Dear "Skinners" who use PureMXS

Post about creating and skinning models here
DJ99X

Dear "Skinners" who use PureMXS

Post by DJ99X »

I'm am beginning to become concerned with the material being uploaded to PureMXS. I am all for new people to have a dig at skinning, but I do not think it is necessary to upload everything you make, especially your first couple of skins. You are just clogging the place up.

Seriously, click on "BIKES", and look at the amount of skins with 50 or less downloads. On that 1st page of "BIKES", 15/25 skins have 50 or less downloads. Don't you think thats saying something about your skin? Look at Gala's skin. 606 downloads

If you are not confident with the level of quality of your skin, maybe you should think about uploading to Mediafire.

Sorry if I'm offending anyone here, but I really don't want it turning into another MCM Factory.
DJD

Re: Dear "Skinners" who use PureMXS

Post by DJD »

I put a lot of effort into that Yoshi Honda...... :(

I felt it was worthy.....
mx4life

Post by mx4life »

it was its only been on for a day
FactoryBR21
Team: Privateer

Post by FactoryBR21 »

You just read my mind DJ because I just look there and I was thinking the same thing as you wrote here and DJ_Diehl yeah that was worth :wink:
Mbutler183 wrote:I remember when we had to play mva instead of mxs, what a load of shit that was.
BMseX

Post by BMseX »

DJ wrote:I'm am beginning to become concerned with the material being uploaded to PureMXS. I am all for new people to have a dig at skinning, but I do not think it is necessary to upload everything you make, especially your first couple of skins. You are just clogging the place up.

Seriously, click on "BIKES", and look at the amount of skins with 50 or less downloads. On that 1st page of "BIKES", 15/25 skins have 50 or less downloads. Don't you think thats saying something about your skin? Look at Gala's skin. 606 downloads

If you are not confident with the level of quality of your skin, maybe you should think about uploading to Mediafire.

Sorry if I'm offending anyone here, but I really don't want it turning into another MCM Factory.
what about people putting gear and even worse leatts on there... I guess the site is still beta so there should be a gear section in the future, but for now always use mediafire.
"It took Jesus 3 days to respawn, talk about LAG!"
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

Nah gear is fine. I'm gonna upload my gear there when I get the chance.
BMseX

Post by BMseX »

ok, I guess wake can sort it out easy when the sites complete.
"It took Jesus 3 days to respawn, talk about LAG!"
LuizH

Post by LuizH »

people should also learn how to rate
FORMER SUPERCROSS LEGEND
DJ99X

Post by DJ99X »

That too. People are rating shite skins 4.8, which is saying that the skin is nearly just as good as Gala's Pro Circuit Kawasaki skin
yomo

Post by yomo »

There are a few moderators, I know Goardy is one atleast.

Maybe they could make an educated decision and kindly tell them that due to the fact that they are new to skinning they should upload it somewhere else?

If there was 4-5 really good moderators eg. Goardy, DJ, Gala?, Wakestyle and DDMX because together they cover most bases (models, skins and tracks) (And sorry to leave people out there at atleast 50 people that could do it)
If as a majority they think that the skin isnt up to scratch they should just get rid of it and ask them to put it on MXS forums until they make the cut?

They should also moderate votes or atleast ask why they voted 5 for track textures when they were stock?
gordy

Post by gordy »

id say the moderation base for puremxs (myself and brent) have the areas of skinning, modelling and track creation covered fairly well, and trust me, there is nothing i would love to do more than wipe half the stuff on there. But, everything has to go through wake first, and i dunno what his policy is on the subject.
Myself and brent also used to moderate the votes (unapproving 5 out of of 5s) but trust me, people do not like it when their scores go down, and wake was getting a lot of complaints about it, so we stopped.
and when you really think about it, everyone has equal rights to use puremxs, and if you dont like their skins, just give them a bad review and move on.
instupitious.
giopanda

Post by giopanda »

i know i'm not very experienced and i'm still kind of a noob here, but i agree that pure mxs has something wrong, and with that i mean that most, or better say much of the stuff uploaded there is not very professional, and the most disturbing thing is that the ratings are high and comments are wonderful, but if you look closely, many times not even that closely, they don't really look good.
i think that taking every single person that uploads there and even kindly tell him to stop posting there because he's no good is not a nice move to make, because pure mxs is free and noone can deny me of doing what i want with a free website.
deleting bad stuff i guess it's even worse, like deleting 5/5 votes and stuff like that.
what i suggest is, when we pass from beta to 1.0, a simple password required to log in, password issued not by the site when you sign up, but from who we decide will be the administrators.
so if i'm a recognized good skinner, they will know and they will grant me the password to log in, if i'm not good at all and noone knows me they will never give me the password.
i would go with an invitation system too, so we try to avoid that some unstoppable noob ask to join ten times a day.
and noone would complain since the moderators decide who can come in and who can't.
there's always mediafire for everyone else, like i did.
i know my skin was good but maybe not enough for pure mxs so i decided to use mediafire.
the result is the same, i got 25 downloads and good comments in a single day without pissing off anyone.
so hope what i wrote makes any sense to you, thanx for reading!
Vellu
Team: IRRG

Post by Vellu »

gordy wrote: and when you really think about it, everyone has equal rights to use puremxs, and if you dont like their skins, just give them a bad review and move on.
But the thing is that nobody bothers to give a review to a POS skin. I don't visit puremxs too often, but now I went there and saw I was at top 15. I mean wtf, I have like one shitty skin there, and there's people like fred and ddmx behind me. This is just because I have only two reviews, from which the other is a fellow finn so of course he gives me high points :D
Stability:
jlv wrote: You can do some fairly tame whips with it set to 95, but to really get it sideways you need to set it under 60.
yomo

Post by yomo »

That sounds like a really good idea

We could make a topic on these forums like "PureMXS invitation" People post there skin with no commenting and the moderators decide if its good enough to give that user a password. People will have to wait a maximum of a day or two to get their password and PureMXS will be filled with professional skins

Then just make it a condition of uploading to the site that irrational comments can be deleted at a moderators wish?
giopanda

Post by giopanda »

yomo wrote:Then just make it a condition of uploading to the site that irrational comments can be deleted at a moderators wish?
that could be a little unethical but i guess is the right way to go, i mean i agree with higher votes from friends, but a vote of 5 on POS skin or model is a bit too much..