How To Clean And Speed Up Your Computer

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

How To Clean And Speed Up Your Computer

Post by yzmxer608 »

A lot of people have noticed that their computer doesn't run quite as fast as it once did. A lot of people also don't know the many things you can do to speed your PC back up again. This is a guide that will show you some of the things you can do. While pretty much everything won't harm your PC, there is always a slight chance of something going wrong. Therefore, proceed at your own risk and use caution, only do what you feel comftorable with. Mx Simulator, it's staff, and I are not liable for any damage caused to your computer while using any of these techniques, continue at your own risk. Note: All steps described will be Vista specific, everything can still be done on Windows XP but certain directories or paths might change slightly.

Step One- Clear out the junk!
  • Inside your computer case, there are multiple fans that circulate air around to cool down the components. These fans can bring in dust that clog air holes and reduce airflow. Heat is a PC's enemy, it can cause your computer to slow down, and even burn out parts.
  • To get the dust out, take off the side of your case. Try to use a can of compressed air and blow out all of the air holes and fans (do your best to blow the dust out of the case so it doesn't blow around in the case). Try to only blow air on the holes in the case that allow air through, and the fans, keep away from the other components because the air can cause damage to them.
  • Over time you download files or create documents and you tend to forget about them. Go through all of your files and folders in your documents and delete old or uneeded things. I suggest also going into other places that you use quite often, such as a game folder where you add files over time.
  • When you go to certain sites, some of their parts use the Adobe Flash player to work. All of these sites and their settings are stored on your computer. To get rid of these settings, go to the Adobe Flash Player Storage Settings page and click "Delete all sites".
Step Two- Organization:
  • Once you have deleted unecessary files from your computer, it is best to organize your files and folders so you know where everything is and won't have to search through tons of places to find what you are looking for.
  • I also suggest to zip or rar files that you don't use often, such as a photo album, to save space on your hard drive.
Step Three- Get Rid of Hiding Files:
  • When you went through and deleted files manually, you didn't catch everything that is built up over time. There are still interent files and various other files that are kept in off-the-beaten-path places of your computer.
  • I suggest using CCleaner. It is a program that will delete these hiding files for you. There are multiple options in the Cleaner tab. Choose what you want and then Run Cleaner. You can also cleanup your registry. Again, choose the options you want and then Fix Selected Issues. CCleaner will make a backup of your registry for you in case something goes wrong.
  • There are other good registry cleaners too, a second one that I normally use is Auslogics Registry Cleaner. It seems to be more in-depth than CCleaner, can can find more problems. Just be careful with what you select to clean, make sure to read the descriptions for each cleaning variable.
Step Four- Boot Up:
  • Over time, your computer may start to boot up slow. Part of this is due to lots of programs starting when windows starts.
  • To view these programs, start the Command Prompt (Start\All Programs\Accessories\Command Prompt) and type "msconfig" (Without quotes). Press Enter. In the new window, click on the Startup tab. Now you can see all of the programs that start when Windows start (The enabled ones will have a check next to them). To disable programs, uncheck their box, then click apply. You can now close out of the window.
Step Five- Check The Disks:
  • Your hard disks (hard drives) can develop errors. To fix these errors go to My Computer, right click the C drive (or any drive you want to check) and go down to Properties. Now click on the Tools tab and under Error-checking click "Check Now..." I reccomend checking both the "Automatically fix file system errors" and the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Click Start, it will probably tell you the disk can't be checked because it's in use. It will ask you to schedule a disk check next time you restart, allow it to. Now restart your computer to allow the disk checks.
  • Note: this will take some time, if you have to, do it overnight (amount of time will change for disk check depending on how large your drives are, and how many files you have on them).
Step Six- Malware, Virus', and Spyware:
  • As many of you know, your computer can catch nasty things while you are on the internet.
  • If you haven't already, get a good anti-malware program. A good one is Malwarebytes' Anit-Malware. It is freeware that will search your computer (even the registry) for malware, if it finds any, it will quarantine it and ask you to delete it.
  • You should also have an AntiVirus program that scans and protects your computer from viruses (A good free AntiVirus
    program is AVG Anti-Virus Free Editon. Make sure to do a complete scan. Another good free program is Microsoft Security Essentials.
  • Also do a complete AntiSpyware scan (A good free AntiSpyware program is Ad-Aware Free.
  • Note: While the free programs are pretty good, they are not as good as the reatail versions, if you want maximum security, you should buy a higher end version.
Step Seven- Defrag The Hard Drives:
  • Over time your hard drive can become defragmented (If you don't know what this means, this is a good guide that explains it in simple terms). By defragmenting the hard drive, it can become faster.
  • Go to Start\All Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Disk Defragmenter. This will also take a while, so be patient.
  • If you are an advanced user, you can use 3rd party programs to defrag your hard drives. Some let you choose what files you want to defrag. If you have Vista, you will notice there is no progress bar for the built-in defragger, most 3rd party defraggers have progress bars. I recommend Defraggler
Step Eight- Defrag The Registry:
  • Just like you can defrag the hard drives, you can also defrag the registry.
  • A good program to do this is Auslogics Registry Defrag. This is a free program that will defrag the registry for you.
Step Nine- Updates:
  • You should also update your programs as well as Windows itself. Use Windows Update to update your Operating System.
  • Also update your graphics card drivers. You can do this by going to your graphic card manufacturers website (To find what graphics card you have, go to Control Panel and click on the Device Manager. In the new window, expand the Display Adapter tab). You can also update them by right clicking on them in the Device Manager and selecting "Update Driver Software"
  • Make sure to also get the latest version of your security programs, as updated info will help stop new threats.
Step Ten- Back It up!
  • Now that you have your computer running in a fast junk-free state, it's time to backup your files so if something goes wrong later down the rode, you will have a nice place to start back from.
  • Go to Control Panel, and then the Backup and Restore Center. Under Backup files click "Back up files" and follow the onscreen instructions.
Other Information:
This is only a simple guide that shows the basic ways how to clean up and get your computer running faster. There are tons of more ways to get your PC running faster, but there are too many to list here and they become more advance. If you have Windows Vista, this is a great guide on other ways how to speed up your system. If you have Windows XP this is an extensive guide to help speed your system up.

