Hard starting bike

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
KTM-Racing-124
Team: Privateer

Hard starting bike

Post by KTM-Racing-124 »

I currently have a 2010 sx250f that will not start
I can spend 2-3 hrs easily just kicking it only to get flame-throwing backfires every 2nd kick :roll:
does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it ?
any reply would be great as at the moment this thing is just a very expensive Lighter :wink:
cmv950

Re: Hard starting bike

Post by cmv950 »

First of all, take apart the carb and see if any of the jets are clogged. This can cause all kinds of problems in ktms, in fact ive had problems with it back when I was on a 4 stroke myself. Just take apart all the jets and clean them out very thoroughly, then put them back and once everything is together again, try starting the bike once more. If it was the problem, than it will start right up or within several kicks usually. If this isn't the problem, get back to me and ill leave some more info. (Ive had this happen on my old bike before and it fixed things immediately )
KTM-Racing-124

Post by KTM-Racing-124 »

will get straight onto it
thanks for the help :D
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

Valves are tight bro.
cmv950

Post by cmv950 »

Phathry25 wrote:Valves are tight bro.
Yup, definetly check this as well, also how old is the piston on it? I'm sure this isn't why but back when I had my 4 stroke KTM if it wasn't something to do with the carb or valves (never had valve trouble on mine to much) than it could also be starting hard because of having an old worn out piston. The ring around it that sits in between the top part of it can wear and cause power and starting issues. Its unlikely, but worth checking as well if you take it apart.
KTM-Racing-124

Post by KTM-Racing-124 »

To be honest I brought it used and never thought to check any of that will have a look as soon as possible
Also is it normal for a hydraulic clutch to not work when bike is cold :?
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

No experience with hydraulic clutches, but it sounds like I needs to be bled.
KTM-Racing-124

Post by KTM-Racing-124 »

Ok will have to get onto that as well.
frederick
Team: Adept

Post by frederick »

KTM-Racing-124 wrote:To be honest I brought it used and never thought to check any of that will have a look as soon as possible
Also is it normal for a hydraulic clutch to not work when bike is cold :?
Depends on how cold the engine is. If you just let it idle for a couple of seconds from a cold start it wont work.
KTM-Racing-124

Post by KTM-Racing-124 »

It's Alive!!!! dug it's first rut of the month 8)
never thought it could have all been caused by that stupid "no tool" fuel mix adjuster must have been knocked out of position in transport :oops:
Anyway thanks again to all that replied :wink:
cmv950

Post by cmv950 »

KTM-Racing-124 wrote:It's Alive!!!! dug it's first rut of the month 8)
never thought it could have all been caused by that stupid "no tool" fuel mix adjuster must have been knocked out of position in transport :oops:
Anyway thanks again to all that replied :wink:
Ha, its always some ridiculous problem like that you never think to check. Glad to hear you got it running again though. Although in all out seriousness ktm 250fs from around the 2007-2011 range are notorious for blowing through piston rings fast, usually within 40-50 hours on the stock. Be sure to check that a solid one time a year. I ended up boring mine out to 280 and it never blew through one again, got over 90 hours before I changed it.
KTM-Racing-124

Post by KTM-Racing-124 »

yep will be keeping on top of it now
it will be getting a maintenance run every day and a full check-up every 40hrs
that should make the neighbours happy :wink: apparently my bike affects their TV reception :lol: