Upcoming Models #2

Post about creating and skinning models here
Kording
Team: Privateer

Re: Upcoming Models #2

Post by Kording »

m121c wrote:
Kording wrote:m121c, well I think creating the high poly first will get much better baking results ? Allthough I suck at baking I saw this in a lot of tutorials and tried it. I just like the way to work in quads first and then go back and re-topo the model. I agree with you cylindrical objects are your enemy with this method :D
I don't see how it would effect your bake any other than the fact re-topoing from the high poly would make them match more closely possibly?
I think that is exactly the idea behind this method
Tennis, Basketball and Baseball all requires one ball
Motocross requires two!
WellsMX524
Team: Aspect Visual Co.

Post by WellsMX524 »

Anyone wanna help me out here? The object is mirrored, and it didn't show up smoothed. Kinda looks like a turkey on thanksgiving. idk. Someone halp plz. I'm new to modeling.
m121c

Post by m121c »

To me it looks like the seam on the mirror plane isn't being welded. Which means the vertices are not connected where the object is being mirrored.
ExtremeManiac
Team: CycleTraderRockRiver

Post by ExtremeManiac »

That are connected. Just flip normals on the half you mirrored. I had that problem before and Stevo helped me out with that
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

ExtremeManiac wrote:That are connected. Just flip normals on the half you mirrored. I had that problem before and Stevo helped me out with that
Stevo who??
Hi
ExtremeManiac
Team: CycleTraderRockRiver

Post by ExtremeManiac »

You bob
attacker5
Team: Ub e moh tow

Post by attacker5 »

Dat aint stevo
SCHAFFERNOCKER
Team: blank

Post by SCHAFFERNOCKER »

Andy_Hack wrote:I also like the Low>High version better since you already got your base model, and all you need for it is pretty much just champher and turbo smoothing it (at simple objects).
The other way around from high poly to low poly needs a lot more work I'd say, since you kinda need to remodel all again.
speaking on terms of going from low to high, and please forgive me if this is not right, as I have not tested it yet. I was looking at the Msmooth and Tessellate modifiers, would this be an appropriate approach for coverting from low poly to high poly? From what Im reading its essentially just adding faces to your object. More faces produces a smoother result, correct?
Boblob801
Team: <3 Andy

Post by Boblob801 »

ExtremeManiac wrote:You bob
My memory must be shot, I don't seem to remember anything now days :cry:
Hi
Andy_Hack
Team: SplitFire

Post by Andy_Hack »

speaking on terms of going from low to high, and please forgive me if this is not right, as I have not tested it yet. I was looking at the Msmooth and Tessellate modifiers, would this be an appropriate approach for coverting from low poly to high poly? From what Im reading its essentially just adding faces to your object. More faces produces a smoother result, correct?[/quote]

You can say that its pretty much adding more faces to the object, but more faces dont have to produce a smoother result.
As you can see here:
1. Just a default cube
2. edge splitted cube, just to show what is a sharp edge
3. champhered edges, which shows, more faces dont have to make an object smoother. That technic is also used when you bake a model, and you got an object which is default smoothed, but you want it to look like it had sharp edges.
(in this case, we have a cube with a 90° edge, which means its a bit different to bake it, but thats another story)
4. your thought is also true, the more faces, the smoother the object.

I hope i could help you out, it might be a bit weird cause i dont know all the professional words for all the modifiers in other programs since i am using Wings3D.
Anyway, i got another excuse its 1:25 am, dont be too harsh with me :lol:
*fancy signature*
d4u5d6u7 wrote:good staff, nice skins, like
WellsMX524

Post by WellsMX524 »

Is this considered good poly flow? Even though it's on a basically flat cube? I've yet to do any curves yet, I am just learning the basics of blender. I know that's probably not my best bet to start modeling an entire bike, but I think it would be a good idea just to get my feet wet and learn.

Suggestions?
attacker5
Team: Ub e moh tow

Post by attacker5 »

USE LESS POLYS! Less polys give a smooth result, like a tonne less! Like make that whole thing out of 10 polys, then move on from there.
WellsMX524

Post by WellsMX524 »

attacker5 wrote:USE LESS POLYS! Less polys give a smooth result, like a tonne less! Like make that whole thing out of 10 polys, then move on from there.
I originally had it pretty low poly, and then I started adding cut loops to add symmetry. I'll post in here in a bit with an update.
Sandhapper
Team: MotoRAD

Post by Sandhapper »

WellsMX524 wrote:
attacker5 wrote:USE LESS POLYS! Less polys give a smooth result, like a tonne less! Like make that whole thing out of 10 polys, then move on from there.
I originally had it pretty low poly, and then I started adding cut loops to add symmetry. I'll post in here in a bit with an update.
A tip for you is to follow some good High-Poly modeling tutorials. These helped me a lot to get cleaner low poly models and a better work flow.

www.cgtuts.com
2013 EMF outdoors 2nd place overall
2013 MxSCentral outdoors 2nd place overall
2012 EMF outdoors 2nd overall
2012 SMA sx 2nd overall
2011 SMA outdoors champion

WellsMX524

Post by WellsMX524 »

Sandhapper wrote:
WellsMX524 wrote:
A tip for you is to follow some good High-Poly modeling tutorials. These helped me a lot to get cleaner low poly models and a better work flow.

http://www.cgtuts.com
Thanks man, I'll check it out.