Remote Control DIRT BIKES

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
JohnnyMac
Team: Privateer

Remote Control DIRT BIKES

Post by JohnnyMac »

I used to own and race for fun a r/c buggy over 10 yrs ago (team losi jrx I think). Lately Ive been thinking about those yrs and how fun it would be to get back into r/c again. Since I love dirt bikes and r/c was a fun hobby, I thought Id see if anything for r/c dirt bikes has been made.

So, first I ran across something released a number of yrs ago (5 yrs maybe?) from Radioshack named after Ricky Carmichael & Travis Pastrana (1/5th scale). It looked more like a toy. However, I then found more recent/advanced bikes out there with aluminum forks/swing arms, real chains, paddle tires for sand, motard tires for street, and some with nitro engines! From the vids Ive seen so far, the handling seems to be improving with each generation. They need nice soft dirt. The biggest disappointment for me is NOBODY is video taping these on a well groomed /tacky track where these bikes work best. They have real potential if you have the $ and some where/someone to race with!

Duratrax dx450 - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9215517/tm.htm
1/5 scale, not as expensive as arx540 but doesnt look like it handles that great

ARX 540 - http://www.armodelling.com/
1/4 scale, very expensive, probably best on the market

VMX 450 - http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VEN-0400
1/4 scale, coming out summer 2010. Im looking at this one to buy in future when I actually can afford another hobby. ;)

Some of the best vids Ive found so far
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9wddVgVgQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MIICohlxsU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zu94Apy ... r_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As7Q93b5bJA
tyskorn
Team: Adept MX Graphics

Re: Remote Control DIRT BIKES

Post by tyskorn »

Are they gas powered?Some of them seem to be,but idk,haha.I have a gas powered Traxxis(not T-MAXX,but don't remember what)2.5. It doesn't want to sart anymore though,haha.Although,it is really fun when it's running.
tyskorn

Post by tyskorn »

Revo.I think it was,haha.But nevermind I don't think any of them are gas powered.
And sorry for double post.
DarkLord

Post by DarkLord »

lol thx

i see a stunter on this Rc bike on youtube, here u are

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5pgEfdc ... re=related

LanEvo, what else
JohnnyMac

Post by JohnnyMac »

@Tyskorn
Actually the top image is the gas version of arx 540 while they also have an electric version too. The bottom image I posted is of an electric bike by different company. So, yeah theres both types out there. In fact, just last night I found a pic of a modded bike with a 4-STROKE engine!
DarkLord wrote:lol thx
i see a stunter on this Rc bike on youtube, here u are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5pgEfdc ... re=related
LOL. Ive seen a lot, but not that one. Nice find. One really interesting thing shown at beginning is something new I was reading about for that bike, its an electric gyroscope, theres a control & motor inside the back wheel(!), compared to other versions/bikes that have a mechanical gyro. Suppose to give a lot better control at slow speeds and from that video, Id say it works good.

Man I wish I hit the lottery.
tyskorn

Post by tyskorn »

I see now,haha.I didn't bother saving the picture to look at it,so I couln't tell only being ablt to see from the fron tire to the beginning of the sat,haha.
jesplind

Post by jesplind »

RC cars is a damn bitch, ALOT of fun while running but they never do so. I'll buy one again when they have figure out a more solid engine
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

I'm not sure I see the attraction of RC dirtbikes. If I'm going outside with a motorcycle, why not just have a real dirt bike...

I have to admit however, watching some of those videos...I thought about how my 6 month old son would look strapped to one of those. :lol: I think he'd have a blast....
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
Voutare

Post by Voutare »

Garasaki wrote:I'm not sure I see the attraction of RC dirtbikes. If I'm going outside with a motorcycle, why not just have a real dirt bike...

I have to admit however, watching some of those videos...I thought about how my 6 month old son would look strapped to one of those. :lol: I think he'd have a blast....
I can see that ending really really bad.
JohnnyMac

Post by JohnnyMac »

Garasaki wrote:I'm not sure I see the attraction of RC dirtbikes. If I'm going outside with a motorcycle, why not just have a real dirt bike....
So, what, playing mxs is any different? If anything, next to real racing or real riding, I say rc racing is the next closest thing. Its real, its tangible. If rc dirt bikes ever took off like the rc buggy/truck racing, Im sure youd think differently. I guess I just think too far ahead sometimes. 8)
knapp21

Post by knapp21 »

Wow those videos are sweet. I owned a savage and a mini-t years ago. i was really into racing those little things, but they are such money holes! i liked the savage alot because of its durability, but the mini-t was amazing because i had a mamba brushless motor and a Lithium battery so it would go like 60 mph. goood times. those bikes seem like they would be hard to control though... ill stick to mx sim
Tyler 258

Post by Tyler 258 »

JohnnyMac wrote:
Garasaki wrote:I'm not sure I see the attraction of RC dirtbikes. If I'm going outside with a motorcycle, why not just have a real dirt bike....
So, what, playing mxs is any different? If anything, next to real racing or real riding, I say rc racing is the next closest thing. Its real, its tangible. If rc dirt bikes ever took off like the rc buggy/truck racing, Im sure youd think differently. I guess I just think too far ahead sometimes. 8)
Many ex-motocrossers race RC cars when there older. Because it relates to MX alot, when you race RC you have to know good lines stay away from bumps and try not to wad. Its alot of fun.
cpt_Slow

Post by cpt_Slow »

I used to have a Thunder Tiger DT10 Stadium truck. Great fun when it was running. :roll:It had a habit of stripping all the teeth off of its spur gear and the mixture seemed to alter every time I took it out. I would spend ages tweaking the carb to get it running sweet, then next time I took it out I would have to start from scratch. I sold it to my friend in the end who snapped the con-rod and still sold it for a profit. :evil: I would definitely go electric if I ever went back to RC (been thinking of doing a scratch build).

Back to dirtbikes,I've seen some pretty nice RC bikes around but they don't seem to handle the terrain very naturally, usually have gyros in the wheels I think to stabilise them which makes them look hilarious when they land a jump sideways, impossible to get any decent airtime on them but still look pretty fun. The best I have seen is a home made carbon fibre road bike, 1:18 I think. Nice and compact so it could be run anywhere but absolutely flew.
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

JohnnyMac wrote:
I'm just saying,

If I'm outside,

and I have a dirtbike,

I'd rather be riding it then standing still holding a controller.

I'm sure the level of success of rc dirt bikes would do nothing to change my opinion, thank you very much :roll:
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
team magic racing11L

Post by team magic racing11L »

i have a savage x ..4.6 .................that looks sick