Help me decide how to transport my dirtbike.

I've heard conversation coming out of animal pens that is more intelligent than what is going on in here.

What should i do?

Keep car, install a toe hitch, use motorcycle carrier
8%
Keep car, install a toe hitch, get a trailer
22%
Sell car and carrier, buy a small pickup truck
63%
Other (explain)
6%

Total votes: 49

ShackAttack12

Help me decide how to transport my dirtbike.

Post by ShackAttack12 »

I'm in a bit of a situation here (not a jersey shore one).

I've moved up to Pomona,NY (just outside of New Jersey) from Manahawkin,NJ (south jersey) for my new job. I live in a condo and have no outside storage space, and my condo is on the 2nd floor. Currently, my yz250 is back home at my father's house in the garage (where it's always been). Storage in my new situation is not a problem though because my girlfriend's aunt is letting me use her shed, and she's about 20 minutes from my house. I'll be moving the bike up here as soon as i figure out how i'll be transporting it around.

I used to use my father's Chevy Tahoe with a motorcycle carrier on the hitch to transport my motorcycle around. However, i now drive around a cheap Saturn as a commuter car for when i can't ride my motorcycle (weather, etc). I currently don't have a way to transport my yz250.

So here are my options. I'd like some opinions.

1. Keep the car and install a toe hitch. I've seen toe hitch's for about 150$ that i have to install myself. They are only rated for a 200lb tongue weight and are class 1, so i'm worried that the weight of my motorcycle carrier + yz250 will be too much for the hitch.

2. Keep the car, install hitch, sell carrier and get a small trailer. I could get about 75-100$ or so for the carrier, and i can buy a small trailer for the dirtbike. I'd still have to install the hitch, but the tongue weight shouldn't be a problem since most of the weight will be distributed over the trailer tires. Downfall to this scenario is parking the trailer somewhere. I think i'll get a bunch of crap for leaving a trailer in the parking lot in my condo complex. Also, i'll have to register and insure the trailer which is extra money

3. Sell the car, sell the carrier, buy a small pickup truck. I could try to sell my car, probably get about $1000 or so for it, and try to find a pickup truck to haul my bike around.

4. Other. If you can think of anything else i could do, let me know.
ShackAttack12
| 2010 Supercross Champ | 2011 Supercross Champ | 2019 Supercross Champ |
rideblue56
Team: FSK

Re: Help me decide how to transport my dirtbike.

Post by rideblue56 »

the very best way would be to buy a truck. you can find decent ones for under $1000. like an old S10 or Ranger.

the best, and safest way, while keeping the car would be to get a trailer.

the toe hitch just seems like to much of a risk, though im sure it would hold fine. i just dont think you want to see your bike skidding across asphalt at 60+ miles an hour.
Cody Darr
Team: Start Your Systems

Post by Cody Darr »

I would go with a truck. I got an s-10 and it was ok on gas (depends where your going all the time) but it hauled my bike from point A to point B. Might cost more to fill it up and with gas rising that might not be good. But like rideblue said though I wouldnt want to look behind my car to see my bike draging along the road and the tralier would be to much lugging around.
2011 LRS Monday Night local Series 125 Pro Champion
jlv wrote:What a dope! He should have saved that move for the last lap like Cody Darr!
Joe
Team: MXSP

Post by Joe »

depends on what kind of money you have if you dont have any extra money then getting a..

truck wouldnt be a good option because you will have 1,100(after you sell your stuff) pretty hard to get a truck that works and get it registered pay taxes etc for that price also a truck is harder on fule then car would be ( for every day travel).

Id say your best bet would be get a trailer for your car because you know your car works its already registered and taxes piad im sure you can find somewhere to store your trailer or speak with your landlord im sure for an extra 20bucks a month he would let you park it there and you would save money on gas commuting to and from work (considering that is what you will be using your vehicle for the majority of the time not hualing the bike)

But if you have some extra money id sell your shit and spend liek 2,000 on a decent truck

just my suggestion
magnusson
Team: Wannabe

Post by magnusson »

i say get a van(ford transit, hiace) the ford if you want to have some space in the van, it can fit 3 bikes and have seats for 6 persons, the hiace is a 3 person car but you can also for 3 in there but it will be a pain getting them out. i have a ford transit and i love it(i usually just have 1 bike in it) plenty of space to store your gear and all that gas that you need because your on a 2T.
vurbmoto wrote: - Kevin Windham is still a BOSS
My Release's on PureMXS
Phathry25
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by Phathry25 »

I think you should get a fun mover.
v3Nx
Team: Creme Egg

Post by v3Nx »

