Upcoming Models #2

Post about creating and skinning models here
Motolife_99
Team: KMR

Re: Upcoming Models #2

Post by Motolife_99 »

AtlasTechnologies wrote:only retards and 12 year olds are going to pay $100 for a model.
well, they're banking bucks :lol:
Hows the arai coming along? hella pumped for it
GKSracing104
Team: GeforceMX

Post by GKSracing104 »

AtlasTechnologies wrote:but lets be realistic. only retards and 12 year olds are going to pay $100 for a model.
I don't mind at all paying for a model that creators have invested so much time in. Partially because I have tried to model and I don't have the patience to make something that requires so much time and effort to perfect for a community of mostly greedy, ungrateful assholes. So Jay, Mason, Attacker, Hack, Ohagan, Damien, and anyone else that's ever modeled anything for MXS, huge props to you!
Andy_Hack wrote:I'm honestly not really impressed.
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

KTM57 wrote:
checkerz wrote:Where it does get sticky is, creators like myself see Mason or Jay or Ohagen or Attacker or some goon in the upcoming skins thread charging money (and getting it) for their content while us other creators put in just as much to growing this community and have shared all our work for free to everyone including Mason, Jay, Ohagen, Attacker, etc. but we aren't allowed to theirs without paying. So clearly, that says to me that I need to sell my stuff so that I can pay to buy the stuff others make.
So you gave a bunch of stuff out for free, and now you're sad that you don't get anything back?
Negative.

I am saying that, I would rather continue to do everything for the low cost of shared content and growing a community. However, since others are taking it upon themselves to charge for content, stuff that I would normally "pay for" with my track services (by everyone putting stuff out for free), I will instead still pay for that content with my track services, but moving forward it'll have a payment to me for tracks as the middle man so I can collect money to then re-spend.

I have a plan in place that will do just that - just completing the content ahead of time to execute the plan.

Ohagen, I mentioned you because you have sold content. I also mentioned Mason and Jay who I am friends with and have a ton of respect for. I'm not mentioning names in a bad way. I think Mason put a ton of thought (and I spoke to him about this at length as well) to what he's doing and he's trying to provide the best of both worlds.

Let me ask you this, since tracks aren't "valuable"...

Would everyone still be playing this game if we just had the same old stock tracks with unlimited bikes/gear.

On the flip side, without new models or gear, but unlimited new tracks, would everyone still be playing this game?
Pumaxcs
Team: Kyle/Luiz

Post by Pumaxcs »

No and no because I'm shallow and appearance is everything to me.
Everytime you post something stupid, a baby gets punched in the face. Please be smart, for the children.
MXS Cares
jlv wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 am Pumaxcs would know better than I do.
SMR 510RR
Team: Privateer

Post by SMR 510RR »

I liked Mason's kickstarter idea better personally but its his model and he can do with it what he pleases.

The problem I have with charging for tracks is that most people that have brought up the idea have content from other people included in their tracks. Decals, statues, etc. that are other peoples content should not be sold without their permission no matter how small a part they play in the track. In that way models (meaning bikes and the like) are simpler because there is generally only one person that started from nothing and made the model.

Similarly, lets say I made a new boot model and put it on one of P2sta's rider models and then sold it without P2sta's permission. That would be BS.
aeffertz
Team: Studio ATE

Post by aeffertz »

SMR 510RR wrote:Similarly, lets say I made a new boot model and put it on one of P2sta's rider models and then sold it without P2sta's permission. That would be BS.

Just playing devils advocate...

Couldn't you just sell the boot model alone and whoever bought it could put it on whatever they wanted to (a p2sta model), no?
checkerz
Team: RaGe Factory

Post by checkerz »

SMR 510RR wrote:I liked Mason's kickstarter idea better personally but its his model and he can do with it what he pleases.

The problem I have with charging for tracks is that most people that have brought up the idea have content from other people included in their tracks. Decals, statues, etc. that are other peoples content should not be sold without their permission no matter how small a part they play in the track. In that way models (meaning bikes and the like) are simpler because there is generally only one person that started from nothing and made the model.

Similarly, lets say I made a new boot model and put it on one of P2sta's rider models and then sold it without P2sta's permission. That would be BS.
100% correct and why I don't intend to sell the actual track. Those will still be given to the community for free.
mx985

Post by mx985 »

Well my up coming bell, got lost in all this bs I guess lol.anyway I'll say this I hope to progress, take time to learn more about modeling. I already take quite some time on mine. but in the end I'll continue to release my work no charge. and learning this stuff is no easy task.
Motolife_99
Team: KMR

Post by Motolife_99 »

mx985 wrote:Well my up coming bell, got lost in all this bs I guess lol.anyway I'll say this I hope to progress, take time to learn more about modeling. I already take quite some time on mine. but in the end I'll continue to release my work no charge. and learning this stuff is no easy task.
Yeah man, take it slow when it comes to the baking process, get some clean bakes bruv
Bhardy448
Team: team.fammx.com

