feel thirsty, your body is telling you that you are dehydrated. Your urine should be anywhere from PALE YELLOW to CLEAR if you are properly hydrated. Also, if you are properly hydrated and your kidneys are functioning properly, you will urinate 4 or more times a day. Having a travel water bottle is a great way to stay hydrated.

One more thing. If you think you are dehydrated, think about how you feel overall. Probably a little weak, might have a slight headache, probably have low energy and you probably feel a little lazy. Once you are hydrated, compare how you now feel. It's quite amazing that being properly hydrated makes you feel like you
ShackAttack12
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

It's quite amazing that being properly hydrated makes you feel like you have just consumed lots of caffeine. I've gotten to the point sometimes where drinking water gives me more energy than a cup of coffee.
ShackAttack12
rideblue56
Team: FSK

Post by rideblue56 »

I know im a few days late, but thanks a lot for that info, Shack and Scheeve. Im sure it'll be pretty damn useful.
stocksy129

Post by stocksy129 »

this is pretty off topic... But seeing we're on this kinda subject, any one know why my resting heart beat is so low? it's 38-48 it can be between there... Also, when i do exercise and my hear rate goes up i.e running riding etc, i can't breathe almost instantly and it fucking sucks cause i'm not tired just feels like i'm not getting any oxygen.

and i know the heart rate is very low that's why i'm asking about it
Anarch
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Anarch »

Stocksy I thinks its normal, same thing happens to me when I workout. Like when I am lifting, I can hear everything around me much loder then normal.
Anarch
Crushed Dissenter

Post by Anarch »

louder*. And it is hard to breath too.
brent26
Team: OverTheEdge

Post by brent26 »

I piss like 10 times a day. Then again, i drink too much water.