Vans like a Transit are always the way forward. We have an Iveco Truck (Xtra Large Wheel Base) and we converted it into a motorhome with beds, storage for bikes and gear, and living space. It didn't cost squit to make either really, in comparison to a proper motorhome.
Voutare wrote:That would have been funny if I got it the first time, but I had to read it a couple times over. :(
Garasaki

Post by Garasaki »

I'm not sure a trailer on your lil Saturn is the best idea. Granted you aren't exactly hauling a heavy load, but front wheel drive (especially little ones) and trailers don't mix.
DR.MIZ wrote: Keeping something "secret" so you can be "cool" is not making a flourishing community.
rideblue56

Post by rideblue56 »

Garasaki wrote:I'm not sure a trailer on your lil Saturn is the best idea. Granted you aren't exactly hauling a heavy load, but front wheel drive (especially little ones) and trailers don't mix.
what problems would it cause?

i pull a trailer with my RAV4 all the time.. though its tad bigger than a Saturn, but i also pull a bigger trailer than he will. it should still pull a small trailer fine. and with a little ingenuity you could load the trailer so there will be very little tongue weight.
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

You'll eliminate a lot of headaches by taking the plunge and getting a small truck. They get solid gas mileage and you can find older used ones pretty cheap. In the long run, you'll be glad you did it as it'll make it much easier to go riding and you'll have plenty of space for gas cans and gear bags and to bring a buddy along to go riding without ruining your trunk your interior or having to install and remove a hitch bumper deal all the time.

Or, if there is a track you always go to, you could just talk with the owner and see if they have a secure spot they would rent to you real cheap to keep your bike at the track.
Voutare
Team: Privateer

Post by Voutare »

The weight is behind the rear axle. Think of the car as a lever, with the fulcrum being the rear wheels. There would be less weight pushing on the front end of the car, and especially with a Saturn, a light weight car, you might not be able to handle the car all that well.

I'd say just get a small pickup. A 4 cylinder Mazda pickup will be plenty to cart your bike around and it's still light and good on gas like a car is.
rideblue56

Post by rideblue56 »

Voutare wrote:The weight is behind the rear axle. Think of the car as a lever, with the fulcrum being the rear wheels. There would be less weight pushing on the front end of the car, and especially with a Saturn, a light weight car, you might not be able to handle the car all that well.
well yeah, i understand that. thats why i said you could load it right and there will be little to no tongue weight.

but as i said before and like others said, you should just bite the bullet and get a small truck.
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

Didn't vote, BUT

Depends on the cash you are willing to put in, AND how serious you take riding/racing?

If you are a casual rider who goes to practices mostly and not too often, I'd go with the car/hit carrier...

If you are a casual rider who practices mostly and races, but not too often, I'd go with the car/hitch carrier or trailer combo (I am assuming your car can handle it)

If you are a semi Serious rider, rides at least once a week or more, I'd go for the pick up truck (truck are nice to have around anyway)

If you are a serious rider, racer, and race/ride once a week or more and you love the sport like nothing else, then I would reccomend doing what I did....

That would be keeping your current vehicle (not sure if this is possible for you) and investing in a van...I bought my van for 1800 bucks, and it is OFF THE CHAIN! High miles, but I know how to work on my cars, plus it hasn't been a problem at all. The thing is PERFECT for racing, works as a storage for all my bike stuff, including bike (It is insured through Geico and is locked up, and I bought an alarm), The van has worked wonders for me, and it is perfect for a pit set up. It has also pulled me out of a few jams having it as a backup regular vehicle for when my truck has problems, or back when my gfs car blew freeze plugs, she drove my truck and I drove the van. It has worked out awesome for me, other than my friends dubbing it, the raper van... :lol:

That being said, that's a lot of sacrafice to go out and spend that money, and all that, just for a "motocross specific" vehicle. You will also find yourself spending all kinds of money pimping out the inside of the van, because it is very addicting lol

Good luck, your a smart dude, I'm sure you figure out the best solution
s
Sweendoggy
Team: Lone Wolf

Post by Sweendoggy »

Oh I should add, Van's eat gas (unless you get a pussy little ford transit :lol: jk robinmag, I'm jealous) and sometimes I actually unload my bike from the van and into my truck to go ride on the cheap! haha like I said the Van is just awesome at races, with my easy up outside of it, it is a formidable pit, with every part/tool I own available to me...Also planning on installing some sweet stuff to it soon, (water tank, generator, air compressor, lights) haha
Voutare
Team: Privateer

Post by Voutare »

Just don't go to Atlanta with it. You'll get it stolen.

Almost happened to my friends uncle in 2004/5. He left for 5 minutes to talk to the AMA, came back, and there were 5 black guys trying to rip open the doors and snag his bike. They don't even start the bike if they get it, they'll have 3 guys grab on and run it out of the parking area.