Help me decide how to transport my dirtbike.

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.

What should i do?

Keep car, install a toe hitch, use motorcycle carrier
8%
Keep car, install a toe hitch, get a trailer
22%
Sell car and carrier, buy a small pickup truck
63%
Other (explain)
6%

Total votes: 49

DJD

Re: Help me decide how to transport my dirtbike.

Post by DJD »

Break her down and put her in the backseat.

Did that with my dads Toyota Corolla on a trip to Georgia.
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

DJD wrote:Break her down and put her in the backseat.

Did that with my dads Toyota Corolla on a trip to Georgia.
yzmxer608
Team: SYS

Post by yzmxer608 »

RIP two stroke :(.

If it was a yz500 the frame wouldn't have broke though :lol:.
TeamHavocRacing wrote:If I had a nickel for every time someone asked for this, I would have a whole shitload of nickels.
Voutare
Team: Privateer

Post by Voutare »

Maybe I'm just retarded, but I didn't think Hondas seperated like that. Is that a broken in half bike, or actually dissembled?
magnusson
Team: Wannabe

Post by magnusson »

HATE when that happens!

but shack just go whit a small van, lock the bike in it and don't have any windows on the back, if you have just put a film(don't know the right word) in the windows.
vurbmoto wrote: - Kevin Windham is still a BOSS
My Release's on PureMXS
russ190

Post by russ190 »

I would stick with the car and buy a small trailer. Small trailers wont really hurt it. I went from a Ranger 4x4 which was easy but sucked gas worse than my current 2wd silverado with the 5.3 v8. The ranger had a 4.0 v6

On topic in our district there is a guy that uses a newer corvette to haul around his kids 250F and gear. He drives 80 mph and gets around 23 mpg. (His kid races my class so talk to him often) Im currently looking at switching from using a truck to buying a car and trailer. mainly due to gas mileage.

my friend used to use this trailer setup till he picked up an enclosed trailer. looks like this but with dirtbikes instead

Postma

Post by Postma »

I'd say go with the truck. I personally would go try and get a full size truck, if you have enough coin. A few of my buddies have smaller pick-ups (Ranger and Dakota's) and they don't seem to get much better gas mileage than my full size, 4 wheel drive, four door F-150. Plus with a truck you can usually fit two of your buddies bikes in the back too, then make them pay for the gas!

Either way, the convenience of a truck is second to none. When I was younger, I bought a car for good gas mileage and because I thought it was cool to have a sweet car instead of a truck. That didn't even last for a year. I got so sick of borrowing others trucks to go riding, that I sold my car and have only owned trucks since. Now that I don't put Tonneau covers on my trucks anymore, I can be completely loaded up and on the road within 5 minutes.
Andrew Postma
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

SHack heres what i say, either;

1) get a truck, hell you live in USA you pussy.

2) buy a semi?
My photography work
www.mikeowenphotographer.com
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

Get a truck ONLY if you can keep the car. You'll eventually regret not having passenger room if it's a two-seater. Otherwise get the TRD Tundra Condo-cab with plush Corinthian leather.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.
wheels1758

Post by wheels1758 »

Mikey wrote:you pussy, buy a semi?
lluks252

Post by lluks252 »

Shack, I'm in this dilemma too. However, I still live with my dad so I can borrow his truck pretty much whenever. I chose keep the car and get a small trailer. Personally, its all about what kind of shape the car is in, mileage, how old is it. What if you got the hitch installed and got a single bike rail trailer or 2 bike rail trailer which is a lot smaller than just a flat metal or wood trailer, flip gate or not. Maybe you could store the trailer at the same house you are storing your bike, the single rail trailers don't weigh anything, you can unload the bike, unhook the trailer and walk it behind the shed or something. Let us know what you decide!
ShackAttack12

Post by ShackAttack12 »

I think i'm going to go with the trailer idea. I'm mainly concerned about fuel economy because the gas prices up here are fricken insane. My car gets over 40mpg, and probably nothing less than 38 while I'm towing the bike. No pickup truck will be able to get that kind of fuel economy.

The hitch and trailer setup is going to run me close to 500$ total all said and done. I've seen trailers range from 100$ on up to about 300$ for the new foldable one from harbor freight. I'd rather spend that kind of money with what i have, rather than have to go through the hassle of trying to sell the car and finding a cheap truck. Englishtown opens this weekend and i'm already losing out on a weekend of riding! :evil:
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
Postma

Post by Postma »

ShackAttack12 wrote:My car gets over 40mpg, and probably nothing less than 38 while I'm towing the bike. No pickup truck will be able to get that kind of fuel economy.
Damn 40 mpg! I probably wouldn't give that up either. I barely get that on my street bike!

I average around 15 mpg in my current truck. With gas at $3.50/gallon, it costs me around $120 to fill up... :(
The best fuel economy I ever got, out of a truck, was my 07 Chevy Avalanche. It averaged around 19 mpg.
Andrew Postma
REIDY-171

Post by REIDY-171 »

Yeah my truck only gets about 18. Although my dads 1986 Toyota pick up gets around 30.
TeamHavocRacing
Team: Havoc Racing

Post by TeamHavocRacing »

BEWARE: Harbor Freight = Melamine tainted, lead filled Chinese crap that rusts upon first exposure to moisture, plus if there's wiring...fuggettaboutit. Read the internets.
jlv wrote:If it weren't for Havoc I'd have been arguing with the 12 year olds by myself.