Post by Bhardy448 »

mx985 wrote:Well my up coming bell, got lost in all this bs I guess lol.anyway I'll say this I hope to progress, take time to learn more about modeling. I already take quite some time on mine. but in the end I'll continue to release my work no charge. and learning this stuff is no easy task.
Thank you for this! Hope it comes out great!
AtlasTechnologies wrote:only retards and 12 year olds are going to pay $100 for a model.
Actually I'm 22 & not mentally challenged and would pay $100+ for masons Honda, and I even told him $100 was too cheap. (my opinion) It's called paying it forward.. showing appreciation, rather than commenting on his "free release topic" saying "thanks your the best."
jlv wrote:It's OK. I think he's Australian.
SMR 510RR

Post by SMR 510RR »

aeffertz wrote:
SMR 510RR wrote:Similarly, lets say I made a new boot model and put it on one of P2sta's rider models and then sold it without P2sta's permission. That would be BS.

Just playing devils advocate...

Couldn't you just sell the boot model alone and whoever bought it could put it on whatever they wanted to (a p2sta model), no?
Well I don't think Mason's or Jay's models will include .blend or .obj and would just be JMs and a template so in that case no. But yea I could I am just trying to compare it to the models side because I think there has always been a big difference in how people think about tracks vs. models. I think one of the differences is that through RF/JLV we have all gotten used to getting all the SX rounds and all the Nationals every year. In comparison bike releases have been sporadic and I think that leaves people feeling like a good new bike is worth more if that makes sense.
checkerz wrote:
SMR 510RR wrote:I liked Mason's kickstarter idea better personally but its his model and he can do with it what he pleases.

100% correct and why I don't intend to sell the actual track. Those will still be given to the community for free.
Just to be clear I wasn't talking about you, I know you are an adult and understand these things but there was another recent thread where it looked like this may happen.
mx985

Post by mx985 »

Imagelooks like i need alot of retopology,my bakes are comming out
pretty distorted or my high poly wasn't high enough.
Pottsy

Post by Pottsy »

I seriously hate throwing my 2 cents in, and someone is going to hate me for even posting a comment about this. But here it goes!

I have a job and i make money. And i have no problem buying a model, but if the model is priced more than the game, that kind of makes me giggle. (No hate, please) Models have for the most part always been free. MXS lives off of user created DLC. I don't model. So I am not in the same spot as you (jay and m121c) are. But i am sure, if i did make a model that took me that load of hours, giving it to a bunch of kids who use gimp to throw rainbows on it and post it on the forums is the last thing i am going to do. Posting it for sale acts sort of as a filter from the kids who cant skin. So i would do the exact same thing!

Now the other side of it. If I created a game that lived off of user created dlc, and creators started selling their work for my game, and making money off my game, I would probably be against that. Especially if it is being sold for more than the game is being sold for. Now if it sold for 10 or 20$, and the game is being sold for 40$, that would be more exceptable rather than the 100$ models against a 40$ game.

I always thought to myself, if i ever invented something, I would rather sell 20 units at 5$ instead of 5 units at 20$. Your making the same amount of money, but its easier to please the community and people, giving you a better rep. Of course that would make it a little easier for someone to say "I only lost 5$, let me give it to everyone on the forums and screw the creator." But its something to think about.

I support the modeling and time you guys put in, but i cant necessarily say that you should be changing MXS to paid dlc like you are starting to do. Jay, everyone who has logged onto the forums has heard about you and seen your models. I don't doubt you could get a job doing modeling for a big business. You obviously have the skill. (Sounds extremely childish) Go work for Pixar! They only give jobs to people who can model and animate. How would you like to have your name in the credits for Frozen. Wait. Never mind. I wouldn't want my name on that movie either.

Sorry guys for the novel but just wanted to voice myself.

Wells and vortex, Model is looking great! Is there any chance of some more detail being added to the side of the engine? I cant get m121c's honda out of my mind with the high detail engine.
Pottsy

Post by Pottsy »

Just thought of this. JLV, in the near future, why dont you make a file format just for sim? Almost like a saf, but you can edit the things inside. And this one folder like file was specific to your computer? Such as when i pack the jm's and pngs into this file format, i have to provide some info on the persons computer in whom im giving it to.

And one more thing, JLV, you should make a deal to buy some of these high detail models for the stock models ingame. Save you a lot of work!
attacker5
Team: Ub e moh tow

Post by attacker5 »

checkerz wrote:Where it does get sticky is, creators like myself see Mason or Jay or Ohagen or Attacker or some goon in the upcoming skins thread charging money (and getting it) for their content while us other creators put in just as much to growing this community and have shared all our work for free to everyone including Mason, Jay, Ohagen, Attacker, etc. but we aren't allowed to theirs without paying. So clearly, that says to me that I need to sell my stuff so that I can pay to buy the stuff others make.
You are seriously hung up bro... its been like 4 years... move the hell on.