Retro-Game Discussion

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Re: Retro-Game Discussion

Post by jlv »

Funny that the turbo button lasted as long as it did. Did anything actually need to run with turbo off at 8 MHz?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Loved it when I would show that button to someone and they didn't know it was real! "Turbo?!?!? Really???!!?! I thought it was just a joke!" Did you ever get cover disks full of demos etc. that came with mags? Full programs sometimes. I wonder how many 1.44mb disks/sec it is on a fast download these days. Web based eliminates the need, I guess. There's a hack for ya, a d/l meter that can read in floppies/sec! You could select between 5-1/4" SD or DD and same with 3-1/2". What about the 8" floppy? In '87, my boss programmed his lathes with a Nova with a 10mb HDD that clacked like a Harley gearbox and also used those giant floppies. Almost round green-screen too. Wow.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

Oh man the nostalgia trip from this thread is endless! Used to play Stunts! and 4D sports boxing countless hours when I was a little kid.
Remember the turbo button as well, I think my parents have the PC/case that has the button still in the garage somewhere.

Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
cpt_Slow
Team: Privateer

Post by cpt_Slow »

TeamHavocRacing wrote: |
jlv, check out Super Scramble if you emulate. Until MXS, it was the nit's tits. My only floppy of it corrupted! Had to wait to emulate to get into it any further.
|
I still have my ZX Spectrum version (Tape is clearly superior to floppy since when I last checked it still works perfectly ;) ) I have no idea how this person makes it look so easy, I remember it being impossible to not get a penalty "You went too fast", "You went too slow" etc.

jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

I remember reading the dead tree version of this article 20 years ago! How can it be 20 years already?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
TeamHavocRacing

I remember that moment when I saw my bro-in-law playing Wolfenstein for the first time... :shock: "What IS that?!?!?"
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

My thoughts were, "How do they DO that?" After I saw those games all I could think about was how texture mapping worked. I eventually wrote a pretty fast texture mapping engine but never made anything out of it.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
TeamHavocRacing

That was a quantum leap. I just learned that was the good old wizardry of assembly language. The number of platforms that could run on smoothly is amazing. I was a late adopter, Quake II is where I first fragged/gib'd. id created great games that also doubled as benchmarks. If you could crank their titles, you were pimpin'. The first real lighting.
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

For me at least, it was more that backward mapping (stepping along screen pixels) instead of forward mapping (stepping along texels) hadn't occurred to me. Assembly helps too, but Carmack was actually one of the first game programmers to code mostly in C rather than assembly.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
TeamHavocRacing

You left me in a cloud of heffer-dust back there. I stopped at gamer and any coding I do is only done in G-code. I was once able to get a C-64 to get some cool patterns by typing some lines followed by print\ or sumpin. I have trouble even making tracks. I am Captain Distracto. Just a playa i guess. I just remembered playing Hangman on a Compaq "suitcase" computer with the 5 or 6 inch green screen and 5-1/4" floppies. Still in novelty mode back then.
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

As much as I want to be a part of this I am no where near this old. :lol:

My earliest memory of a PC game was Jazzy JackRabbit, loved 1 and 2 insanely. Beat these games repeatedly.

Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
TeamHavocRacing

A buddy of mine was talking about playing a flight-sim on a Sinclair. That name was being blocked out of my memory by the name Altair.
Check out the rad joystick!
I loved this era of computing, when it was fun to hang out at a Radio Shack.
My neighbor had one of these..."what do you DO with it?!?!?" :lol:
jlv
Site Admin

Post by jlv »

It'd be a pretty tight squeeze to fit a flight sim in 1k!

There's a pretty good article on the 'speccy' here. (That whole blog is pretty cool if you're into adventure game history.)
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
TeamHavocRacing

FREE ON ORIGIN!
Now I can see what the hubbub was about. All-star cast of B listers. :lol:
Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

http://www.myabandonware.com/

Knock yourselves out guys!
They don't go older than 1980 though.
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.