2 Strokes... Will They Be Back?

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.

Will 2 Strokes Come Back Alive?

Yes
50%
No
32%
Possibly
18%

Total votes: 60

v3Nx
Team: Creme Egg

2 Strokes... Will They Be Back?

Post by v3Nx »

Well I Absolutely Love My 2Strokes and I Was Just Thinking I Should Create This Thread To See What People Thought or Possibly Knew. Personally, I think that people will get bored of the 4 Stroke and Get Back To 2Strokes (I Hope). But Anyway, As Alot of You On Here Know Alot About The MX World and Also Alot About The Engineering Facts, I would Like To Hear Your Opinions.
Voutare wrote:That would have been funny if I got it the first time, but I had to read it a couple times over. :(
scheeve3

Re: 2 Strokes... Will They Be Back?

Post by scheeve3 »

It never disapeared.
Frederik Van Eeckhoven - UID 326
1st Team @ MXSON 2009 & 2nd individual (125cc)
2012 DRT-Sandseries winner (MX1)
2012 DRT-spring SX series winner (OPEN)
2012 BMF-Friday night series winner (MX1)
Kawasakis

Post by Kawasakis »

I ride 2 stroke and its really fun,i love them.Sometimes its too powerfull for me lol,when i'm tired and stuff,and my bike is really old.

2 Strokes all the way! haha :lol:
MXS Cup Winner
AX MX2 Champion

Jacko #828
Team: Privateer

Post by Jacko #828 »

I don't know if they'll come back, but I know there a dam sight easier to start than my crf! :evil:
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

Not to be a conspiracy theory agent, but from an engineering/business point of view, manufacturers would be crazy to let them get popular again, at least get more popular than 4 strokes...The motocross economy was boosted with the 4 stroke motocrossers, they cost more to make, cost more to buy, break more often, cost more to fix, have more parts to replace....

2 strokes sure are fun and cheap though! I'll have one for a few more years at least! (but i'm much faster on a 4 stroke and can't wait to switch! lol)

not to mention environmentalists hate 2 strokes....look at what happened to 2 stroke street bikes....jet skis....at least in America.
chez

Post by chez »

I love 2 strokes I even sold a 2010 250sxf with 3.5 hours on it that was less than 3 weeks old just so i could get a 125 to race for next season. I was faster on the 250 though. Fact. Its not as much fun though and thats what this sport is all about really. Do I ever think they will come back to pro racing, no, simply because the manufactures have spent millions developing the 4 strokes and are not just going to let them go yet.
KTM
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

People say that 2 strokes are funner. But I've had friends that had 125's and tried my 250F a couple years back, and said it was much more fun than riding the 125. I guess it depends on what bike you are coming off. Anything different will always be fun i guess.

I say no. Two strokes will not make a comeback.
Jacko447

Post by Jacko447 »

im picking up a ktm144sx this weekend :) ... not sure about a comeback tho.. definatly not in the pro races, but maybe at your local races ;) (me being one of those people haha)
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

Sweendoggy wrote:Not to be a conspiracy theory agent, but from an engineering/business point of view, manufacturers would be crazy to let them get popular again, at least get more popular than 4 strokes...The motocross economy was boosted with the 4 stroke motocrossers, they cost more to make, cost more to buy, break more often, cost more to fix, have more parts to replace....
Is this really true? I stopped racing just before the four strokes showed up and there would usually be 50-70 guys in the 125 C class. It was very rare to not have the first moto be a qualifier (top 20 ride the 2nd moto, 21-40 are SOL or maybe get a consolation race if there was time left). Now when I check the results from some of the tracks I used to go to, I see that the 125/250f C class isn't even close to a full gate. If anything the turnout will be so low that it will be combined with another class. (I just looked at Walden MX's web page and they only did 5 races last year! WTF?)

Is this just a northeast thing, or do you guys see the same thing in the rest of the country/world?
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
Jones221
Team: Trump

Post by Jones221 »

I wanna see the great JLV in action!
only one to win something real from the game!
tyskorn
Team: Adept MX Graphics

Post by tyskorn »

I say they will.The manufactureers may not like it.But I think that privateers will start ridning them.If they don't have a bike sponser anyway.But,I do think they will make a comeback in the pro's.If not by the big guys,then probably by some of the guys out there to have fun.Plus,they cost less to repair and make into big race bikes.I am not a two-stroke guy,however.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

I hope they come back, they are a lot easier to maintain and cheaper than four strokes. Glad Yamaha still makes them :D.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
lluks252

Post by lluks252 »

jlv wrote:Is this really true? I stopped racing just before the four strokes showed up and there would usually be 50-70 guys in the 125 C class. It was very rare to not have the first moto be a qualifier (top 20 ride the 2nd moto, 21-40 are SOL or maybe get a consolation race if there was time left). Now when I check the results from some of the tracks I used to go to, I see that the 125/250f C class isn't even close to a full gate. If anything the turnout will be so low that it will be combined with another class. (I just looked at Walden MX's web page and they only did 5 races last year! WTF?)

Is this just a northeast thing, or do you guys see the same thing in the rest of the country/world?
So you stopped around 1998-99.

You sir, are correct. I live in Missouri and at my local race, there was only 1 class (250C which is 125s and 250fs) that had 2 heat races to qualify for the "main". However, they did 2 heat races, then whoever qualified got to do the 2 moto format, and the rest are SOL. I think California, Florida, and a couple other states still have a shit ton of riders.
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

250C here in WI is always the biggest class of the day. All 4 Strokes baby!..
Jacko #377 wrote:I don't know if they'll come back, but I know there a dam sight easier to start than my crf! :evil:
LOL. Take care of your CRF and it will start first kick everytime. Mine do. Even my race bike, 1 kick everytime, even on the ice this weekend.

4-strokes DON'T brake more often, they do require more attention though. If you treat your 4-stroke maintenance like you do on a two stroke (none for most people) then you're going to have issues. My brother and I both go new bikes in 2007, and guess what, after doing proper maintenance for the past 3 years neither of our bikes have broken down, not once. I freshened mine up this summer and that's the only money I've stuck into it. I'd like to see you get two years out of a 250 2-stroke top end....

In conclusion, 2-strokes are for rednecks who can't be bothered with taking care of something.... YEEHAW!!!!

:)
Phathry25

Post by Phathry25 »

jlv wrote:Is this really true? I stopped racing just before the four strokes showed up and there would usually be 50-70 guys in the 125 C class. It was very rare to not have the first moto be a qualifier (top 20 ride the 2nd moto, 21-40 are SOL or maybe get a consolation race if there was time left).
Sooooooo.....Where did you usually end up? Consi, or 2nd moto? :twisted: