Starting riding, need tips!

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.
Duckstream

Starting riding, need tips!

Post by Duckstream »

Okey hey so i got some GOOOD news, i get a bike ATLAST!
A mx bike that is...

So now im getting a 250 4 blow, and since i have no experience in mx racing (I KNOW HOW TO RIDE a moto bike, but mx is not the same :roll: )
So i come here and ask you who have been hopefully in this business for a long time, Tips and helpfull information
whats the most needet thing in mx riding and what to remember, how to jump probery, how to take the ruts rigth and so on and so on...
This is irl, but i know from mxs that releasing gas (in air)or braking while turning (also braking in air) can cause serious trouble.

But im asking this seriously, i dont want to buy a bike-ride 2 days and hurt myself-lay on a bed for rest of the summer.

Thanks,
Duckstream.

(BTW Im planing to get 250cc Honda or yamaha, so no ktm,kawa,suzuki...)
DJ99X

Re: Starting riding, need tips!

Post by DJ99X »

I'm not sure if you have these over there, but try attending a riding school. The stuff they teach you is extremely valuable.

If not, just don't rush into things. Just ease your way into learning how to take ruts, and don't go hitting massive jumps straight up, just take small ones and get used to the feeling of not touching the ground.

With four-strokes, do not close the throttle off the face of a jump, as the compression will kick in, and you will nose dive. If this happens, panic rev, and this will help bring the wheel back up.
Rallemx

Post by Rallemx »

Always consistent throttle going off jumps..Ruts, well you wont need to worry about that now.
Also, NEVER use front brake in air. Rear brake is fine.
And, you know the quote "When in doubt, pin it" <-- Use that. Usually when something goes wrong, its because you hestitated. Dont do that :)
Keep us updated :wink:
The Fox
Team: ASV Inventions

Post by The Fox »

I think You should begin riding with a 125 2 stroke, it teaches You a lot of things and I think it's the best bike to begin because of the "low" cost of maintenance.
If You are gettin an used 250 4 stroke check the condition of the engine, valves etc...
mikez#411

Post by mikez#411 »

The Fox wrote:I think You should begin riding with a 125 2 stroke, it teaches You a lot of things and I think it's the best bike to begin because of the "low" cost of maintenance.
If You are gettin an used 250 4 stroke check the condition of the engine, valves etc...
Yep, 125 2stroke can help you learning the basics alot, It helped me, (i did my first whip on it:D) but at the moment i have 2 bikes, a 125 2stroke and a 450, whenever I want to try something out on the track, I take the 125, and try that shit out. If I feel good with the way I do it with the 125, i go back to the car, switch to the 450 and try it with that too:D

But Duck, I'd say buy/download/youtube Gary Semics instructional vid or Jeremy McCrath's instructional vid:P they might help you (they never helped me cuz I can't learn things when I watch it on PC/TV, I can only learn something when it's done right infront of me^^)
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

Duckstream wrote:releasing gas (in air)or braking while turning (also braking in air) can cause serious trouble.
Hey man, I've been riding for about 5 years, but just recently got a new mx bike and have started riding mx more often.

1. If you let off of the gas off the face, yea you'll nose dive. But you can let off the gas once you have left the ground.

2. Yes, try to get your braking done before entering the corner, so you can gas it through the rut.

As with most sports, try to develop good habits. Take things slow! Go out to a track on a practice day and just practice gripping the bike with your knees and beeing smooth in the turns. With a 4-stroke, dont be afraid to just roll on the throttle out of a corner, the bike will do the work for you. I came from a vintage 125, and you really gotta rev that thing up to go anywhere when you weigh 200lbs! With my new 250F, and (-15lbs) i can roll it on and it will chug-a-lug out of the corner. Try to find a good tabletop to get used to flying a little. When i started trying to jump, i would ride slow up the face and then "blip" the throttle right at the top, DONT DO THIS! Practice smooth throttle all the way up the face. Dont want to loop out off the takeoff....bad news.

Quick recap:

1. Go slow! Stay smooth and consistent. Get used to the bike. You dont get trophies for winning in practice!
2. Grip the bike with your knees, not your hands! Your legs have much better stamina than your arms/hands.
3. Smooth throttle on jumps. Dont go trying to hit doubles right away, find a good tabletop to practice on.
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

wheels1758 wrote:
Duckstream wrote:1. If you let off of the gas off the face, yea you'll nose dive. But you can let off the gas once you have left the ground.
I forgot something: Right before you touch back down, get on the gas. It will make the landing a whole lot smoother.
jesplind

Post by jesplind »

Learn the bike then come back here and look what we say. You don't need to worry about anything named here before you have found the throttle (not litteraly)
Kawasakis

Post by Kawasakis »

And watch some videos on youtube how other rides,like pro's and others.
MXS Cup Winner
AX MX2 Champion

Shadow
Team: FSK

Post by Shadow »

What DJ said, search for local mx clubs and see if they have any mx riding classes/schools. Doing that helped me tremendously.

