Fmx Object models usability?

Post about creating and skinning models here
staydown
Team: Building Tracks Only

Fmx Object models usability?

Post by staydown »

Just started messing around with google sketchup 7 and I have created some fmx objects. I haven't seen anyone using ramps in their fmx tracks. Wondering if it is possible to use objects such as these in the editor? Check em out and let me know what u think.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 1272063471

PS don't have full version of game yet, have demo at work and home computer sucks.
ddmx

Re: Fmx Object models usability?

Post by ddmx »

Well, with the current collision systems objects such as the ramp are untested, meaning that they really don't work right. The wall ride though, on the other hand, with enough collision spheres, might just be a possibility.
Voutare
Team: Privateer

Post by Voutare »

I think JLV planned on redoing how the collision meshes work. Not sure when, or what is going to happen, best wait for him.

DJ also tested this out. It was like going up a washboard.
staydown
Team: Building Tracks Only

Post by staydown »

There will be a whole new world opened up once that problem is fixed. I know all the track creators could deffinately utilize over and under bridges for sx.
I give JLV major props for the community that he created. To bad we couldn't get a resident/member game programmer that JLV could relay tasks to, to do the small tweaks to the program that everyone requests.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-iW-tUVrQ

Thats a ramp with the current collision system (forget the actual ramp itself, I was just starting out on modelling then).

The problem with making stuff with spheres, is that it uses too much cpu, as the computer has to calculate your distance from each sphere. There were about 10000 spheres in that ramp. That ramp was very slippery as well, another trait of the spheres.

I'd love an updated collision system to be brought in after multiplayer comes out. It would bring so much more to tracks, like ramps, (better) rocks, walls, bridges, (better) logs, etc.
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

I have the sphere to wheel collisions fixed so you can ride on track objects now. (It wasn't that they were slippery. The problem was the steering stabilizer thought you were airborn because you weren't touching the ground.) I'm not sure it will be great for ramps but for a bridge it will be fine. It will be in the next snapshot.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Ok, thats mad. Spheres should do the job for logs and rocks.

On the topic of collisions, I know that it is possible for torus's as thats what you used for the wheels, what is the layout for the shape file? I could use them for tyres on an endurocross track
jlv
Site Admin
Team: No Frills Racing

Post by jlv »

They're only for the wheel to ground contacts. They're expensive to calculate (to find the collision points you need to find the roots of a quartic curve) so for something that doesn't need to be perfectly smooth you're better off approximating it with spheres.
Josh Vanderhoof
Sole Proprietor
jlv@mxsimulator.com
If you email, put "MX Simulator" in the subject to make sure it gets through my spam filter.
yomo

Post by yomo »

jlv wrote:They're only for the wheel to ground contacts. They're expensive to calculate (to find the collision points you need to find the roots of a quartic curve) so for something that doesn't need to be perfectly smooth you're better off approximating it with spheres.
Hard to calculate? Meh i could do that in my head :D
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

OK, solve x^4-3x^3+x-3=0
:lol:
yomo

Post by yomo »

8) With out the use of a calculator 8)

x = -1???
:wink:
gordy
Team: Privateer

Post by gordy »

PROTIP: Graphics Calculators are mandatory in South Australia from Year 10 onwards
instupitious.
yomo

Post by yomo »

yeah.... but i ahhhh left mine at school tonight :?

if anyone can actually show the steps to work it out... id like to see I kinda got some where with it... just not -1
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

yomo195 wrote:8) With out the use of a calculator 8)

x = -1???
:wink:
Doh, it was a random equation but had such an obvious answer
yomo

Post by yomo »

ok give us a hard one :D

In all seriousness we should set up a maths thread in the off topic for random and brilliant minds. Oh and physics because i love physics *cough* even more then Gordy *cough*