Here are some other various PC guides that are worth a read or two. Thanks to Shadow for posting them. System Tweakguides.

If you have any questions or things to add, feel free to reply.
Last edited by yzmxer608 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
adhkcrfhonda

Re: How To Clean And Speed Up Your Computer

Post by adhkcrfhonda »

sweet this will help me someday, but my comp is running good now. but why not clean it up before it gets bad
enzopersson
Team: Privateer

Post by enzopersson »

Put in this one to. Auslogics boostspeed
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

I will look into it. I don't want to post a program that I haven't tried to see how it works. Thanks for the suggestion :).

Edit: I just noticed it's $29 USD, I don't want to pay for a program just to see how it is, sorry.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
RV3

Post by RV3 »

cheers mate, i needed this badly! took 5 mins plus to get on the 02 server or any race with more than 7 people, plus i had 95 percent of my memory used lol.
Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

I propose these guides to be added up there.

http://www.tweakguides.com/System.html
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Thanks, I added them in and changed a few other things.
RaNDoM HeRO

Post by RaNDoM HeRO »

this post is so i can subscribe and find it easier.. :oops:
yzmxer608

Post by yzmxer608 »

Or you can look in the OT Announcements area ;).
RaNDoM HeRO

Post by RaNDoM HeRO »

haha well i knew it was somewhere easy to be found but whenever i need it i cant remember where its at
Images381

Post by Images381 »

should also add Advanced System Care free edition to the list and tell everyone to run it everyday after booting up it removed quite a few spyware/trojans for me and it also defrags for you
DJ wrote: That top creators list is rooted. Don't even take notice of it. I'm not even on the darn thing.
motox124
Team: Cernics

Post by motox124 »

ok i dont know whats going on with my computer but i only had it a year and i have 0 space left in my hard drive and i didnt add anything... one day i turned on my computer and i had around 90gb free and i DIDNT add a thing all i did was play mxs and i had 0 free space.. whats going on????