Plus the usual, grip the bike with your knees, not your hands, when standing through a corner weight the inside peg etc.
Those who possess strength have also known adversity.
JB323
Team: Privateer Life

Post by JB323 »

2 stroke and 4 strokes ARE 1000% completely different riding styles, just like 450s and 250s.

Your body will naturally adapt to your bike, it wont come over the weekend either. Make some friends at the tracks and have them ride with you on the vet tracks, dont go straight to the main tracks as you will be a danger to yourself and others.

get a bike your happy with and in your own price, then just ride it. Seat time is the most important thing you can get, then a practice buddy. If not pick someone out on the track and try to follow them to get the speed to judge for jumps if you have problems, just remember to take things slow or you will end up on the ground. Also make sure you have all your gear too.

Privateer Life # 323 Support from Motosport | Race Tech | 180 Decals

http://instagram.com/jbolen323/
Axle McOctane
Team: Privateer

Post by Axle McOctane »

Like everyone is saying, pay close attention to the form and technique of the pros.

motocross.transworld.net has a riding tip section now, might wanna check it out.

Since you're beginning, you want to train yourself in the right habits first, and not form bad riding habits that you will later have to break.

Grip the bars properly, by holding the grips like a doorknob (mostly squeezing with thumb and index,) and holding your elbows up and away. This will also give your wrists good alignment for if you are going to come up short on a jump, and don't wish to break them. Don't use more than 1 or 2 fingers to pull the clutch or front brake.

Perhaps more important is how you grip the bike with your LEGS. Pretty much all of us could benefit from riding with our knees and legs more, and arms less. Really squeeze and clamp onto the bike with your knees, and lean the bike with your knees, bot by pushing down on the bars. You want a low center of gravity, so always have as much weight on your footpegs as possible (esp. the outside peg in turns.) Have some weight on the seat, when necessary, and have your arms supporting as close to 0 % of your weight as possible.

Look ahead, then look more ahead. You will go where you look. Conversely, if you see something that you don't want to ride over, like a rock, then don't look at it.

That should be a good start, but there are tons of "riding tips from the pros" in various magazines, and good instructional videos out there by people with my better credentials than myself.
DankeKTM21
Team: Danke KTM

Post by DankeKTM21 »

i recommend you to have some free riding at first, to enjoy the bike and not be preasured, also dont rush about being fast, its all on practice, practice and more practice.
if you really want to start racing mx hard, you should take in mind you will cant go party's whenever you want, girlfriends will quit your time for training, u cant drink, smoke, and all that. your life turns really different than other ones.
about the BASIC tips I can tell you.
try to not down too much your foots, only 180º or dificult curves, and put it on fast (stefan everts said)
1 finger per clutch & brake.
when your breaking move your body BACK.
elbows up
try too see more far than usually, not your frontguard.
enjoy!
Kawasakis wrote:Hah yeah, because basketball and football requires just one ball - two balls just only for motocross riders haha
NortyKTM#147

Post by NortyKTM#147 »

Some stuff one of my coaches told me.
-Always ride standing up except when your transitioning (taking a corner)
-Try grip the bike more with your legs than your arms
-Try looking up or more straight ahead, looking down at the ruts or ground could cause you to lose your balance
-When cornering look where you're going and exiting
-Keep your elbows up and out
-Cover your levers with as many fingers as you're comfortable with
-Keep the gas on and steady all the way up the face of a jump
and just to finish (becuase i'm sick of typing)
LAZYNESS = CRASHES
You Race In The Mud And Rain, You Train In The Mud And Rain
Shadow wrote:mxsim forums, where people argue over the most insignificant things 'till their heads explode
mx985

Post by mx985 »

advice i would give is stay away from a track, when your a full blown beginner its dangerous as it is just putting around. when u really dont know how to handel any obstical, like jumps and jump combos. best place to learn to ride is out in the hills, on flat ground with minor bumps. iv been riding since i was 10, now im 24 so thats alot of years lol. but i did all my learning... gettin to know how a dirt bike reacts etc etc..., in different spots on trails and open space. tracks are for at least a little more advanced riders. tracks are nothing to play around on, u gotta ride pretty sierous to not get hurt.once u start to get it u will relise most of it is mental, if u know u can do something and truly bealive it, and dont have to convince your self u can it turns you into a more confedent rider each time u make it happen. just my 02