Arm Pump

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
v3Nx
Team: Creme Egg

Arm Pump

Post by v3Nx »

Hi,
Sometimes when i ride I get arm pump. I beleive its because I grip too hard because I just moved up to a 125, But I was just wondering, How many of you suffer from Arm Pump and if you do/did, what are the possiblities for curing it.
Voutare wrote:That would have been funny if I got it the first time, but I had to read it a couple times over. :(
ILT513
Team: Privateer

Re: Arm Pump

Post by ILT513 »

breath in corners more
Rallemx

Post by Rallemx »

Dont grip the bike too hard with your hands, use your knees.
Hydrate prior to riding and..What helps the most if just ride a sh1tload..I always get armpump at the start of the season..Easiest way to "cure" armpump is to just ride alot. Also, try not to think about it.
WhMx179

Post by WhMx179 »

The only way to cure arm pump is to just ride more often and build strength in your forearms. The more you ride, the less arm pump you will get
Red619

Post by Red619 »

That funny, thats what everyone says but I think it never completly goes away. for example, this weekend I did a 35 mile ride. my second time riding a bike, first time on trails(mccain valley,ca), but I did not get arm pump, but my buddy who has been riding for five years got it real bad. I think it will get you somedays and other days not so much. just ride more and if it does not go away, at least youll be getting better on your bike :mrgreen:
DankeKTM21
Team: Danke KTM

Post by DankeKTM21 »

i had that problem, but i solved it ;)
the only solution to that problem is something like this (i dont know the name)
its not a pliers but similar, you have to close they (they make force to outside)
if someones got me post the name of that thing.
ive tried EVERYTHING, but the pliers are the only who had helped me
they are cheap something like $5 no more
Kawasakis wrote:Hah yeah, because basketball and football requires just one ball - two balls just only for motocross riders haha
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

Do you mean something like this?
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
mxkid592

Post by mxkid592 »

ya ride alot, do not grip the handle bars to tight, learn to lossen up, i heard taking a few asprins like 30 mins before you ride helps becuase it thins the blood. also work your forearms out. it took me a while to get used to lossening up, but next time you go riding, focus on it. Also if you have super fatty grips, (grips that are more padded) change grips becuase i had these red grips that were a little on the bulky side, felt like i had to hold on tighter seemed like i couldnt get any grip, i change those and it seemed to help alot.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You dont need hand guards if you know you will be in front.
Check out some of my mxs whips they are sick!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGTfb6xUElE
DankeKTM21

Post by DankeKTM21 »

excactly yzmxer, thats what i tried to say lol, btw hows that called?
Kawasakis wrote:Hah yeah, because basketball and football requires just one ball - two balls just only for motocross riders haha
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Powerballs are known to help as well

ddmx

Post by ddmx »

yzmxer608 wrote:Do you mean something like this?
http://archive.liveauctioneers.com/arch ... 6_1_lg.jpg
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT
...use this to cure arm pump!!!!!!

If you've ever used this to cure armpump, it didn't cure arm pump, but gave you what you needed to cure arm pump in a separate way. Arm pump is in the head.

Why don't use this? Doing this excercise conditions your arms to pump full of blood when they are doing work. Riding mx is doing work. Using this to cure arm pump, is gonna make it way worse. Arm pump is in the head, it comes from being nervous. Ride more, get comfortable and in your comfort zone, and arm pump goes away.
DankeKTM21

Post by DankeKTM21 »

well, your right on that part, but i meant doing that while your not riding, like your freetime. also i use this for races
its a cream, who smells like menthos, it makes your muscles relax.

AND EAT ALOT OF BANNANAS, BELIEVE ME...!!
mx4Him

Post by mx4Him »

the biggest reason i got arm pump from time to time is when i'm not feeling comfortable on my bike so i'm not being relaxed. the fix for that is seat time :D
gomoto846
Team: GP Decals

Post by gomoto846 »

ddmx wrote:
yzmxer608 wrote:Do you mean something like this?
http://archive.liveauctioneers.com/arch ... 6_1_lg.jpg
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT
...use this to cure arm pump!!!!!!

If you've ever used this to cure armpump, it didn't cure arm pump, but gave you what you needed to cure arm pump in a separate way. Arm pump is in the head.

Why don't use this? Doing this excercise conditions your arms to pump full of blood when they are doing work. Riding mx is doing work. Using this to cure arm pump, is gonna make it way worse. Arm pump is in the head, it comes from being nervous. Ride more, get comfortable and in your comfort zone, and arm pump goes away.
after i finish my moto i just hold my arms up above my head and that helps it go away for me. which i think helps the blood go back out of the arms. holding my arms up could also be mental which helps the arm pump go down more. both of my ideas are supported by what ddmx said.
dearnhardtfan7

Post by dearnhardtfan7 »

Definitely stretch plenty. Drink lots of water and not too much gatorade. Pickles and bananas are both good things to snack on, as well as grapes on race day. But yes as ddmx said, it is 98% mental. It doesn't matter what you do in preparation, if you are sitting on the gate thinking "Man I hope I don't pump up this moto" you are going to get arm pump. There are things in the setup of your bike that can contribute as well. Of course suspension being the biggest. If you get head shake alot it will make you pump up since you will be involuntarily gripping the bars harder. The KTMs seem to be bad about head shake. A steering stabilizer may be a smart investment. Seat time is far and away the best "cure" for arm pump.

Just curious, has anyone on here had the surgery? I don't personally know anyone who has had it done, but it just seems like an over the top solution personally.
R.I.P. Jacob Nash #241
PSN-chrismri463
xfire--cmarona463